Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Law Suit Advice

Law Suit Advice

Old Jul 1st 2019, 11:51 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Law Suit Advice

My State Minimum is I think $25,000 so does not much and they will pay and say bye.
Old Jul 2nd 2019, 12:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute

This thread just reminded me to take out an Umbrella policy
Old Jul 2nd 2019, 12:51 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Olly_
This thread just reminded me to take out an Umbrella policy
I needed an umbrella policy yesterday, the wind turned mine inside out and broke the frame
Old Jul 2nd 2019, 2:18 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Is 300,000-500,000 considered good for US car insurance policies? Its been eons since I drove in the US but that seems kind of low considering the medical bills and other crap you can end up with in US from being in an accident.

We have 1 million liability currently. Basic minimum is $200,000 here in BC.

Originally Posted by ddsrph
If this is an auto accident and you have good insurance say 300,000-500,000 is not the insurance company going to fight hard to limit the amount they have to pay on your behalf? If they are willing to concede your liability and pay the max amount then your case doesn’t look good and a good lawyer is more important than ever.
Old Jul 2nd 2019, 2:22 am
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Is 300,000-500,000 considered good for US car insurance policies? Its been eons since I drove in the US but that seems kind of low considering the medical bills and other crap you can end up with in US from being in an accident.

We have 1 million liability currently. Basic minimum is $200,000 here in BC.
I have USAA and mine is about that much. To get more I had to take out a one million umbrella policy which I did.
Old Jul 2nd 2019, 2:25 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

I'm just wondering how many posts we can make out of this one.. the OP hasn't come back and I'm just dying to know what's going on!!
Old Jul 2nd 2019, 2:44 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ddsrph

I have USAA and mine is about that much. To get more I had to take out a one million umbrella policy which I did.

So is $1 million is all you can get with standard policy and then have to buy an umbrella policy?

We can choose up to $5 million under standard policy, we chose $1 million as we have no assets and its a good middle ground to keep the policy affordable yet provide protection, but we could go as high $5 million or as low as $200,000 with regular insurance policy.
Old Jul 2nd 2019, 4:01 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
I'm just wondering how many posts we can make out of this one.. the OP hasn't come back and I'm just dying to know what's going on!!
On past form, I think we can easily reach 100
Old Jul 2nd 2019, 8:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
Well, we know that the OP appears to be the defendant in a law suit so, unless an attorney can figure out a basis for filing a counter suit against the other party, there isn't going to be any "settlement" from which the OP's attorney could be paid on contingency.
Most cases never reach the trial stage and it absolutely isn't necessary to have a basis for a countersuit to reach a settlement The possibilities of a settlement depend on much more than whether there is a basis for a counter suit, key actors are time money and general past experience of how such cases are settled combined with the particular judge and jurisdiction. Having a basis for a countersuit can help in negotiations, even having no basis for a countersuit but filing one anyway can help- but it isnt necessary to get a settlement.

Litigation in America can be expensive and time consuming, thus in many cases it is simply a matter of comparing legal costs and time to litigate- modified by degree of probability- to a potential outcome and therefore considering settling. Being right or wrong often is immaterial to such a decision from either side whether to settle.

The first step is consult with an attorney who specializes in these sort of cases, who can then give an idea of probabilities and amounts that may be involved. Good chance an experienced lawyer can tell you upfront the options and costs which a high degree of probability.

Old Jul 2nd 2019, 11:13 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I am currently still embroiled in the lawsuit from a wreck I had in November 2016. Plaintiff wants $25k, insurance wants to pay $11k.

The amount they have spent on the lawyer at this point, plus wasted my time for 3 trips to the attorney for discovery responses and a deposition, they should have just paid them what they wanted to go away.
Old Jul 2nd 2019, 11:23 am
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
There's a very long way to go.. it hasn't even diverted from the subject yet
Old Jul 2nd 2019, 1:25 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
There's a very long way to go.. it hasn't even diverted from the subject yet
And it's still just total conjecture that this involves an auto accident!
Old Jul 2nd 2019, 2:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
So is $1 million is all you can get with standard policy and then have to buy an umbrella policy?

We can choose up to $5 million under standard policy, we chose $1 million as we have no assets and its a good middle ground to keep the policy affordable yet provide protection, but we could go as high $5 million or as low as $200,000 with regular insurance policy.
Maximum with most insurers seems to be $500,000 at least in NJ, certainly the ones I've had insurance with or had quotes from (NJM, Geico, Progressive, Farmers) won't offer any more than that on a regular policy. It might vary by state though.

I just took out a $1m umbrella policy so I now have that plus the $500k on my auto policy.
Old Jul 2nd 2019, 3:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Olly_
Maximum with most insurers seems to be $500,000 at least in NJ, certainly the ones I've had insurance with or had quotes from (NJM, Geico, Progressive, Farmers) won't offer any more than that on a regular policy. It might vary by state though.

I just took out a $1m umbrella policy so I now have that plus the $500k on my auto policy.
Very wise. I have $300k for auto and home (another important one, btw) liability and then my umbrella is for more than my total assets. Not foolproof, of course, but what else can you do?
Old Jul 2nd 2019, 3:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Very wise. I have $300k for auto and home (another important one, btw) liability and then my umbrella is for more than my total assets. Not foolproof, of course, but what else can you do?
Yes, I have $500k liability on my homeowners too

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.