Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Last post, probably

Last post, probably

Old Dec 30th 2004, 5:43 am
Just Joined

Thuban is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Last post, probably

Well, I started reading this board a few days ago to get a perspective on what Brits think of the US. I used to work in an English Language school with many foreign students and heard all sorts of perspectives on the US, but since GB and the US share so much culture and, of course, the language, I was curious to see what you thought.

Having worked where I did, I know there are several stages to adjusting to living in a foreign country. The last stage, which some people never reach, is regarding the country as a second home. The third stage is deep homesickness and frustration, but that usually passes in time. I get the impression many of you have been over here about a year or more.

In addition, I do have to say many of you Brits are very fair minded and I can tell are the sort to weigh your ideas before you speak. This post is not addressed at you.

All things considered, though, I'm getting tired of reading this board. It's like unintentionally listening in on ugly gossip.

Many of you stereotype the US and its citizens to the point of "we can do no right". You manage to find something bad to say about everything in this country. Constructive criticism is one thing, jumping on the "let's jeer at the US" bandwagon every single time is another.

I've heard so many comments implying most people in the US are stupid, lazy, fat, stingy, so on and so forth. Bizzare, considering all the accomplishments of our country in only 230 years. I guess I don't need to list those accomplishments, since you are so well educated.

I was really interested in traveling to the UK, but not now. If I go, I can see I'll encounter some sheep in people's clothing who take things for granted about my character because of their own prejudice about my nationality.

One last thing....you stereotypers.... why be in the states at all if you think so little of us? I have a hard time understanding you since I was eager to go to the UK and experience all the great things I'd heard, read, and seen about your country.
Old Dec 30th 2004, 6:13 am
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice
Default Re: Last post, probably

Originally Posted by Thuban
...I was really interested in traveling to the UK, but not now...
If you were to judge the US by its citizens' internet postings...well, who knows what you would conclude.

I've looked at your other posts. It boils down to this: you are offended that there are people living in the US who don't like it. And, as guests, you think they should be more grateful.

I would agree with you if these people were protesting in Times Square, but this web site serves a specific expatriate community. And expatriate communities -- including US ones -- bitch and whine about their host countries. They always have, and they always will.

If you are looking for a US cheerleading group, you won't find it here. I would encourage you to keep posting. Your last post about the Tsunami payout was a bit out there: evidently you know more about the US' ultimate financial response to the disaster than the President does. But different views are what make the forum interesting.
Old Dec 30th 2004, 6:34 am
Forum Regular

lifeisgreat has a brilliant futurelifeisgreat has a brilliant futurelifeisgreat has a brilliant futurelifeisgreat has a brilliant futurelifeisgreat has a brilliant futurelifeisgreat has a brilliant futurelifeisgreat has a brilliant futurelifeisgreat has a brilliant future

I agree with Calgary in that it's not wise to base such a decision on a website--Experiencing the UK could be a life changing experience for you. I too have studied the stages of culture shock. It is adjusting to a new country, and all expats are lucky to have sites like these to share experiences on. So much knowledge can be gained and a sense of belonging when it seems like it's the last thing that can be accomplished in the new country you are in.

I am an American living in the UK. I have done so for 2 years. I wouldn't trade my experience here for anything. I have learned so much about the world around me, and I also learned as much about myself. Like many others, I found it difficult to adjust when I moved here, and still find some things difficult now. Luckily, like the British expats here, I have Americans to vent to on the American Expat sites in the UK. Believe me, we do our fair share of bitching on our sites as well, and it's not pretty either. In short, I feel it would be ridiculous to base such a decision on an expat website where the purpose of the site is to offer support to EXPATS going through stages of culture shock and living in a new country.
Old Dec 30th 2004, 7:42 am
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I started reading this board a few days ago to get a perspective on what Brits think of the US. I used to work in an English Language school with many foreign students and heard all sorts of perspectives on the US, but since GB and the US share so much culture and, of course, the language, I was curious to see what you thought.

Having worked where I did, I know there are several stages to adjusting to living in a foreign country. The last stage, which some people never reach, is regarding the country as a second home. The third stage is deep homesickness and frustration, but that usually passes in time. I get the impression many of you have been over here about a year or more.

