Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Is it law to carry your Green Card ?

Is it law to carry your Green Card ?

Old Aug 29th 2011, 6:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it law to carry your Green Card ?

Originally Posted by Rete
I am asked for ID nearly 90% of the time that I use a credit card. Why? Because I will not sign my CC and placed the verbage "Ask for ID" on the line instead.

Easy to forge a signature, not easy to forge a photo, i.e. driver's license.
That's what I do. I rarely get asked though, especially now most places have a digital signature so the card never even leaves my possession.

One a cashier at Best Buy wanted to check my ID (it was back when I used to sign my card) and I didn't have it on me. She claimed that she would personally have to pay for stuff that was fraudulantly bought, which I knew was nonsense. Since I didn't have ID nor another way to pay for it I just left the store.
Old Aug 29th 2011, 6:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishman43
Incident going to AZ , I was in the back napping.
I believe it has to be willful misrepresentation, so no problem

I'd just be awfully careful how you tell that story in the future. Bloody unlikely I appreciate, but I wouldn't want to get into a debate with an immigration official about exactly how heavily asleep you were in the back of the car while pretending to be an American
Old Aug 29th 2011, 6:37 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Squirrel
Inceidentally, are tourists in the US legally obliged to carry their passports?
Yes.

Anyone who isn't on a GC or USC is supposed to.
Old Aug 29th 2011, 6:39 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
I am asked for ID nearly 90% of the time that I use a credit card. Why? Because I will not sign my CC and placed the verbage "Ask for ID" on the line instead.

Easy to forge a signature, not easy to forge a photo, i.e. driver's license.
If your card gets fraudulently used, you would have no protection though as you'd voided your T&C's of using the card.

So you're in worse off position than signing the card properly.
Old Aug 30th 2011, 3:14 am
Forum Regular

wildinvirginia is just really nicewildinvirginia is just really nicewildinvirginia is just really nicewildinvirginia is just really nicewildinvirginia is just really nicewildinvirginia is just really nicewildinvirginia is just really nicewildinvirginia is just really nicewildinvirginia is just really nice

I carry mine because I'm terrified of being stopped and asked for it as it does state very clearly that you must carry it at all times. yet they tell you not to carry your social security card for security purposes, go figure. I have no trouble carrying mine on principle, I am of the Al the Landlord feeling. however I do strongly object to the cost of replacing one. I'd prefer a system of carrying a photocopy whilst on normal in state business with the option to produce the original within so may days if required.

As for using it as back up ID for transactions - the ridiculous thing is my GC is in my married name but my bank cards are in my maiden name - both are perfectly legal but it's my own fault if it causes a problem at the checkout. Never once has producing ID in two different names caused a problem lol Once in Tennessee I encountered a register with a sign saying If you are not a US Citizen then you will be asked for ID if not paying cash. I went to produce mine and the woman actually said, "Oh no, we don't mean you dear - we mean foreigners." By which we know she meant non-white foreigners!

Much as I hate the idea of having to fork out $500 for a replacement, I think I'd still rather that than spend time in a jail cell waiting for my hubby to arrive with the original to spring me I just don't see why t should cost so much to replace a document you are forced to carry. Why not issue one main card and two tiny key fob cards like Kroger and my Library do? All the info is on a tiny chip anyways! I smell a money making opportunity here .....
Old Aug 30th 2011, 3:31 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by wildinvirginia
Much as I hate the idea of having to fork out $500 for a replacement, I think I'd still rather that than spend time in a jail cell waiting for my hubby to arrive with the original to spring me
But who legally will ask you to produce the Greencard? A police officer cannot ask you for it.
Old Aug 31st 2011, 3:56 am
Boston Sep 15th

starky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud of

I am Irish been here about 3 years now and I don't carry my GC. I always have my MA license on me. That said if I leave the state or go anywhere near the border of Canada I would bring it with me. Like wise if I lived in one of the crazy states (crazy due to the state immigration laws) bordering Mexico I might carry it a bit more. I have never been asked for it aside from entering the USA. I know its the law to carry it, but there you go! Its safely tucked inside my passport most of the time at home :-)
Old Aug 31st 2011, 12:48 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by starky
I am Irish been here about 3 years now and I don't carry my GC. I always have my MA license on me. That said if I leave the state or go anywhere near the border of Canada I would bring it with me. Like wise if I lived in one of the crazy states (crazy due to the state immigration laws) bordering Mexico I might carry it a bit more. I have never been asked for it aside from entering the USA. I know its the law to carry it, but there you go! Its safely tucked inside my passport most of the time at home :-)
If you're anywhere near the water front though, might be worth having it on you.

Up in Maine, when we lived in a bit of a water town, would have random spot checks, not looking for greencards as such, but ICE were looking for easy money by dinging Canadians who boated over for the weekend and might have guns on the boat.

