Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Lawerance, Mass?

Lawerance, Mass?

Old Apr 27th 2005, 7:01 pm
Just Joined

JohnCT is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Lawerance, Mass?

Well it's Lawrence, North of Boston (NB, Boston = $$$ living costs) 30 miles or so, 19th century textile mill town built around the waterpower of the Merrimack River, rather historic from a waterpower engineering perpsective. Fast forward to 21st century....a dump as some have pointed out, a Spanish speaking dump with lots of criminals too....

The good part, very close ( a few miles) to Southern New Hampshire, cheap taxes there, Massachusetts taxes are on high side. Close to beautiful NH seacoast and Maine too. Maybe fly to Manchester airport, 30 miles away.

For housing prices check realtor.com in places like Amesbury, MA, Branford, NH. This is considered commuting distance to Boston so you will get some price shock perhaps.

Good luck,

John
Old Apr 27th 2005, 7:35 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JohnCT
For housing prices check realtor.com in places like Amesbury, MA, Branford, NH. This is considered commuting distance to Boston so you will get some price shock perhaps.
cheers for all the info
But price shocks on rent...I'm from Oxford, so the rent would have to be pretty extreme to shock me now *lol*
Old May 4th 2005, 6:36 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm...persistance...just saw the place advertise on gamasutra, so emailed the guy and said what the deal was as he'd emailed me first...got an interview on Monday

Just have to figure out how the **** i'm getting there...train or drive...hmmm...
Old May 4th 2005, 7:40 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by UKintheUSA
My interpretation of Lawrence is...........if you were to give the state of Massachusetts an enema, this is where they'd stick the probe!
Sorry! Check out Southern NH.............I work in Salem NH which is nearby so if you want some help or if I can send you some newspapers be of any help let me know! if you and the missus want to come here, we can show you around for a day if you'd like!
Debs
That'll be awesome, I'll give you guys a shout if I get the job...not got hopes to high just in case, but anyway, certainly be looking to not live in lawrence as it does appear to be the armpit of the state...but there's plenty of towns nearby that aren't bad, and it's right on the new hampshire border, so there's always that...though that could be fun come tax time *lol*
Old May 4th 2005, 8:15 pm
Gurning up a storm!

Location: Just moved back to NH from UK after the wife and I tried living in UK
Suffolk Bumpkin has a spectacular aura aboutSuffolk Bumpkin has a spectacular aura aboutSuffolk Bumpkin has a spectacular aura about

Dunno about Lawrence MAss. But we live just over the border in Milford NH. Its a very nice area. Nashua is fairly decent too.
If you come down this way - drop a line and maybe we can all meet up?

That includes Debs.....who I have been very lazy about getting in touch with recently..... sorry.....

Cheers,

Bumpkin