British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Last Night (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/last-night-862270/)

daccs Jul 23rd 2015 3:15 pm

Last Night

So I'm moving to Georgia in August with my family and we were wondering what to do on the last night. We would have said most of our goodbyes before then and don't want to get stuck spending time with close family with lots of awkward silences before the inevitable tears on leaving day.

What has everyone else done on the last night(s) before moving?

Thanks
Dave

yellowroom Jul 23rd 2015 3:28 pm

Re: Last Night

Waved off the removals guys then collapsed in a heap with a glass of something restorative, iirc. Then managed my mum's tears the next morning before the taxi arrived to the airport.

If possible, do most of the farewells and parties well in advance. I would have preferred to go away for a couple of days in the UK to recover both physically and mentally, then go straight for my flight, but I think my parents would have taken it as a grave insult that I didn't want to spend my last night with them. Especially as they live so close to the airport! Do you have a favourite place that you like to go to as a family that you could go to for a day or so?

On the day, do get a taxi to the airport rather than lifts from family/friends so the tears are done at home and you can face the public with dry eyes looking forward to your new adventure.

Best of luck!

sir_eccles Jul 23rd 2015 3:34 pm

I recall having a really bad meal at TGIFridays as everything was packed up.

Though technically that wasn't the last night. More last night in my house before moving in with my parents for a few weeks before the last night.

Pulaski Jul 23rd 2015 3:39 pm

I don't remember exactly, but I think we just headed off to a hotel near LHR as the house was empty, ready to catch our flight the next morning. Whatever we did, it was unmemorable - meal at the hotel? :unsure:

Originally Posted by yellowroom (Post 11706375)
....., but I think my parents would have taken it as a grave insult that I didn't want to spend my last night with them. .....

It sounds like you were preparing to be executed, not just moving an 8 hour flight away! :huh:

SultanOfSwing Jul 23rd 2015 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by daccs (Post 11706364)
What has everyone else done on the last night(s) before moving?

Packed. Had a bath, then packed some more.

I had an early flight, so I didn't sleep. I just sat up packing and trying to set up my old computer for my mum so she had something to email me on. I can't really remember much else of what I did other than that, though.

markonline1 Jul 23rd 2015 3:52 pm

Spent it with my mum who then came with me to Heathrow to see me off. I left Mother's Day. It didn't go well.

lizzyq Jul 23rd 2015 4:39 pm

Stayed in an airport hotel as the beds were loaded for shipping on that final day. Staying at the hotel means you have already done the last packing and there is no temptation to add anything else in at the last minute.

Pica Jul 23rd 2015 4:51 pm

Probably got blasted!

rpjs Jul 23rd 2015 4:54 pm

We'd emptied the house out so that literally all was left was a mattress, a small half-moon table and a couple of chairs. We put them all out the front the morning we left: we'd already booked the council to pick up the mattress and we knew the furniture would easily find a taker.

Tom1981 Jul 23rd 2015 5:14 pm

We broke up our journey to the US from Dublin by staying overnight at Heathrow - whilst the hotel was unmemorable, my wife certainly appreciated not having to do all the tearful goodbyes with her family on the actual day we were moving.

The night before that might have involved a lot of wine, but it's a bit of a haze now... :)

lansbury Jul 23rd 2015 5:48 pm

We lived near Heathrow. Waved the shipping containing off, drove to the hotel we were staying in over night before flying the next day. That night we went to our favorite Indian restaurant which was near by and stuffed ourselves silly. We knew we wouldn't get an Indian meal as good for a long time, and so far its been 8 years.

cxx Jul 23rd 2015 7:14 pm

We hadn't planned anything, but had already done the family goodbyes the previous weekend, so were pleasantly surprised when our neighbours gave us a farewell party. Next morning we just put our stuff in the hire car and drove to the airport.

Giantaxe Jul 23rd 2015 7:30 pm

We said our family goodbyes a week or so earlier and were staying with a friend because our house had already been sold. I don't remember doing much at all. I know we got up early the next morning to take a company taxi to Heathrow. I did cry a little when we took off from Heathrow, not knowing when I would return to live in England. That was over a quarter of a century ago...

N1cky Jul 23rd 2015 7:34 pm

Ours was good, the relocation company booked the container for the wrong day, so the guys couldn't load until the following day. We were supposed to be cleaning up the house ready for it to go on the rental market, but the relocation people arranged for cleaners to come in the day after as a goodwill gesture.

So we buggered off to our hotel early, had a relaxing drink in the bar, and went out to the Chinese for crispy duck :thumbsup: drroooolll... crispy duck

yellowroom Jul 23rd 2015 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11706388)
It sounds like you were preparing to be executed, not just moving an 8 hour flight away! :huh:

as far as my mum was concerned, it was just as bad. She couldn't talk to anyone about me without crying for the first eighteen months. Ive since seen her offer condolences to other people who mention they have a child living abroad, which baffled them as they appeared quite proud of their achievements. Dad was far more stoic.