Only time ever that I've been asked about my status. And that was a 4 hour journey to the Canadian border.
Old Sep 18th 2011, 5:10 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
But who legally will ask you to produce the Greencard? A police officer cannot ask you for it.
They can if they have 287(g) enforcement authority, many large law enforcement agencies in the US have that authority from ICE. http://www.ice.gov/news/library/factsheets/287g.htm

8 USC 1304(e) requires the holder of an alien registration receipt card (the official name of an LPR card) to have their card on them "at all times". There are no exceptions. Failure to do so is a federal misdemeanor, which basically means there is no chance whatsoever of being convicted if you don't have it on you (federal courts have better things to do), although you can be arrested for it obviously.
Old Sep 18th 2011, 5:47 pm
Forum Regular

wildinvirginia is just really nicewildinvirginia is just really nicewildinvirginia is just really nicewildinvirginia is just really nicewildinvirginia is just really nicewildinvirginia is just really nicewildinvirginia is just really nicewildinvirginia is just really nicewildinvirginia is just really nice

I flew back to the States from a flying visit home on Wednesday and the last thing the immigration officer said to me was, "Don't forget your Green card Ma'am .... you know you're required to carry it with you at all times right? You also need to be carrying this extension letter until your conditions are removed." From the horses mouth as they say. Thought of you guys as he said it

Just want to add my thanks to all who reassured me about re-entry by the way - I didn't stress about it one bit and you were all right ... surprise, surprise lol! Took EVERY conceivably relevant document with me and although the immigration team here asked only for green card and extension letter, the US Airways agents in the UK checking me in had every single piece of paper out twice for review! So if any little detail has changed (my issue was passport in one name, green card and daughter's passport in another due to marriage), carry everything - original and photocopy and then you can sit back and relax. Just don;t book with US Airways if you're traveling with a kid or a UK Debit card but that's a whole other whinge
Old Sep 18th 2011, 5:51 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Steve_
They can if they have 287(g) enforcement authority, many large law enforcement agencies in the US have that authority from ICE. http://www.ice.gov/news/library/factsheets/287g.htm

8 USC 1304(e) requires the holder of an alien registration receipt card (the official name of an LPR card) to have their card on them "at all times". There are no exceptions. Failure to do so is a federal misdemeanor, which basically means there is no chance whatsoever of being convicted if you don't have it on you (federal courts have better things to do), although you can be arrested for it obviously.
Officer Selection Requirements
Participating officers in the 287(g) program must meet the following requirements:
U.S. citizenship
Current background investigation completed
Minimum two years experience in current position
No disciplinary actions pending

Training Requirements
ICE offers a 4-week training program now held at the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center (FLETC) ICE Academy (ICEA) in Charleston, SC, conducted by certified instructors.
And that list of agencies participating, so you're pretty safe to assume they won't have that authority unless you're unfortunate to live in one of the very short list...and even then, most of those agencies are prisons, so you'd already be in the clink for something before hand and then they'd go to deport you afterwards.
Old Sep 18th 2011, 6:03 pm
Forum Regular

I think this is one of those situations where it's not what protection you have under the law, it's how much of a dick the official you come into contact with is! It may not be legal in most states for a law official to ask for your GC but then it's not legal to arrest you 'because you match the description of a known suspect' when the only description is being black or Hispanic, but it happens all the time too. just not worth the hassle to me ... especially as hubby is in law enforcement and he would not tolerate the "We're sorry ma'am" crappy response you'd get if you were unfairly treated, How well do you think an immigrant still with conditions attached would do in a complaints process? I hate how far I've come from being belligerent and prepared to face arrest in order to stand my ground but nothing like being married to one of them, a new Mum and living abroad under privilege to water down those stamp your feet moments
Old Sep 19th 2011, 12:12 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wildinvirginia
I think this is one of those situations where it's not what protection you have under the law, it's how much of a dick the official you come into contact with is! It may not be legal in most states for a law official to ask for your GC but then it's not legal to arrest you 'because you match the description of a known suspect' when the only description is being black or Hispanic, but it happens all the time too. just not worth the hassle to me ... especially as hubby is in law enforcement and he would not tolerate the "We're sorry ma'am" crappy response you'd get if you were unfairly treated, How well do you think an immigrant still with conditions attached would do in a complaints process? I hate how far I've come from being belligerent and prepared to face arrest in order to stand my ground but nothing like being married to one of them, a new Mum and living abroad under privilege to water down those stamp your feet moments
Joe Arpaio Loses Again: Maricopa County Settles for $200K in Mora Racial-Profiling Case
http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/bas...in_maricop.php
Old Sep 20th 2011, 6:25 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

The more relevant story is this one: http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/2009-...2-days-anyway/
Old Sep 20th 2011, 6:38 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
The more relevant story is this one: http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/2009-...2-days-anyway/
There's no shortage of stories with MCSO.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.