Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Last visit to the U.k?

Last visit to the U.k?

Old Oct 27th 2005, 2:03 am
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Last visit to the U.k?

okay , I know I'm only going to depress myself..but how long have you lived in the U.S and when was the last time you went back to the U.K? It's been an age for me...do you all hop on a plane frequently or have some of you been away for years? are you fulfilled with the visit but eager to return or do you yearn to move back for good?

Can you easily afford to visit or is going back for a visit so important to you that you'll save up and do without just to get there?

just curious
Old Oct 27th 2005, 2:11 am
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Last visit to the U.k?

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
okay , I know I'm only going to depress myself..but how long have you lived in the U.S and when was the last time you went back to the U.K? It's been an age for me...do you all hop on a plane frequently or have some of you been away for years? are you fulfilled with the visit but eager to return or do you yearn to move back for good?

Can you easily afford to visit or is going back for a visit so important to you that you'll save up and do without just to get there?

just curious
Go off season and it really isn't all that expensive. If it was, I'd save up for it - my family are important to me.

I'm going back for a fortnight on Nov 9th - YAY!!! First visit since I came here (April) and probably the last for a while - I don't fancy an 11 hour flight with a small baby
Old Oct 27th 2005, 2:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Time in US=2 years 3 months
Times home=0

Going for a quick trip home in april I think.
Old Oct 27th 2005, 3:20 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Lived in the US for 8 years.

Try to get back every two to three years. Last trip back was summer 2004. It's getting really expensive to fly back as we have to fit trips around son's school holidays because in our school system if a student has more than 10 unexcused days off school they have to do the school year all over again!

We get loads of visitors - In the last 12 months we've had 4 lots of family visiting, although we will only pick them up from the airport if they are laden with british goodies!
Old Oct 27th 2005, 5:02 am
Just me!

antjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond repute

just curious
well, i only moved over to america 360 days ago - but im going back over xmas, im thinking of going back about once a year - just to catch up with friends and family and stock up on uk food and other goodies

Anthony
Old Oct 27th 2005, 5:18 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pimpbot
Time in US=2 years 3 months
Times home=0

Going for a quick trip home in april I think.
Much the same here. 2 years & 5 months, no trips home.

...although it helps that my parents often fly over for a long weekend! Arriving Thursday night and flying out Sunday night really is beyond the call of duty, but we really appreciate it!

Still, we'll be going back for Xmas this year, and again in May, so that will start to make up for all the time we've been here in TX.
Old Oct 27th 2005, 5:21 am
looking for the corkscrew

bored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond repute

Going back in 2 weeks for 3 weeks - yay!
Mr BS is in a conference for the first 8 days so I get to drink and smoke with the girlies whilst my mum looks after the babes
Old Oct 27th 2005, 6:05 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

12 years. 3 years. It's been a while. Of my last six trips across the Atlantic, I have set foot in the UK three times.
Old Oct 27th 2005, 6:14 am
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

just curious

It varies, at one time I did not go back for 6 years, could not get a break from work. The last 7 years I was back every year, mostly on business, but I would also take the weekends to visit my family when I could on some of these trips.
Just went back there in May for 3 weeks......... but that was due to the fact that I had free time, as I lost my job - I just can't seem to win.

Last edited by Lord Lionheart; Oct 27th 2005 at 6:28 am.
Old Oct 27th 2005, 6:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

Went back this month not that much has changed.

just curious
Old Oct 27th 2005, 8:38 am
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

I went back a month ago and the best thing was spending time with my Mum and Dad and eating all the foods I really missed. The worst thing was the traffic and the amount of people. I miss home but when I'm there after a few days I'm ready to come back to the US. I've been here 2 years now and I think that I'll be staying for good. I feel very happy and I don't miss the constant noise and bustle of London. I miss the food desperately though. I go back on average about once every 6 months but it's so expensive now, as we stay in a hotel and rent a car. The flight, hotel, car, kennel for the dog and food expenses comes to about $2000.

London feels so grimy and dirty to me now, although I like the fact that it's so cool. I feel like an alien there now and I could not envisage living there again. I like the space and standard of living I have here in Connecticut.
Old Oct 27th 2005, 11:06 am
Forum Regular

yorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to behold

We have been here for 10 months now and plan to go back for a visit next summer (has to be whilst kids are out of school) It will be expensive from Hawaii to the UK with 2 adults, 2 kids, and have to pay for hotels and care hire whilst there, so we are saving up!
Old Oct 27th 2005, 11:48 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

I will have been here three years next week. Have been back once, for christmas 2003. Planning another trip in July next year. Would go more often if I had a decent vacation allowance.
Old Oct 27th 2005, 12:08 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Moved over here Jan 2002.
First trip back Dec 2003 for family xmas....very good.
Next trip back Feb 2004 for dad's funeral.... very sad.
Third trip back Nov 2004 as mum was teminally ill..... very sad.
Last trip back Jan 2005 for mum's funeral.... very very sad.

Hoping to go back next summer for a proper holiday, tour some of the places we never went to when we lived there. Will be nice to go back and see some leaves on the trees this time too.
Old Oct 27th 2005, 12:14 pm

syllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond repute

Last time I went back was over three years ago, and only because of business. My family all say they want to come over and visit, but do they? Do they balls. But they expect me to spend my precious vacation time in Scunthorpe...yeah right, like that's ever going to happen. And to cap it all off, whenever I did go back (on business), I'd travel over 5500 miles, drive for a few hours, and then when I got there, my brothers couldn't even be arsed to drive a few miles across town to see me...they expected me to go them. Twunts.

I love my family really.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.