Laundry

Old Aug 21st 2012, 3:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Laundry

Originally Posted by holly2234
Also if it is just doing a rinse and spin cycle it covers the whole load in black gunge...
Sounds like mildew/mold, nothing that bleach couldn't solve.
Old Aug 21st 2012, 4:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Despite the multi-pronged approach, it still didn't come out smelling of that "freshly laundered scent"! Note that it doesn't smell of mildew, mould, or anything bad either. Just neutral. Wife complained that I didn't use the stain remover on the white socks so it's gone for another wash - secret tactic so she does it next time!

Just looked at the boiler and it was set on "B" - graduated for half the range, then A, B, C, and "Very hot". I've set it on "C" so we'll see how hot that gets.

Currently we have Arm&Hammer Oxiclean liquid, Bold powder, and Tide tumble dryer sheets. Can't remember what we've had in the past but it's been a variety. Come to think of it, in relative terms it's a lot less powder than we used to use in the UK.

Thanks again!
Old Aug 21st 2012, 4:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM
Despite the multi-pronged approach, it still didn't come out smelling of that "freshly laundered scent"! Note that it doesn't smell of mildew, mould, or anything bad either. Just neutral. Wife complained that I didn't use the stain remover on the white socks so it's gone for another wash - secret tactic so she does it next time!

Just looked at the boiler and it was set on "B" - graduated for half the range, then A, B, C, and "Very hot". I've set it on "C" so we'll see how hot that gets.

Currently we have Arm&Hammer Oxiclean liquid, Bold powder, and Tide tumble dryer sheets. Can't remember what we've had in the past but it's been a variety. Come to think of it, in relative terms it's a lot less powder than we used to use in the UK.

Thanks again!
Try Gain!!! They (as well as Purex) also have scent booster beads although I have never had a problem in just using the detergent.
Old Aug 21st 2012, 5:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM
Come to think of it, in relative terms it's a lot less powder than we used to use in the UK.
I found in the UK that I could always use less detergent than the manufacturer's recommend, and still get a good wash. Over here I find I need to use more than the recommended amount. Perhaps it's a dilution effect due to top-loaders using lots more water than front loaders?

Once I stopped being stingy with Tide, I found that more stains actually came out of my clothes. I also lift the lid on the machine after about the first minute of agitation, and let the clothes soak for 5-10 minutes, before then continuing the wash. That seems to help too.

Not had the smelly experience though, so run out of suggestions on that one, sorry.
Old Aug 21st 2012, 5:45 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yellowroom
I found in the UK that I could always use less detergent than the manufacturer's recommend, and still get a good wash. Over here I find I need to use more than the recommended amount. Perhaps it's a dilution effect due to top-loaders using lots more water than front loaders?

Once I stopped being stingy with Tide, I found that more stains actually came out of my clothes. I also lift the lid on the machine after about the first minute of agitation, and let the clothes soak for 5-10 minutes, before then continuing the wash. That seems to help too.

Not had the smelly experience though, so run out of suggestions on that one, sorry.
If I use a top loader I usually run it through the wash cycle 3 or 4 times before rinsing.
Old Aug 21st 2012, 6:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
If I use a top loader I usually run it through the wash cycle 3 or 4 times before rinsing.
To do that on my machine I'd have to stand over it to catch it before it went into rinse and move the dial back round to wash. I'm too lazy and not that desperate enough yet.

Good tip for future reference though, thanks!
Old Aug 21st 2012, 7:11 pm
Forum Regular

holly2234 is just really niceholly2234 is just really niceholly2234 is just really niceholly2234 is just really niceholly2234 is just really niceholly2234 is just really niceholly2234 is just really niceholly2234 is just really niceholly2234 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
Sounds like mildew/mold, nothing that bleach couldn't solve.
Yeah more than likely. Thankfully mine is ok!
Old Aug 21st 2012, 8:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Water temperature too hot to touch now, so hopefully that'll help. Run out of dirty laundry though!
Old Aug 21st 2012, 8:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

The problem with top loaders is that they are always dancing in the moonlight.

I'll get my coat.
Old Aug 21st 2012, 8:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yellowroom

This is dependent on the water in your area and not really a UK/USA thing. The softer the water, the less detergent needed.

Originally Posted by Anian
The problem with top loaders is that they are always dancing in the moonlight.

I'll get my coat.
Ours doesn't move! It's really well balanced and you can hardly tell when it goes into the spin cycle!
Old Aug 21st 2012, 8:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Guindalf
This is dependent on the water in your area and not really a UK/USA thing. The softer the water, the less detergent needed.
In general yes. However, I've moved from a very hard water area in the UK to a very soft water area in the USA! My generalisation stands - in the UK I could use about 2/3 of the amount recommended on the packet to get a good wash, here in the USA I need to use 50% more than recommended to get a good wash.
Old Aug 21st 2012, 9:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Guindalf
Ours doesn't move! It's really well balanced and you can hardly tell when it goes into the spin cycle!
Not really about the machine though, more about the contents. Ours is balanced but if don't even the stuff out then there's only so much damping the machine itself can do before it starts dancing.
Old Aug 24th 2012, 6:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Double dose and hotter water: slightly more "laundry" smell than neutral. I think it must be down to the soap now. When we run out I'll try the ones mentioned earlier.
Old Aug 24th 2012, 7:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Moonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
My mom always puts a Bounce sheet (a couple of used ones will do) in with her towels. If you put a new one in the linen cupboard then everything smells like Bounce. A couple of used ones between the towels keeps the smell but isn't overpowering.
DH likes to put Bounce under the seats in the car, particularly when the weather gets colder and the car stays shut (ie. no open windows) for longer periods of time.
Old Aug 24th 2012, 7:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Moonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
Try Gain!!! They (as well as Purex) also have scent booster beads although I have never had a problem in just using the detergent.
I use both!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.