Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

large money transfers - Might have to factor in a delay!

large money transfers - Might have to factor in a delay!

Old Jan 22nd 2014, 3:13 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute
Default large money transfers - Might have to factor in a delay!

I was just discussing a money transfer through my normal provider XE.com who i have used successfully many times in the past. However - my plans hit a delay because my current account with Lloyds has advised me that i cannot transfer online more than $25,000 per calendar day. so any larger sum will take several days to accumulate. The only way i can get around this is to visit a branch which isnt possible

Ive spoken to XE and they acted as if they came across this often and would wait for the 'installments' to reach the desired 'trade amount'. I just wanted to flag this up because its new to me - ive transferred more than that in the past so i assume its the new regs having an impact.

so if you are wanting to send larger sums across - be aware it wont always be sent in one day if your bank has these limits in place.
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 3:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: large money transfers - Might have to factor in a delay!

That's higher than Royal Bank of Scotland. Had to transfer a large amount to BIL as he was a beneficiary of my late FIL. All the money had been deposited in our account as he hasn't had a UK account since he move to Australia more than 20 yrs ago. Max allowed was £10,000 per calendar day online or visit bank. So took a few days plus additional bank fees
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 5:05 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

If you are exchanging more than your banks daily transfer limit, you just book the date the currency broker will do the exchange to allow you time to transfer the funds to them. I transfer my pension quarterly if the rate if OK but that exceeds NatWests £10k a day limit. So I allow two days to transfer the money to the broker and book the contract date for the fourth day. I usually allow an extra day just in case there is a problem with a transfer. With World First you can set the contract date up to 365 days out.
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 8:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

I was able to overcome Intelligent Finance's on-line limit by calling them (they are part of Bank of Scotland which is part of Lloyds). After some security questions, and being satisfied that I had the money in my account, they transferred a substantial sum using the faster payment system. It was with my foreign exchange service within two hours.

Not surprisingly different banks have different practices.