Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Landlords wants to be named on my rental insurance

Landlords wants to be named on my rental insurance

Old Nov 3rd 2010, 6:00 pm
Just Joined

_Orpheus_ is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Moving to MI, Plenty of Questions...

Hold on a minute Drop Step, not that I am in support of this off topic conversation, but I never said I was turning up with just a suitcase of clothes. My original post stated that I was waiting for the moving company to come and assess my needs, implying that I have more than just clothes coming with me. In fact, as this is a permanent position I am moving everything with me. So, just to clarify, I do have alot of possessions and would rather that they dont get stolen, or that I will be compensated should the worst happen.

Anyway, now that is over can we get back on topic? Banks and car insurance please...

Cheers,
Orpheus
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 6:06 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by drop step
The renters insurance is unnecessary. There are very good consumer protections in the U.S. and the landlord is liable for just about everything so all you'd be insuring is the theft of your coffee table or tv maybe?
Now you're just spouting bullcrap. I'm all for a little fun n' games in the TP forum, but don't pull that stuff out here in the serious forums.

I mean it, and am not playing with this post.
meauxna
Super Moderator, at that.
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 7:07 pm
Banned

drop step is a jewel in the roughdrop step is a jewel in the roughdrop step is a jewel in the roughdrop step is a jewel in the roughdrop step is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by meauxna
Now you're just spouting bullcrap. I'm all for a little fun n' games in the TP forum, but don't pull that stuff out here in the serious forums.

I mean it, and am not playing with this post.
meauxna
Super Moderator, at that.
Ok, here's what I do know from experience. If a pipe breaks and causes water damage to the renters property the landlords insurance policy will cover it. If a wall outlet shorts out and causes a fire that causes smoke damage to the clothes and furniture of the renter, the landlords policy will cover that as well. If a renter accidently breaks a cabinet, dishwasher or window, the landlord is on the hook for that too.

From where i'm standing the Landlord is liable for everything. Now thats just an opinion
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 7:18 pm
Just Joined

_Orpheus_ is on a distinguished road

And when someone breaks in and steals my stuff? Are you going to pay up then? I understand what the landlord is liable for (my parents and I rent out a property) but this is not going to cover my individual items; television, hifi, computer, etc...

That is the last word on it. Please can we move on now...
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 7:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

From where i'm standing the Landlord is liable for everything. Now thats just an opinion
Would the landlord be liable for the renters property if another tenant starts a fire? If somebody breaks in? If the tenant loses, for example, a ring? If the tenant has something of value in their car that gets stolen? If a tenant has something in storage and the storage unit floods, burns down or is broken in to? If a tree falls through the window and takes out a bunch of their stuff? If the renter accidentally breaks something expensive they own?
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 11:55 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
If the renter accidentally breaks something expensive they own?
that's not covered by Renters insurance either.

it's got to be a covered loss.
  • Fire, lightning
  • Windstorm, hail
  • Explosion
  • Riots
  • Damage by aircraft
  • Damage by vehicle (not your own)
  • Damage from smoke
  • Vandalism
  • Theft
  • Volcanic eruption
  • Falling objects
  • Weight of snow, ice, sleet
  • Damage from steam-heating/water-heating appliances/systems
  • Leakage or overflow of water or steam
  • Freezing of plumbing, heating, air conditioning
  • Short-circuit damage caused by electrical appliances
breakages are normally covered on a personal articles policy.

Last edited by Manc; Nov 3rd 2010 at 11:57 pm.
Old Nov 4th 2010, 12:09 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Landlords wants to be named on my rental insurance

Adding posts on this topic that weren't at home in their other thread.
Old Nov 4th 2010, 12:20 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

The renters insurance is unnecessary. There are very good consumer protections in the U.S. and the landlord is liable for just about everything so all you'd be insuring is the theft of your coffee table or tv maybe?
You are wrong, landlord's are NOT liable for the contents of an apartment ...eg that which belongs to the renter.. Renters insurance is a must in my opinion. I've had friends who have lost all the contents of their apartment because they did not have renters insurance. An apartment in their block caught fire and all my friends worldly goods were ruined by smoke and water damage. They had to start from scratch.

As someone has already mentioned, the cost of renters insurance is quite low and well worth the peace of mind.
Old Nov 4th 2010, 2:14 am
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, here's what I do know from experience. If a pipe breaks and causes water damage to the renters property the landlords insurance policy will cover it. If a wall outlet shorts out and causes a fire that causes smoke damage to the clothes and furniture of the renter, the landlords policy will cover that as well. If a renter accidently breaks a cabinet, dishwasher or window, the landlord is on the hook for that too.

Bull. The rules are different from state to state. If you start a fire while trying to boil water, the landlord's insurance doesn't cover it, in fact his insurance may sue you for damage to the property.

Where I live, I have to provide a copy of my renter's insurance each year.
Old Nov 4th 2010, 3:59 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

The main benefit of Renters Insurance is the Liability Coverage.
Old Nov 4th 2010, 4:32 pm
Banned

drop step is a jewel in the roughdrop step is a jewel in the roughdrop step is a jewel in the roughdrop step is a jewel in the roughdrop step is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen
Bull. The rules are different from state to state. If you start a fire while trying to boil water, the landlord's insurance doesn't cover it, in fact his insurance may sue you for damage to the property.

Where I live, I have to provide a copy of my renter's insurance each year.
Renters in America are usually renting because they don't have any money. You try to sue somebody that works at Walmart and let me know how that works for ya?
Old Nov 4th 2010, 4:33 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen
Bull. The rules are different from state to state.
Thats what I said
Old Nov 4th 2010, 4:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Renters in America are usually renting because they don't have any money.
Usually? Another piece of misinformation brought to you by "drop step".
Old Nov 4th 2010, 5:00 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Usually? Another piece of misinformation brought to you by "drop step".
All I know is that when one of my daughters recently moved out and into her first (fairly nice $1300/month) apartment I felt as if she were surrounded by people that just got out of jail or something. Once again, just my opinion based on 45 years of life.
Old Nov 4th 2010, 5:47 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Renters in America are usually renting because they don't have any money. You try to sue somebody that works at Walmart and let me know how that works for ya?
Depends where you live don't it....many places, it's much cheaper renting than it is to buy.

Sure someone owning can claim more tax back, but they've still gotta pay up front and $3K a month for a tiny 2 bed house is pretty pants when you can be renting in a better area for less.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.