Last Night

Old Jul 23rd 2015, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

phodg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Last Night

Went to a football match (Blackburn Rovers at home to somebody - can't remember who) with my mates and then we got drunk in the pub. As we used to pretty much every night back then anyway. No special celebration.
The funniest part of the night was when one of my friends put the Proclaimers' "Letter From America" on the jukebox. That gave us all a laugh.
Old Jul 23rd 2015, 9:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

fozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond repute

We spent the last day getting stuff packed, we were way too disorganised and had left far to much for the last day. Removal men packing most stuff into container but we also had various bits that we were giving away to people but hadn't got around to - which all started getting mixed up.

Three trips to the tip to get rid of tat that we didn't want to take and couldn't give away. Take car round to dealer we had arranged to sell it. Get paid in cash. Take cash to bank and get changed to US$. Pick up rental car. Collect son from my parants. Back to the house where the removal men are just finishing packing. Watch container disappear down the road. Lock up house for the last time. Take house keys to estate agent - catch them just before they shut for the night. Head off towards London. Hit rush hour traffic jam on M6. Somewhere around Birmingham it starts snowing. Traffic slows to a crawl. Sausages for dinner at Cawley service station. Finally get to hotel at Heathrow by about 11PM. Too stressed to sleep. Need to get up at 5AM next morning to drop a box of stuff off at a friend in Uxbridge. Drop hire car off at avis, and take bus to terminal. Want to sleep on plane but my son is too excited.
Old Jul 23rd 2015, 9:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daccs
So I'm moving to Georgia in August with my family and we were wondering what to do on the last night. We would have said most of our goodbyes before then and don't want to get stuck spending time with close family with lots of awkward silences before the inevitable tears on leaving day.

What has everyone else done on the last night(s) before moving?

Thanks
Dave
Be prepared for the heat Dave, the forecast is for 90F+/32C + for the next week humidity is high too which makes it feel like close to 100F+/40C
Old Jul 23rd 2015, 9:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

BubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond repute

The night before I moved to Atlanta me and my housemate drunk 2 bottles of champagne and watched the treacle people on dvd
Old Jul 26th 2015, 8:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

I spent my last week in the UK looking after 3 children under the age of 6, emptying and selling my house, selling my car, shipping everything, packing 8 suitcases for the 4 of us, etc. I also had a birthday party for 2 of the 3 children.

On my very last day I lost then an hour later found my purse.

The night before we flew out I collapsed in bed at my parents' house (they were away). At 4am I woke up to see sheep all over their lawn. I knew I should go out and get the farmer to drag them all back to their field before they destroyed the garden but I was just too tired and stressed. I went back to sleep and woke up a couple of hours later to see a completely non-destroyed garden and no sheep, so I assume it was just a very vivid dream.

I arrived at Manchester Airport to find it in complete chaos because the baggage system had failed. There was only one check-in desk open for all flights, and when I finally got to it they told me I'd have to get the 3 children, 8 suitcases, 3 carry-on bags, 1 stroller etc to the plane myself.

It was memorable.
Old Jul 26th 2015, 9:10 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

We told everyone we were leaving on X and left a few days later, quietly. The shippers had gone and we started living out of suitcases a few days earlier, eating out at restaurants, paper plates. It was less stressful.

That said, I was shocked how many people 'demanded' to meet up on our X day (last day). I know you are about to embark on a 6,000 mile journey to the other side of the earth, but you need to meet me 4 hours before you flight or else...." Was pretty annoying actually.
Old Jul 26th 2015, 10:42 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Before both moves.... booked into a nice hotel since all our stuff had gone and had a lovely meal with close friends.
Old Jul 26th 2015, 11:38 pm
BE Practitioner (Level 2)

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
That said, I was shocked how many people 'demanded' to meet up on our X day (last day). I know you are about to embark on a 6,000 mile journey to the other side of the earth, but you need to meet me 4 hours before you flight or else...." Was pretty annoying actually.
I ended up not scheduling those meetings which caused a lot of upset and grief, which we are still smoothing over.

We gave people loads of notice, but in the end everyone expected me to make arrangements to physically meet... and I was busy selling a house, finishing my job and moving to the other side of the world.
Old Jul 27th 2015, 11:32 am
Forum Regular

andrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond repute

I don't move until October 5th, but the day before I leave consists of me and my closest friends taking my dog to Heathrow ready for his flight, then having lunch on the way home, then spending the night with my mum and her boyfriend. The day I leave I want to leave the house at 6am to get to Gatwick nice and early. It's going to be an emotional couple of days that's for sure.
Old Jul 28th 2015, 4:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

NatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond repute

Went for curry with my brother and sister (good move since it's basically non-existent here), came back and slept in an empty house with nothing but an air mattress and my suitcases left, as all our furniture had already been shipped. It definitely felt like a bit of an anticlimax!
Old Jul 28th 2015, 5:44 pm
Forum Regular

daccs has a reputation beyond reputedaccs has a reputation beyond reputedaccs has a reputation beyond reputedaccs has a reputation beyond reputedaccs has a reputation beyond reputedaccs has a reputation beyond reputedaccs has a reputation beyond reputedaccs has a reputation beyond reputedaccs has a reputation beyond reputedaccs has a reputation beyond reputedaccs has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all its great to hear what people do. I've got some close family coming to the airport (not looking forward to that), am thinking of just spending the last night with my own family to keep the stress levels low!
Old Jul 28th 2015, 5:47 pm
Forum Regular

andrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all its great to hear what people do. I've got some close family coming to the airport (not looking forward to that), am thinking of just spending the last night with my own family to keep the stress levels low!
Definately, say goodbye to friends the weekend before. If they don't understand then they aren't really great friends anyway.
Old Jul 28th 2015, 7:03 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

What has everyone else done on the last night(s) before moving?
Sleep. Seriously.
Old Jul 28th 2015, 7:09 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
Sleep. Seriously.
That's the one thing I didn't do

It was deliberate, I didn't want to risk oversleeping so I just sat up and packed, had a bath and generally sat on my arse waiting for it to be time to leave.
Old Jul 30th 2015, 10:56 pm
Just Joined

DesertDubliner Reloaded is an unknown quantity at this point

We moved 4 times last 8 years so it's routine. No tears, just "FFS not again......."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.