Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Las Vegas Marraige

Las Vegas Marraige

Old Jul 25th 2009, 9:10 pm
Just Joined

pabzta is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Las Vegas Marraige

Hello I'm new here and I am not sure where to post this.

I use to live in Los Angeles from 2003 until 2005.

I got married in Las Vegas 2003. I got separated in 2005 and now back in London England. I now have plans to get married in Philippines. But I am not divorced from the previous wife in the united states. Now I want to know If my previous marriage in USA is recognised in the UK?

1.How does one get a divorce if living in 2 separate countries?
2.Can I still get married again regardless if I'm still Married? The marriage I mentioned above was not registered here in UK.

Thanks.
Old Jul 25th 2009, 9:18 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Las Vegas Marraige

You need to divorce first.

You can divorce her through a UK court.

Start here: http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/...a_marriage.htm
Old Jul 25th 2009, 9:26 pm
Just Joined

Thanks. I look into that.
Old Jul 27th 2009, 11:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pabzta
I want to know If my previous marriage in USA is recognised in the UK?
Why wouldn't it be?

Any legitmate marriage ceremony in any country means you are married as far as pretty much any other country is concerned.

Is that not obvious?

And why is the UK's 'opinion' of interest when your current wife is in the USA and your proposed marriage is in the Philipines?
Old Jul 27th 2009, 11:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
Why wouldn't it be?

Any legitmate marriage ceremony in any country means you are married as far as pretty much any other country is concerned.

Is that not obvious?

And why is the UK's 'opinion' of interest when your current wife is in the USA and your proposed marriage is in the Philipines?
Well, this was Las Vegas where marriages often don't seem to last more than a few days so I suppose it is possible that the OP thought she had gotten a package deal that included an automatic annulment after 10 days ...
Old Jul 28th 2009, 12:18 am
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry...couldn't resist...

Old Jul 28th 2009, 6:13 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
Why wouldn't it be?

Is that not obvious?

Well because obviously for me to get married in Philippines, I will need to show that I am single. I would have to apply to get a certification of singularity. Just want to know if my previous marriage would show up on the system in British Embassy?

I did sign some divorce papers that my ex wife sent me, but I have not heard anything further regarding this. I know longer have contact with the ex, and nor do I know where is now. Is the American Embassy the best point of contact. Sorry if I sound stupid.
Old Jul 28th 2009, 6:37 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Well because obviously for me to get married in Philippines, I will need to show that I am single. I would have to apply to get a certification of singularity. Just want to know if my previous marriage would show up on the system in British Embassy?

I did sign some divorce papers that my ex wife sent me, but I have not heard anything further regarding this. I know longer have contact with the ex, and nor do I know where is now. Is the American Embassy the best point of contact. Sorry if I sound stupid.
The Embassy will not be able to help you (they only deal with immigration and similar), you'll have to go through the proper channels - hire a solicitor.

But don't the Philippines not recognise divorce? I'm sure there was a thread on here the other day from somebody who couldn't marry their Filipino partner because they were divorced and it's just not recognised there. Could be wrong though, but might be worth checking out.

Old Jul 28th 2009, 1:03 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

The embassy won't have a record of your divorce. You need to contact the department which holds marriage/divorce/birth records in the city or county where the divorce occurred. It shouldn't be hard to find. Do a google search on how to get a copy of your divorce decree in that county.

Rene
Old Jul 28th 2009, 2:36 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

The Certificate of Singularity is merely you swearing that it is true. As you can't swear to this, you're just digging a deeper hole.

If the divorce papers were filed, it will be recorded at the family court. The one that would have jurisdiction is most probably in the place where she was resident at the time of filing. Find which it is and take steps to see what is recorded. For example, here's my local one and you can check the basics of a case on line.

See if you can find yours.
Old Jul 29th 2009, 2:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Macca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello I'm new here and I am not sure where to post this.

I use to live in Los Angeles from 2003 until 2005.

I got married in Las Vegas 2003. I got separated in 2005 and now back in London England. I now have plans to get married in Philippines. But I am not divorced from the previous wife in the united states. Now I want to know If my previous marriage in USA is recognised in the UK?

1.How does one get a divorce if living in 2 separate countries?
2.Can I still get married again regardless if I'm still Married? The marriage I mentioned above was not registered here in UK.

Thanks.
It will only be recognised in the UK if one of the Vegas witnesses was an Elvis impersonator. I think you'll be fine if any Marilyn Monroe lookalikes were used, but you can check at the following website:

www.stupid****ingquestions/morons/.com
Old Jul 29th 2009, 3:34 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Las Vegas Marraige

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
But don't the Philippines not recognise divorce? I'm sure there was a thread on here the other day from somebody who couldn't marry their Filipino partner because they were divorced and it's just not recognised there. Could be wrong though, but might be worth checking out.

You're right. It's a staunch Catholic country and they don't recognise divorce.

On the other hand.....her extended family will be expecting a (in their eyes, rich) Western guy to be funding the whole lot of them for years to come and lots of requests for money for medical bills, school fees, business ventures etc.

A British guy who works for the same company as my husband married a Filipina (she was a maid in Hong Kong). They had a large house built in Cebu (a beautiful coastal resort) to be used primarily for holidays and trips for her to go 'home'. It turned out that her extended family (parents, siblings, cousins etc.) moved in to "look after" the house. He can't get them out and they've been there for a few years now...
Old Jul 29th 2009, 12:42 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum

A British guy who works for the same company as my husband married a Filipina (she was a maid in Hong Kong). They had a large house built in Cebu (a beautiful coastal resort) to be used primarily for holidays and trips for her to go 'home'. It turned out that her extended family (parents, siblings, cousins etc.) moved in to "look after" the house. He can't get them out and they've been there for a few years now...

What wonderful and caring in-laws this man has.
Old Jul 29th 2009, 3:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
You're right. It's a staunch Catholic country and they don't recognise divorce.

On the other hand.....her extended family will be expecting a (in their eyes, rich) Western guy to be funding the whole lot of them for years to come and lots of requests for money for medical bills, school fees, business ventures etc.

Let's not go too far down this path ... racial stereotypes and all that ... my girlfriend/partner is a Filipina and her family is way richer than me or my family ... we have a standing invitation to visit THEIR big spread over there. It is a third-world country and there are a lot of povery-stricken people there, it's true - but not every Filipina is a maid ... .
Old Jul 30th 2009, 1:20 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Let's not go too far down this path ... racial stereotypes and all that ... my girlfriend/partner is a Filipina and her family is way richer than me or my family ... we have a standing invitation to visit THEIR big spread over there. It is a third-world country and there are a lot of povery-stricken people there, it's true - but not every Filipina is a maid ... .
There is a reason they have a tougher time getting a visa though...

Sure not everyone is like that, but there are more than enough who make the situation what it is.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.