British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Latino Effects on US? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/latino-effects-us-385765/)

Tolos Jul 19th 2006 4:42 pm

Latino Effects on US?

Living here in Texas, I encounter many people of latin origin and have been interested to read about their growing presence in the US. It is predicted that in as little as 6 years, Texas' population could be 2/3 hispanic..and that will serve as a micro-study of what will occur across the rest of the US.

I know we have some armchair-economists and sociologists here (I find many of your readings fascinating) and would be interested to hear your views. I'm sure I'm opening the doors for tons of predictable jokes about lawn mowers and waiters, but perhaps some other insight would be welcome.

Some serious effects I've been reading about are that latinos will dominant the working classes, eventually seizing control of various blue collar industries such as construction and public services. We can see the effects already on language, food and culture. Does anyone think that in 50yrs we may be seeing the demise of the "baseball, hotdogs and blue skies" white American Dream and more of an urban, latin-spiked environment? As the baby boomers and rich old folk being to die...it's gonna be interesting.

Hiro11 Jul 19th 2006 5:41 pm

Re: Latino Effects on US?

Originally Posted by Tolos
Some serious effects I've been reading about are that latinos will dominant the working classes, eventually seizing control of various blue collar industries such as construction and public services. We can see the effects already on language, food and culture. Does anyone think that in 50yrs we may be seeing the demise of the "baseball, hotdogs and blue skies" white American Dream and more of an urban, latin-spiked environment? As the baby boomers and rich old folk being to die...it's gonna be interesting.

Sounds good to me.

Manc Jul 19th 2006 5:44 pm

an influx of young workers to pay for medicare and social security or a lot of old hungry sick people.

seems a no brainer to me.

Tolos Jul 19th 2006 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by Manc
an influx of young workers to pay for medicare and social security or a lot of old hungry sick people.

seems a no brainer to me.

Concise.

Celsius Jul 19th 2006 5:51 pm

Living here in Texas, I encounter many people of latin origin and have been interested to read about their growing presence in the US. It is predicted that in as little as 6 years, Texas' population could be 2/3 hispanic..and that will serve as a micro-study of what will occur across the rest of the US.

I know we have some armchair-economists and sociologists here (I find many of your readings fascinating) and would be interested to hear your views. I'm sure I'm opening the doors for tons of predictable jokes about lawn mowers and waiters, but perhaps some other insight would be welcome.

More Latino comedians on TV.

anotherlimey Jul 19th 2006 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by Celsius
More Latino comedians on TV.

More members for supertangas.com?

If you take a tour of Miami, the guide will tell you three things saved Miami from being a *complete* s**thole:

1) A woman who was devoted to Art Deco (her name escapes me)
2) Miami Vice ( :o )
3) Cuban immigrants