In addition, I do have to say many of you Brits are very fair minded and I can tell are the sort to weigh your ideas before you speak. This post is not addressed at you.

All things considered, though, I'm getting tired of reading this board. It's like unintentionally listening in on ugly gossip.

Many of you stereotype the US and its citizens to the point of "we can do no right". You manage to find something bad to say about everything in this country. Constructive criticism is one thing, jumping on the "let's jeer at the US" bandwagon every single time is another.

I've heard so many comments implying most people in the US are stupid, lazy, fat, stingy, so on and so forth. Bizzare, considering all the accomplishments of our country in only 230 years. I guess I don't need to list those accomplishments, since you are so well educated.

I was really interested in traveling to the UK, but not now. If I go, I can see I'll encounter some sheep in people's clothing who take things for granted about my character because of their own prejudice about my nationality.

One last thing....you stereotypers.... why be in the states at all if you think so little of us? I have a hard time understanding you since I was eager to go to the UK and experience all the great things I'd heard, read, and seen about your country.

Hi Thuban
Its a such a shame that you have decided to completely snub an entire country because of an internet message board, which, as you know, isn't a true representation of a country and its people. I'm sorry that you feel offended by the posts on here but I don't think this board is the place to come for thoughts of what British people think of America and its people.
As you say in your post, one of the stages of emigrating is ;

"The third stage is deep homesickness and frustration, but that usually passes in time. "

Not speaking for everybody but I would say that this is the stage a lot of us who frequent this board are in. Yes, it does pass in time but so does any kind of grief the fact that its temporary doesn't make it any less valid or easier to deal with. The message board ,among other things, is a place for venting and having an outlet for the sense of being an 'alien' (which is how I am constantly referred to in all my emigration paperwork - I would prefer 'human') and the isolation that can come with emigration. The great thing about this board is to come and touch base with people who are in the same boat as you. No-one at work or in my in-law family knows what its like to grow up as a working class girl in a terraced house in the north of England, here people can. Its nice for me to have a place to come where people can relate to me exactly, especially when no-one physically around me can.

Most of us on here, including myself, are married to Americans, and have chosen to come here, so , the situation we find ourselves in is of our making and our responsibility - if someone started a thread about all the things we love about living here - the thread would be as full as any of the others that are about the annoyances of living in the USA. I do think that there is a need perhaps, for a sense of balance between all the america bashing, that it could do with being tempered with all the positives of living here, but when you turn away from the computer is when you get that balance, but I agree that this board is perhaps in need of it.

Emigrating is so unique an experience that I don't think any other experience can compare. The heart-wrenching descision to leave family, friends, job, home to start a new life in another country is something that I think, unless you directly experience yourself you cannot accurately communicate. The pain of being away from everything you grew up with can be an ache that never fully goes away, when your identity is based on something nobody around you in your everyday life can understand its hard to find your place and identity again in a new country, which, as you said is very similar to the UK, it is, however very, very different also and here is where those differences are acknowledged.

I personally, am married to a man, who, because he is American, I feel, has qualities that a British man doesn't posess and I love the qualities he has. I moved here to be with him and to live in this country which, although takes a lot of getting used to is a pretty amazing place. However, my husband,when he comes on this board usually ends up feeling like you, so pissed off and exasperated that he has to come off but as I explained to him this site isn't really for him and nor is it a particularly true reflection of how we feel about living here. Its like a boss overhearing two workers have a conversation about the crappy parts of their job, its just an outlet, a vent, but not meant for your bosses ears and doesn't give a complete picture. This site isn't really geared for Americans, its for British Expats and reflects what we share in common - we are together alone in this big country and moaning and grumbling makes us feel a little less alone and maybe gets us through that stage you talked about a little quicker.
I think having expericened America for a while now I've realised that laughing at yourself, your culture and poking fun at your country doesn't go down that well with Americans. In Europe putting our little idiosyncrasies down and poking fun at all the ridiculous things that make up our national identity is what a large part of our humour is based on. If you've ever seen the Brit comics Billy Connelly or Victoria Wood you'd see that most of their act is observations made up of how ridiculous Brits are and the things we do everyday that are absurd. I think we carry this on , on here. Like I said its an outlet for us and shouldn't really be taken that seriously. I'm not saying its okay I'm just trying to get you to understand why.

