Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

landline providers?

landline providers?

Old Nov 7th 2011, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

laety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud of
Default landline providers?

Good morning!
As Im starting to settle a bit, Im looking at telephone providers for a home line (not cell)
However, I got a bit of a "shock" when I saw the prices (pretty much all starting from $40 and more) not even including international calls
I guess my questions are:
1/can anyone recommend me a good provider with reasonable rates?
2/do you have a all included or do you pay by minute?
3/if you pay by minute, do you also get charged when someone call you ? (I have that with my mobile phone pay as you go contract)
4/ we are in california, do you recommend a line that does free "local calls" and then pay for anything on the top of it

I guess I was expecting to have like BT or skype, either pay for the line and then all the calls on the top of it (so around £10/£11 pm landline), or pay for all included sort of deal for about £18 ish
thank you very much for any help!
Laety
Old Nov 7th 2011, 9:10 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: landline providers?

How are you getting your Internet?
Old Nov 7th 2011, 9:29 pm
Forum Regular

laety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud of

with the cable company (although I dont pay the cable as its included within my rent/building)
So i cant get a "bundle"
Old Nov 7th 2011, 9:35 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by laety
with the cable company (although I dont pay the cable as its included within my rent/building)
So i cant get a "bundle"
If you're on the phone a lot (and I mean a lot!), get Vonage or Lingo service.

If you're on the phone anything other than a lot, buy your own ATA and use Callcentric.
Old Nov 7th 2011, 11:45 pm
Forum Regular

Havnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by laety
Good morning!
As Im starting to settle a bit, Im looking at telephone providers for a home line (not cell)
However, I got a bit of a "shock" when I saw the prices (pretty much all starting from $40 and more) not even including international calls
I guess my questions are:
1/can anyone recommend me a good provider with reasonable rates?
2/do you have a all included or do you pay by minute?
3/if you pay by minute, do you also get charged when someone call you ? (I have that with my mobile phone pay as you go contract)
4/ we are in california, do you recommend a line that does free "local calls" and then pay for anything on the top of it

I guess I was expecting to have like BT or skype, either pay for the line and then all the calls on the top of it (so around £10/£11 pm landline), or pay for all included sort of deal for about £18 ish
thank you very much for any help!
Laety
We have our phone line with Cox Cable - it is $17.99 for the basic monthly service, voice mail is $7.99, worldwide international calling plan is $2.99. On my last bill a 28 minute call to Canada was $1.40
Old Nov 8th 2011, 12:07 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Probably depends on local location as to who serves you, so you probably don't have much choice.

Could just use calling cards on top of basic phone, if you even need a land line, or go with a VOIP option if the cable is half decent....or just go with Skype.
Old Nov 8th 2011, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

TheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud of

We use Ooma, which is a VOIP provider similar to Vonage, except you only pay regulatory fees / taxes each month - mine is $3 plus change.

You have to drop a bit of dosh on the box (around $170) but for that you get a rather spiffy looking VOIP gateway.

Included in this "free" service is unlimited (subject to AUP, of course) US calling, voice mail and a couple of other things. I think it's pretty good value and it has already paid for itself in the savings I've made from cancelling my Charter Home Phone service.

For international calls we use Google Voice. 2c / min to most of Europe and free calls to Canada, ey.

Needless to say you need a decent internet connection for this to work properly, but that's no different to Vonage etc.
Old Nov 8th 2011, 1:16 pm
Septicity

Originally Posted by TheCynick
We use Ooma, which is a VOIP provider similar to Vonage, except you only pay regulatory fees / taxes each month - mine is $3 plus change.

You have to drop a bit of dosh on the box (around $170) but for that you get a rather spiffy looking VOIP gateway.

Included in this "free" service is unlimited (subject to AUP, of course) US calling, voice mail and a couple of other things. I think it's pretty good value and it has already paid for itself in the savings I've made from cancelling my Charter Home Phone service.

For international calls we use Google Voice. 2c / min to most of Europe and free calls to Canada, ey.

Needless to say you need a decent internet connection for this to work properly, but that's no different to Vonage etc.
Along the lines of the Ooma, saw this the other day -- http://obihai.com/

The Obi110 seems to be a regular ATA with Google Voice integration, so should give you what the Ooma does at a cheaper price. No practical experience with whether it works well, but the reviews on Amazon are good.
Old Nov 8th 2011, 2:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud of

We use VoIP. We have a VoIP phone with plugs into our router (cost $107), we have a US and a UK number which will cost us 40p (+VAT) a month from December (it's free at the moment). It costs us 0.55p a minute to call UK numbers and 0.67p to call US numbers, but we don't have any inclusive minutes (at the moment we don't have many people to call in the US so mainly use our mobiles). If people call us it comes out of their inclusive minutes (if they have any) and it doesn't cost us anything.

But I am married to an IT expert who set it all up
Old Nov 8th 2011, 2:24 pm
Septicity

Originally Posted by Wibblypig
It costs us 0.55p a minute to call UK numbers and 0.67p to call US numbers,
Are you sure? Would be the most expensive VOIP system I've ever seen! Calls to UK/US should be under 2c/min if you're paying per call.
Old Nov 8th 2011, 2:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Are you sure? Would be the most expensive VOIP system I've ever seen! Calls to UK/US should be under 2c/min if you're paying per call.
I think you will find 0.67p is less than 2c/min
Old Nov 8th 2011, 2:33 pm
Forum Regular

TheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud of

lol, true that!
Old Nov 8th 2011, 2:34 pm
Septicity

Aha! Missed the decimal without my reading glasses.
Old Nov 8th 2011, 2:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Aha! Missed the decimal without my reading glasses.
I know the feeling and I don't even need reading glasses.....yet
Old Nov 8th 2011, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

thats great thanks for all those names! Im checking them at the moment, but its not very clear if you still need to pay for a phone line or I just need a normal phone and thats all.. im not very technical as you can see!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.