Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Landscape Design

Landscape Design

Old Feb 22nd 2008, 8:20 am
Just Joined

sparky15 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Landscape Design

Hi, I am very interested and looking to work over in US, on the west coast.

I am 24 and currently work as an Landscape designer, and looking for work with design or architecture companys..

Anyone any ideas where I could start looking and how to go about it i have contacted quite a few recruitment agency.

Thanks for looking
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 10:52 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Landscape Design

Hi,

The blunt answer? It's going to be very rough, nearly impossible, to come over and do landscaping work. You are going to have a hard time getting a visa (I'm assuming you are not a US Citizen, married to a USC, or in possession of a green card at this time).

(I should also note we get this question pretty much every day--how do I come to America). There is a link in the WIKI you should review:

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA

You will need a work visa, and the demand for landscape architects and landscapers is not exactly a national priority. Computer technicians, doctors, college professors, etc--they are in demand, but even they have a hard time requiring a college degree or 12+ years experience.

Take a look at the wiki and see what you might be able to accomplish.

Good luck

p.s. do you speak Spanish? That's almost a basic requirement (seriously) for landscape work in the US.
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 4:50 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
p.s. do you speak Spanish? That's almost a basic requirement (seriously) for landscape work in the US.
Don't know if it will apply, but H2 seasonal visa might work if looking to work a summer season? I don't know the details though, but that could be worth a look as that often doesn't get filled up like the H1 would.
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 6:34 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sparky15
Anyone any ideas where I could start looking
www.match.com
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

britgalusa is a name known to allbritgalusa is a name known to allbritgalusa is a name known to allbritgalusa is a name known to allbritgalusa is a name known to allbritgalusa is a name known to allbritgalusa is a name known to allbritgalusa is a name known to allbritgalusa is a name known to allbritgalusa is a name known to allbritgalusa is a name known to all

Something else I would add being into this myself as a hobby. It is very hard to move to a new continent with a very different climate, plants, material and soil conditions - then apply what you know from elsewhere. Two years in and despite being a good & knowledgable gardener in the UK, it's a struggle here as everything is so different!
Old Mar 11th 2008, 7:28 pm
Just Joined

descarrga is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm a landscape Architect - Came initially on J1 visa - Just after college. then transferred to H1B. Quotas for this visa fill up pretty quickly I believe. You must have a job offer from a design firm, and ideally an MA or at least a BA in related field -
Check out ASLA.org - joblink - and craigslist employment page for which ever city you're thinking about heading to

Hope it helps a little
Old Mar 11th 2008, 7:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britgalusa
Something else I would add being into this myself as a hobby. It is very hard to move to a new continent with a very different climate, plants, material and soil conditions - then apply what you know from elsewhere. Two years in and despite being a good & knowledgable gardener in the UK, it's a struggle here as everything is so different!
Yes I'm like that, I don't know the names of anything here and they all die
Old Mar 11th 2008, 8:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

According to previous posts, you went to Dubai for 6 interviews, and you've asked about working in UAE. Do you even know where you want to go?? Getting to the US will be difficult for someone in your field. You may just want to forget about the US and focus on Dubai or UAE.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 8:59 pm
Just Joined

sparky15 is an unknown quantity at this point

yea.....thats what im doing far easier and had much more success, and one of the companies is Parsons which is a large US company.

The US is not going to happen i dont think at present, thanks for all your comments
Old Mar 11th 2008, 10:44 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Ther are at least 6 million mexican who will do it cheaper ...