Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Layovers on domestic flights

Layovers on domestic flights

Old Aug 7th 2012, 12:11 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Layovers on domestic flights

Thinking back, virtually all my flights in the US have either been international to/from domestic, or direct. I'm seeing flight searches come up with layovers of as little as 35 minutes for Salt Lake City and just under an hour for Phoenix, neither of which I've been to. Am I mad to even consider these "connections"?!

I'll check for later flights from the layover airport but can't really rely on an airline re-booking a missed connection in case those flights are fully booked.
Old Aug 7th 2012, 12:55 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Layovers on domestic flights

Originally Posted by GeoffM
Thinking back, virtually all my flights in the US have either been international to/from domestic, or direct. I'm seeing flight searches come up with layovers of as little as 35 minutes for Salt Lake City and just under an hour for Phoenix, neither of which I've been to. Am I mad to even consider these "connections"?!

I'll check for later flights from the layover airport but can't really rely on an airline re-booking a missed connection in case those flights are fully booked.
It depends whether it's just a layover, or whether you need to change planes. A lot of times, a flight will go through a 2nd city just to drop off/pick up more passengers, but YOU don't have to change planes. You stay seated, and then it takes off again in half an hour.

Rene
Old Aug 7th 2012, 1:08 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

If you have to change aircraft I try and avoid anything under an hour. If the airline offers a 35 minute transfer than it is possible. But what concerns me most is the flight running late. With just 35 minutes there is no room for delays.
Old Aug 7th 2012, 3:08 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

I tend to be nervous about anything under 90 minutes after a couple of painful experiences. It does depend on time of year. I'm extra cautious in the winter (snow) and early-mid summer (thunderstorms) than I am other times of year.
Old Aug 7th 2012, 4:04 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I only encountered that short layover between flights once and that was once too often for me. The first leg of the trip was delayed leaving the originating airport and left me only 10 minutes to make my connecting flight which was at the other end of the arriving terminal. Thankfully, because there were several people on my flight taking the same connecting flight they did delay their boarding by 15 minutes so that we could make the connection.

Now when I travel in that manner, i.e. NY to Hattiesburg, MS, I leave an 1 or more in Memphis so that I can make the commuter flight in ample time.
Old Aug 7th 2012, 5:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

DavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond repute

I hate short layovers.

I will rush for no one, so always look for the longer ones. I have even spent the night in Toronto because i preferred the 8 hour layover to the 1 hour they had offered online as the default. Glad i did as well the flight leaving the hour layover was very delayed. I would have been a nervous wreck had i been on it
Old Aug 7th 2012, 6:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

It's a change of planes (various combinations, but often only 35-60 minutes to change). I should have been more specific: is there something about SLC/PHX that is particularly good, like only a handful of gates for example. I wouldn't consider such a time in DFW, for example.

But anyway, I think I'll try for a longer connection time! Thanks.
Old Aug 7th 2012, 6:42 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

It's a change of planes (various combinations, but often only 35-60 minutes to change). I should have been more specific: is there something about SLC/PHX that is particularly good, like only a handful of gates for example. I wouldn't consider such a time in DFW, for example.

But anyway, I think I'll try for a longer connection time! Thanks.
Phoenix has 3 terminals - T2, T3 and T4.

Terminals 2 and 3 are pretty small and you can walk between them. Terminal 4 is pretty big, and it's a relatively long way from the gates to the exit or from a gate on one side to one on the other side.

If you're coming in on, say, T2 or T3 and changing to another flight in the same Terminal, ten minutes will be more than enough.

If you're coming in on T4 and changing to a flight on T4 but at the opposite end, 30 minutes will be plenty. But if you're coming in on T4 and changing to T2, I'd give yourself at least 45 minutes as you'll have to wait for the bus. They're building a monorail between the terminals -- but it ain't working yet!
Old Aug 7th 2012, 6:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

Even having to change planes in LHR T5, I like at least a 2hr layover.

Years ago coming off a cruise in PR, the plane to Boston was far too small for the number booked on the flight, so they had to send for a larger one, changing in Atlanta. We had to sprint from one end of the terminal to the other in Atlanta, but got on just before the doors closed. We had originally got a 3hr layover. If it had been shorter we would have missed the flight.

Try and get non-stop flights wherever possible, so you and your luggage arrive at the same time.
Old Aug 7th 2012, 7:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

DavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joto

Try and get non-stop flights wherever possible, so you and your luggage arrive at the same time.
No guarantees that your luggage is going to arrive with you on direct flights. My luggage never arrived in London early this year, spent a fair few hours in Primark upon arrival.

That said, regardless of the amount of lay overs you should always expect your luggage to arrive at the same time as you. Your bags are suppose to board the plane you are on.
Old Aug 7th 2012, 8:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Phoenix has 3 terminals - T2, T3 and T4.[...]
Thanks, that's helpful to know - something that terminal maps are rarely able to convey on their own.

LHR T5 is a completely different beast!

I have a choice of LAX, which is over 2 hours away on the wrong side of LA (=traffic) with lots of flights, several direct. Or ONT/SBA which are an hour away each but with less choice of flights, and I don't recall any direct flights which I would prefer anyway. Price about the same.
Old Aug 7th 2012, 8:46 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

At least, otherwise a touch tight for champers in the lounge...