Reload this Page >

Learning to drive in the US

Wikiposts

Learning to drive in the US

Old Nov 27th 2011, 6:49 am
Just Joined

anttest is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Learning to drive in the US

I am in the US under the VWP and never learnt to drive back in the UK.

Does anyone know if it's still possible to learn to drive in the US without being a citizen/having a visa/having a uk license

Thanks!
Old Nov 27th 2011, 6:55 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Learning to drive in the US

Originally Posted by anttest

Does anyone know if it's still possible to learn to drive in the US without being a citizen/having a visa/having a uk license

Thanks!
Fifty states and a few odds and ends equals that many answers.
Old Nov 27th 2011, 6:55 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks!
Why would you want to?
If you do not live in the states, then the license will be of limited use in the UK. Get a license for where ever it is that you are resident.
Depedning on laws in the state you are in, you may need ID to get a provisional license (or whatever it is called in America) ID that as a visitor, you probably do not have - e.g. proof of residence or SSN#.

Last edited by kimilseung; Nov 27th 2011 at 7:07 am.
Old Nov 27th 2011, 7:07 am
Just Joined

Basically because I need a car to get about over here but am not going to be in the UK for a long enough period anytime soon to learn to drive
Old Nov 27th 2011, 7:09 am
Just Joined

and California is the state I'm in if that makes a difference.
Old Nov 27th 2011, 7:14 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

and California is the state I'm in if that makes a difference.
This might help

Last edited by kimilseung; Nov 27th 2011 at 7:22 am.
Old Nov 27th 2011, 7:18 am
Just Joined

Thank you for the help! I'm guessing I need a work visa etc to get a SSN? Sorry if I seem very naive, I'm 21 and straight out of uni
Old Nov 27th 2011, 7:27 am
He/him

Thank you for the help! I'm guessing I need a work visa etc to get a SSN? Sorry if I seem very naive, I'm 21 and straight out of uni
I edited my post above as reading further, it does not seem that clear. Maybe someone who knows better will be along, but it says:

"If you are legally present in the US, but ineligible for an SSN, you are exempt from SSN requirements. However, you must still provide an acceptable birth date/legal presence document"

and on legal presence:

"Valid foreign passport with a valid Record of Arrival/Departure (form I-94)"
Old Nov 27th 2011, 7:41 am
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

I'm interested to see how this goes. I would have thought you would need a SSN but I guess maybe you don't.

Where in California will you be based?

Your first challenge is to find a California DMV office that can book you an appointment in a decent timescale (I think the waiting time for mine was about a month) and then process your application in a timely manner (the DMV is not known for efficiency). Remember that you will need to do the theory test before you can book the driving test.

Your second challenge is then to obtain a vehicle to do the test in. I've heard of driving schools that can help you with that, but generally you would use your own or a friend's vehicle.

You need to have insurance on the vehicle you use for the test.
Old Nov 27th 2011, 9:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Your insurance is going to be very very expensive (if you are even able to acquire insurance on your own). Presume you would be getting insurance of course ;

Even if you could drive NOW you still could not rent a car since the majority of rental firms require you to be 25 and over.
Old Nov 27th 2011, 1:07 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Have an idea that if it is possible, the license will expire with the I-94W. Also, holding a US license as a visitor is a red flag to CBP.
Old Nov 27th 2011, 2:21 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Under the VWP, you are only here in the US for the maximum of 90 days. It is near to impossible to get a driver's license within that amount of time if you do not have a license to "swap" or at least driving experience. You are say you don't know how to drive and need to accomplish that first.

Also since 9/11, you need to present a valid visa to the department of motor vehicle to apply for a license. The need for a social security can be waived if you are ineligible for one but I don't believe the need for a valid visa in your passport can be waived.

If you were able to get a license, are you then going to buy a car? Or will you be renting one?
Old Nov 27th 2011, 3:08 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Under the VWP, you are only here in the US for the maximum of 90 days. It is near to impossible to get a driver's license within that amount of time if you do not have a license to "swap" or at least driving experience. You are say you don't know how to drive and need to accomplish that first.

Also since 9/11, you need to present a valid visa to the department of motor vehicle to apply for a license. The need for a social security can be waived if you are ineligible for one but I don't believe the need for a valid visa in your passport can be waived.

If you were able to get a license, are you then going to buy a car? Or will you be renting one?
You can't get a license without a visa, I've just had awful probems renewing my Californian license even though I had all the paperwork to extend my L visa, but didn't have the updated visa in my passport as I hadn't left the US. The DMV kept issuing me with temporary licenses, but the legal presence office kept rejecting the actual license until I had been to the UK and got my visa in my passport.
Old Nov 27th 2011, 4:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

It is essentially impossible to get a California driver's license if you are in the US under the VWP.

California requires "proof of legal presence" in order for you to get a drivers' license - an I-94 in your passport would satisfy this requirement but now that the physical green I-94W form has all but disappeared I am not sure if you could manage to convince the DMV that the stamp in your passport meant the same thing - even if you could convince them, they won't actually issue you with a license if your "legal presence" document expires within less than 60 days - and even if you managed to get a license it would still expire whenever your "legal presence" ends ...

See this link for details.

Last edited by md95065; Nov 27th 2011 at 4:28 pm.
Old Nov 28th 2011, 5:12 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Even if it were possible to get a drivers permit...isn't there a requirement for x number of hours of classes before getting in a car if you dont' already hold a license?

Driving schools are rare and tend to be pricey...but even using one, practice in a car afterwards would be hard. Renting a car will be a no goer, I think Enterprise is the only place that'll rent to under 25 year old and it is mentally more expensive than the regular advertised rates.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.