Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Last will and testament

Last will and testament

Old Aug 21st 2007, 5:37 am
Just Joined

Superduper is a name known to allSuperduper is a name known to allSuperduper is a name known to allSuperduper is a name known to allSuperduper is a name known to allSuperduper is a name known to allSuperduper is a name known to allSuperduper is a name known to allSuperduper is a name known to allSuperduper is a name known to allSuperduper is a name known to all
Default Last will and testament

Hi! A bit of a grim topic, but something that's quite important at any age.

Its very possible that my wife and I will be moving to the states (O1 approved on friday, whoop whoop!) and I was wondering how wills work with regards to assets split across different nations. Would I have a UK will for the UK stuff and a US one for the US stuff? Would a will set in one country be legal for all countries?

Thanks!
Old Aug 21st 2007, 7:27 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Last will and testament

Originally Posted by Superduper

Its very possible that my wife and I will be moving to the states (O1 approved on friday, whoop whoop!) and I was wondering how wills work with regards to assets split across different nations. Would I have a UK will for the UK stuff and a US one for the US stuff? Would a will set in one country be legal for all countries?

Thanks!
I was advised to write a US will as a UK will won't be valid in the US. I don't think you need to necessarily have a US will for US assets and a UK will for UK assets. Probably the most logical thing to do would be to have two exact same versions of your will, one legal in the US and one legal in the UK. (It may be that if you have a lot of legally complicated clauses they may not be applicable in both countries, however).

I'd take your UK will to a US attorney when you get there and ask if you can simply replicate it to be legal in the US.
Old Aug 21st 2007, 12:26 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Have one will valid for your US assets in the appropiate method of your State ..they vary

and one for your UK assets
Old Aug 21st 2007, 3:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

I doubt a UK will would be of any help in the US. You'll need a US will, and powers of attorney would be a good idea as well. As Ray says, estate laws vary from state to state, so consult an estate-planning lawyer when you are settled in the US. You might have trouble with an executor if you have no family or friends in the US. When Mrs Bill and I went through this exercise a few years ago, our lawyer strongly recommended the executor live in the same state (Ohio)... he said a foreign executor (my family is in Canada) would be a very bad idea. I don't recall asking him what we would do if there had been no choice in the matter.
Old Aug 21st 2007, 4:41 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

As mentioned, state specific will for where in the US, and one for the UK....and then don't die because unless your a USC, you'll be raped and pillaged on inheritance allowance.
Old Aug 21st 2007, 4:46 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Superduper

Thanks!
we have two Wills - USA and UK however you must make sure they do not conflict with each other.
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 9:43 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
we have two Wills - USA and UK however you must make sure they do not conflict with each other.
You cannot have two wills any new will invalidates any previous wills, the clue is in the LAST will and testament. You should make a will and ad that you have assetts in another country that you wish to be distributed as per your wishes and that this distribution should be goverened by the laws of the land it is distributed in.
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 9:46 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thydney
You cannot have two wills any new will invalidates any previous wills, the clue is in the LAST will and testament. You should make a will and ad that you have assetts in another country that you wish to be distributed as per your wishes and that this distribution should be goverened by the laws of the land it is distributed in.
A very good point ....seems a good few lawyers disagree though
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 10:41 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

exactly, and that's how ours stands. you are correct in saying the Last Will and Testament. both our Wills read as one incorporating our worldwide assetts.
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 10:53 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
A very good point ....seems a good few lawyers disagree though
American Lawyers? The thing is it's sensible to do that but the law isn't sensible and, as with most things it works until someone throws a spanner in the works and challenges it then they drag the 19th Century law books out.
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 2:09 am
Ray

American Lawyers? The thing is it's sensible to do that but the law isn't sensible and, as with most things it works until someone throws a spanner in the works and challenges it then they drag the 19th Century law books out.
Thats very true ..it was two UK solictors actually ...
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 10:48 pm
Not dead yet

Originally Posted by Ray
Thats very true ..it was two UK solictors actually ...
Now thats worrying