Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Laws I wish were enforced

Laws I wish were enforced

Old May 26th 2013, 6:27 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Laws I wish were enforced

Originally Posted by lansbury
We have a photo radar van in our town. We only have two main highways going through town, one of which is 30mph and the other 50mph. Our van does not issue a ticket unless the vehicle is 11mph or more over the posted limit.

After all the cost of running the van, officer salary, court time and the Judges and two court staff salaries are paid, and all other admin cost, the van makes about $500k a year. That is how many people drive at least 11mph over the limit. It isn't like people don't know we have it, as our "speed trap" has featured on all the local news stations.
And that's a perfect example of why the limits should be enforced. Not because it's a nice little earner (that's just a bonus), but rather to stop the seemingly widespread attitude among drivers that rules don't matter to them once they get behind the wheel.
Old May 26th 2013, 6:36 pm
Saxon

TerryVA is just really niceTerryVA is just really niceTerryVA is just really niceTerryVA is just really niceTerryVA is just really niceTerryVA is just really niceTerryVA is just really niceTerryVA is just really nice

It's been my experience that (traffic/any) laws are only enforced within sight of a police officer. Also, if there's a group of cars going faster than the limit then the police will pull over the slowest one. I hope the traffic fine goes towards the vehicle budget, so they can start to catch the faster ones.
Old May 27th 2013, 1:06 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Couple of days ago we were crossing the road in Boston on a 'walk' sign. A car turning left decided that rather than wait for us to cross he'd take the corner as fast as possible in front of us.

The police car behind him waited for us to cross, put on his blue lights, and immediately pulled him over. We waved as we passed him :-)
Old May 27th 2013, 2:48 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Cops down my way just watch and do nothing. There were two parked side by side and another across the street when a slew of cars didn't bother to stop while I was at the cross walk...
Old May 27th 2013, 2:58 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by materialcontroller
And that's a perfect example of why the limits should be enforced. Not because it's a nice little earner (that's just a bonus), but rather to stop the seemingly widespread attitude among drivers that rules don't matter to them once they get behind the wheel.
The purpose of a speed limit should be to inform motorists of what is a safe speed. On a highway, a safe speed is generally determined by the flow of traffic. But most of our highway speed limits are set arbitrarily low. Drivers tend to choose a speed that they find to be comfortable, so the low limits only serve to increase the number of violators.

If you want better compliance with speed limits, then the answer usually lies in increasing the speed limit to a realistic level that accounts for how drivers use the road. (Most drivers will choose a speed that is appropriate for the highway design.) When compliance is low, then the problem is usually with the law, not with the driver.

If anything, low limits encourage scofflaws. Since the limits make no sense, some begin to presume that other controls are equally arbitrary. You shouldn't want a situation in which drivers come to believe that all of the laws, not just the limits, are arbitrary.
Old May 27th 2013, 3:15 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Cops down my way just watch and do nothing. There were two parked side by side and another across the street when a slew of cars didn't bother to stop while I was at the cross walk...
They were probably waiting for a specific person/ vehicle to show up. Pairs of cops waiting and watching are commonly on a specific assignment, not just looking for speeders and other low level infractions.
Old May 27th 2013, 3:36 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
They were probably waiting for a specific person/ vehicle to show up. Pairs of cops waiting and watching are commonly on a specific assignment, not just looking for speeders and other low level infractions.
In our sleepy burbs, it just means there was a deal at the Dunkin' D's

Though seriously, it would make sense if they were across town, but not at that particular junction
Old May 27th 2013, 4:06 am
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
We're they outside of a Dunkin' Donuts, by any chance?
Old May 27th 2013, 4:47 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

On my commute, I tend to stick to the limit - 65 on my bit of freeway. I frequently get overtaken/cut up by School Buses.
Old May 27th 2013, 11:17 am
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
The purpose of a speed limit should be to inform motorists of what is a safe speed. On a highway, a safe speed is generally determined by the flow of traffic. But most of our highway speed limits are set arbitrarily low. Drivers tend to choose a speed that they find to be comfortable, so the low limits only serve to increase the number of violators.

If you want better compliance with speed limits, then the answer usually lies in increasing the speed limit to a realistic level that accounts for how drivers use the road. (Most drivers will choose a speed that is appropriate for the highway design.) When compliance is low, then the problem is usually with the law, not with the driver.

If anything, low limits encourage scofflaws. Since the limits make no sense, some begin to presume that other controls are equally arbitrary. You shouldn't want a situation in which drivers come to believe that all of the laws, not just the limits, are arbitrary.
The only part of that which I agree with is the first sentence. Speed limits are about safety.

The rest of it is just an attempt at justification for individual drivers to make their own assessments of risks and to drive accordingly. That is the problem with compliance - it's not the law, it's more the fact that every driver arrogantly thinks that "they" know what's best.

Last edited by materialcontroller; May 27th 2013 at 12:22 pm.
Old May 28th 2013, 1:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

rallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Weeze
I didn't specify using a knife and fork at the same time!
I thought that was illegal in general in the US anyway, going by the ones that I know
Old May 28th 2013, 2:32 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

The only part of that which I agree with is the first sentence. Speed limits are about safety.

The rest of it is just an attempt at justification for individual drivers to make their own assessments of risks and to drive accordingly. That is the problem with compliance - it's not the law, it's more the fact that every driver arrogantly thinks that "they" know what's best.
I agree with everything except the highlighted.

If that happens it seems to be coincidental.
Old May 28th 2013, 3:27 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Boiler
I agree with everything except the highlighted.

If that happens it seems to be coincidental.
Except that there has been a huge amount of research carried out into automobile safety down the years and the vast majority of it, unsurprisingly, has found that as speeds are reduced, so are the severity of injuries in an accident.

That's not to say that speed limits aren't potentially employed for other reasons (eg. reducing emissions and environmental impact through increasing fuel economy is one).
Old May 28th 2013, 3:50 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Except that there has been a huge amount of research carried out into automobile safety down the years and the vast majority of it, unsurprisingly, has found that as speeds are reduced, so are the severity of injuries in an accident. .....
So let's eliminate vehicular deaths by reducing all speed limits to 4mph and mandating that you must have someone walking ahead of each vehicle waiving a red flag!
Old May 28th 2013, 3:51 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Round here money raising is the biggie.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.