Also you have to take into account the times. American isn't winning any popularity contests at the moment with Bush in for another 4 years and seemingly no end to the Iraq war and the subsequent everyday killing of British and American troops isn't winning any fans.
Don't be too hard on us we're all in our own way going through the process of adjusting to a new wonderful life in this country whilst dealing with the pain of not being in our country of birth. I understand why this site has made you so angry, like I said, its made my husband feel the same, but do not, please dismiss Britain and the British based on the grumblings of some expats on the internet. Britain is a lovely place with a very different culture and people to America and it would be a crying shame for you to not go and experience it because of how you feel about what you've read on here.
Old Dec 30th 2004, 12:17 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=SarahUK]I think having expericened America for a while now I've realised that laughing at yourself, your culture and poking fun at your country doesn't go down that well with Americans.QUOTE]Totally agree with that. Euries, especially Brits have a really self deprecating humour which is lost of most Americans. It's got me into more than a few scrapes since I've been living here.
Old Dec 30th 2004, 12:35 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

I would say that a few days and a grand total of 6 contributions is hardly enough to understand what's going on anywhere. But maybe that's just me. I'm sure we'll struggle on.
Old Dec 30th 2004, 12:40 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Bye then.
Old Dec 30th 2004, 12:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

britchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud of

I also agree with Calgary.

I am also wondering what the point of your post is. If you don't want to read or post then don't.

Sounds like you want us to beg you to stay!
Fishing.
Old Dec 30th 2004, 12:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
Bye then.
Economy of words, love it.
Old Dec 30th 2004, 1:12 pm
Vegas Baby

vegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond repute

The narrower the mind, the broader the statement
Old Dec 30th 2004, 1:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute

You are entitled to your opinion of course but you seem to be lacking in understanding other peoples cultures. They do exist outside of the USA you know. I would suggest have not got thick skin and therefore quite sensitive about a lot of things. If you are still thinking of going to the UK then toughen up as the mickey is taken quite a lot. You do have a wonderful country which unfortunately a lot of Americans do not appreciate just how wonderful.
By the way the USA does not have the monoply on fat, lazy, bizarre people we have them as well. When we talk about fat people it is because we have never seen so many. If you have not been outside your country then you are in no way able to judge that comment. The UK has fat people as well but nothing like as many although it is increasing.
Two things you should remember about your country, 1) You achieved your independence with the aid of your wonderful allies at the time, the French. How often is that mentioned when talk of independence is made?
2) In days of yore when English transported criminals/felons about 50,000 were sent to the US colonies the point was they had to be bad spellers to qualify.
Lighten up and let a bit of sunshine into your life.

have one on me
Old Dec 30th 2004, 2:11 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

This is especially for you, Thuban.

I'm So Bored With the U.S.A.

Yankee soldier
He wanna shoot some skag
He met it in Cambodia
But now he can't afford a bag

Yankee dollar talk
To the dictators of the world
In fact it's giving orders
An' they can't afford to miss a word

I'm so bored with the U...S...A...
But what can I do?

Yankee detectives
Are always on the TV
'Cos killers in America
Work seven days a week

Never mind the stars and stripes
Let's print the Watergate Tapes
I'll salute the New Wave
And I hope nobody escapes

I'm so bored with the U...S...A...
But what can I do?

Move up Starsky
For the C.I.A.
Suck on Kojak
For the USA
Old Dec 30th 2004, 2:18 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't stick around long did ya?

The biggest problem I forsee is very much the same, as with all narrow minded americans that really have no sense of humor.

We Brits all have 10 things we love about the U.S and 10 things we dislike! so judging us on a few threads and posts is a tad unfair my old cocker. We slam as much about Blighty as we do the U.S, its in our blood....you see we take everything with a pinch of salt and most of the time we are laughing at ourselves!

Its called "taking the piss" and we Brits are experts at it

Happy New Year anyways!
Old Dec 30th 2004, 4:32 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Troll?
Old Dec 30th 2004, 5:21 pm
Brit'n'TX

Originally Posted by Bob
Troll?
git?..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.