British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Laws I wish were enforced (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/laws-i-wish-were-enforced-798127/)

Beaverstate May 26th 2013 8:40 am

Laws I wish were enforced

Noise laws. I hate hearing a car stereo from several blocks away.
While I'm at it phoning/texting while driving.
True story: I saw a woman (easily could have been a man) weaving down a curvy hillside road while texting with two youngsters in tow. Was it really that important?

materialcontroller May 26th 2013 10:56 am

Re: Laws I wish were enforced

Speed limits. In fact every driving law going.

Pulaski May 26th 2013 11:49 am

Over the years that I have been in the US commuting daily on the Interstate, I have seen drivers engaged in just about every imaginable task distracting them from what they're supposed to be focused on while sitting in the front left seat. My personal favorites include putting on make-up, reading a book, and eating a bowl of cereal! :scaredhair:

Bob May 26th 2013 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by materialcontroller (Post 10725229)

In town, I'd agree.

Less so when the speed limit is 50mph on a motorway in the middle of nowhere, like a lot of I-90/95 is down my way.

Oh and texting on the move, see that a lot, even the cops doing it. One of the local highschools have a smashed up car by the front gate that was caved in by someone who was texting as a warning to the kids over the holidays.

Bob May 26th 2013 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 10725285)
My personal favorites include putting on make-up, reading a book, and eating a bowl of cereal! :scaredhair:

Worst I've seen, a chap in a Merc, having a wank, as he over took me.

Close second, a chap in a Vette, pouring vodka into his OJ and slurping it down, while stuck in traffic.

ChocolateBabz May 26th 2013 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 10725393)
Worst I've seen, a chap in a Merc, having a wank, as he over took me.

Close second, a chap in a Vette, pouring vodka into his OJ and slurping it down, while stuck in traffic.

I saw a woman eating sushi...with chopsticks, I can barely master an Starbucks without spilling oh and I simply turn my phone off and my stereo up, car time is karaoke time :D

Weeze May 26th 2013 2:06 pm

I saw a man eating a full breakfast from a proper plate and using a knife and fork.
I've started putting my bag in the back so my phone is out of temptation.

AmerLisa May 26th 2013 2:34 pm

I don't think there is a law, but there should be... People having their little dogs in their laps as they drive!:eek::frown: It's just crazy and annoying!

MMcD May 26th 2013 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by Beaverstate (Post 10725056)
Noise laws.

....and air pollution levels re: gas powered leaf blowers

Pulaski May 26th 2013 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by Weeze (Post 10725434)
..... from a proper plate and using a knife and fork. ....

Riiiiggghhht! :rolleyes: ..... Next you'll be telling us he had a yeti in the back seat! :rofl:

Mr Weeze May 26th 2013 3:29 pm

Traffic laws for cops in non-emergency situations. Saw one run a red light on Friday.

Bob May 26th 2013 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by Mr Weeze (Post 10725514)
Traffic laws for cops in non-emergency situations. Saw one run a red light on Friday.

They never seem to stop for people at cross walks either.

Weeze May 26th 2013 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 10725491)
Riiiiggghhht! :rolleyes: ..... Next you'll be telling us he had a yeti in the back seat! :rofl:

I didn't specify using a knife and fork at the same time!

Bink May 26th 2013 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by Mr Weeze (Post 10725514)

I'm with you on that. The amount of times I have seen a cops lights go on just so they can run a red light and then turn them off when they've done so is incredible.

lansbury May 26th 2013 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by materialcontroller (Post 10725229)

We have a photo radar van in our town. We only have two main highways going through town, one of which is 30mph and the other 50mph. Our van does not issue a ticket unless the vehicle is 11mph or more over the posted limit.

After all the cost of running the van, officer salary, court time and the Judges and two court staff salaries are paid, and all other admin cost, the van makes about $500k a year. That is how many people drive at least 11mph over the limit. It isn't like people don't know we have it, as our "speed trap" has featured on all the local news stations.