Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Learning and Development/Training/Generalist HR Opportunities?

Learning and Development/Training/Generalist HR Opportunities?

Old Feb 23rd 2011, 7:13 pm
Just Joined

pjp101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Learning and Development/Training/Generalist HR Opportunities?

Hi

I'm currently looking into the opportunity of securing work overseas, particularly Dubai, Australia, New Zealand or USA in a Learning and Development/Training or generalist (people development) HR role.

Its been suggested to me by a friend, who's now working in Dubai, that I register on this site as a means of highlighting my intentions to see if anyone is aware of anything or can help.

I have a diverse learning and development and generalist management background and am well qualified including two Masters Degrees (one in Business Administration). I can certainly forward an uptodate CV if you're aware of such roles or if you know of any good agencies who have a strong evidence base of securing overseas positions in my field that I can investigate.

Many many thanks in advance for any help or guidance you can offer, I really appreciate it!

Julia
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 8:02 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Learning and Development/Training/Generalist HR Opportunities?

Originally Posted by pjp101
Many many thanks in advance for any help or guidance you can offer, I really appreciate it!
In a nutshell, you will need a US company to sponsor you for an employment-based visa... but there are no lists of sponsoring companies. Oz or NZ would likely be a tad easier than the US.

Ian
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 8:05 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I'd suggest for the US you first read this link:

How to Live and Work in the USA

It will advise you of the various means of getting a visa to live and work in the US. You will have to see if or where you fit.
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 8:09 pm
Just Joined

pjp101 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
In a nutshell, you will need a US company to sponsor you for an employment-based visa... but there are no lists of sponsoring companies. Oz or NZ would likely be a tad easier than the US.

Ian
Ian, thank you so very much for that quick reply - I really appreciate it. As I'm just starting out I didn't want to get too much into visa and immigration requirements until I can establish whether the employment opportunities exist and where. I will however, do some research on potential sponsoring companies as an initial next step while looking for that awesome opportunity abroad Thanks again, your guidance is really welcome!
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 8:11 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Ian, thank you so very much for that quick reply - I really appreciate it. As I'm just starting out I didn't want to get too much into visa and immigration requirements until I can establish whether the employment opportunities exist and where. I will however, do some research on potential sponsoring companies as an initial next step while looking for that awesome opportunity abroad Thanks again, your guidance is really welcome!

Therein lies the tie between living and working in the US and being sponsored by a US Company for a work visa.

They do go hand in hand and only certain types of employment offer company sponsorship.
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 8:32 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Read the wiki link posted the, you'll get an idea if there's a hope in hell of a visa or not. If not, it'll save you a stack of research.

No idea on the other countries, but a quick over view on how feasible the visa is to obtain should be your first thing you do.

Good luck with the international job hunt though and welcome to BE!
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 10:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Try Australia.

Ozzidoc (HR Manager -> Physician)
Old Feb 24th 2011, 1:26 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

As I'm just starting out I didn't want to get too much into visa and immigration requirements until I can establish whether the employment opportunities exist and where.
It's almost the other way around. The jobs are out there. You can find "a job" just anywhere. But finding "a job" that will include an employer who will to sponsor you and in a visa category that you qualify for is really the tricky bit.

We get a post like yours pretty much every day. You'll save hours, actually days worth of research if you sort out the visa issue first as it relates to relocating to many countries. Find a country or two that that has a visa category for people with your background and then go hunting for the jobs (they're out there). In some places you just won't have a chance unless you have an advanced degree in a critical field (think doctor, engineer, etc) but in others the door might be open.

Good luck.
Old Feb 25th 2011, 3:10 am
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Julia

We've been here (Phoenix, AZ) a little over 3 months - I'm in a training role here, came over on an L1 visa - US company sponsored, and I had worked for them for at least a year outside of the UK (pre-req for L1).

It's unlikely any CIPD qualifications you have will count for anything here on their own - a post graduate degree will likely be needed, and it will need to be from a 'proper' university in the UK rather than something acquired through the internet... 'they' do check and do an equivalence test or check.

The HR laws and practice are quite different in some key areas.

One piece of advice you may wish to consider is to get very clear about why you want to move - is it for lifestyle reasons or professional reasons - and I know the answer is likely to be both - but which is the dominant one.

I'm happy to answer specifics via PM if you feel the need, or publicly on this forum.

Cheers

Harry