Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Learner driver moving to CA

Learner driver moving to CA

Old Nov 8th 2008, 12:08 pm
Just Joined

Fisket is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Learner driver moving to CA

Hey everyone! I'm new on here but it seems like there's loads of people who know a lot about all these kinds of things, so I'd be really grateful if anyone could help

I'm moving to California, and I currently have a learner's UK driver's license. Does anyone know how it would work for me over there? Can I take my test there and get a US license?

I don't want to be doomed to never having a full license!

Does anyone know? Thanks so much!
Old Nov 8th 2008, 12:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Learner driver moving to CA

Hi and welcome
Take a look at this http://www.dmv.ca.gov/dl/dl.htm
It should give you all the help you need.
Whatever you have already done in the UK won't translate to the US and "i think" you'll have to start the process again....no big deal though the tests are nothing like the UK one..much easier
Old Nov 8th 2008, 12:51 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Lisa's right - you'll just "study" for and take the piss-easy California test.

Do it ASAP when you arrive - it's basically impossible to live here without driving. You may think you'll be able to use public transport, but after your first few bus rides, you'll change your mind.
Old Nov 8th 2008, 2:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

mayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by dbj1000
Lisa's right - you'll just "study" for and take the piss-easy California test.
Piss easy maybe but still get plenty of road time in. If you're a confident and competent driver you'll be fine. Where will you be in CA? I wouldn't fancy LA much from what I've heard though maybe the gridlock would give you lots of decision making time.
Here in the bay area it can be pretty hectic sometimes but mostly it's OK but I would say it's easier driving in the UK than here since it's more of a freeforall here.

Good luck.
Old Nov 8th 2008, 5:03 pm
Just Joined

Hey everyone, thanks for your help

I'll go and check out that link Lisa, thank you

I'm a pretty experienced driver over here, I've just had problems passing my test! I'll be sure to get in a good amount of practice first, since I'll have to get used to being on the other side of the road etc, though hopefully it won't be too hard to adjust.

Well I'll be working in San Diego and living around Oceanside, it looks like, so I won't have to cope with LA traffic straightaway
Old Nov 8th 2008, 5:24 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

without a UK license though, you'll have to use a school car as you wouldn't be able to rent a car for the test, and you'll need someone with a license to take you to the test centre etc...
Old Nov 8th 2008, 6:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fisket
Hey everyone, thanks for your help

I'll go and check out that link Lisa, thank you

I'm a pretty experienced driver over here, I've just had problems passing my test! I'll be sure to get in a good amount of practice first, since I'll have to get used to being on the other side of the road etc, though hopefully it won't be too hard to adjust.

Well I'll be working in San Diego and living around Oceanside, it looks like, so I won't have to cope with LA traffic straightaway
In the USA you will pass if you actually only kill 1 person whilst driving the 4 minute course on the test
Old Nov 8th 2008, 6:18 pm
I'm off to find a spanner

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
In the USA you will pass if you actually only kill 1 person whilst driving the 4 minute course on the test
Only 1? Maine is way more lenient we were allowed 2 and a moose.
Old Nov 8th 2008, 9:24 pm
Just Joined

Damn, I can kill a person? I thought I was only allowed to get away with maiming someone!

See this is why I haven't been able to pass in the UK... They're so strict! 'Watch out for that telephone box', 'That was someone's cat', 'Dear God pull over, we need to go back and check his pulse'...

Old Nov 9th 2008, 12:49 am
Forum Regular

Alan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't worry - if you're an inexperienced driver with little road experience you'll fit in fine around here. Just don't hit my car on the 5 down to San Diego