Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Laptops in school

Wikiposts

Laptops in school

Old May 17th 2005, 8:38 am
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Laptops in school

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake
The upshot of it is, they want us to spend $1000+ (and that's supposedly a discount price ) on a laptop for our kids to drag backwards and forwards into school each day for classwork and get totally trashed in all likelyhood.
Redirect them to Dell who sell notebooks for $599 and ask why they want a grand.
Old May 17th 2005, 9:38 am
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

It gets worse. I thought this scheme was just for the older 5th grade next year kids, but no. I just found the same letter in my son's bag...he's in first grade
Old May 17th 2005, 10:00 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

It gets worse. I thought this scheme was just for the older 5th grade next year kids, but no. I just found the same letter in my son's bag...he's in first grade

A grand is just the intro cost, just think how much it is going to cost reapiring/replacing it.

Just ignore it, the novelty value will soon wear off.
Old May 17th 2005, 1:38 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

My 4th grade daughter came home yesterday with a letter from school titled "Would you be interested in your child participating a in laptop computer classroom next year?"
The upshot of it is, they want us to spend $1000+ (and that's supposedly a discount price ) on a laptop for our kids to drag backwards and forwards into school each day for classwork and get totally trashed in all likelyhood.
wow a lap top for a 4th grader?!
Is your child in a private school? that's just crazy if you ask me..high school and college yes probably a must have but elementary school?......

I know we'd have to say no way because of the price....my son's school teaches music...great , only they don't supply the instruments!

we had to fork out for a Bach trombone...they cost hundreds!!! thank goodness for e-bay
Next Fall my daughter wants a flute
Old May 17th 2005, 1:45 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

A first grader carting a laptop to and from school......this has to be some kind of crazy joke!!

If they want to teach the kids computer skills why don't they just have them in a computer room....why on earth do the kids need to have laptops???

do you live in Bellaire, CA?
Old May 17th 2005, 2:17 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
If they want to teach the kids computer skills why don't they just have them in a computer room....why on earth do the kids need to have laptops???
I dont' know about this one, but what's happening in maine, the schools have been given a grant so all kids get a laptop, parents don't pay for them...the schools get a special deal to get them cheap and they come loaded with open source software, the schools are still out of pocket because the grant doesn't cover the full cost of the laptops, but what is really stupid, if the schools don't pay to cover the extra cost they lose grant to help pay for computer network stuff and classes...so they can't win...the laptops are ibooks...but they weigh a ton, can't see kids actually using them, or teachers being bothered with knocking up powerpoint style presentations every day, well MIL says none of her friends do and it's not practical for her to bother with.
Old May 17th 2005, 2:37 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Another valid reason for not buying into this stupid scheme.
It does say other computers that meet required specifications can also be submitted with the priciple's permission. Meet requirements?? What possible reason could a 5th grader require a laptop with those kind of specs??
I'm betting that your county's schools has some kind of deal with Dell. Start marketing to kids as young as possible. Probably true for the vending machines too. They'll either sell Coke products or Pepsi products I expect.

NC Penguin
Old May 17th 2005, 3:07 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
I'm betting that your county's schools has some kind of deal with Dell. Start marketing to kids as young as possible. Probably true for the vending machines too. They'll either sell Coke products or Pepsi products I expect.

NC Penguin
Unfortunately, some are so underfunded, this is the only way they can make money.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.