Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Land of opportunity...

Land of opportunity...

Old Jul 17th 2008, 7:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Land of opportunity...

Originally Posted by neil
Elvira's background is irrelevant and wasn't even mentioned in her post. I started a post in the trailer park on the same subject before I noticed hers. I'm very happy with my life in the US.

A solution really isn't that easy so to suggest that someone should have put it here is a bit ridiculous. You think that the insurance companies will just disappear. It will take time and effort to get to a decent solution, and hopefully someone out there knows where to start with this mess. A good start is to get people talking about it.
Elvira's background is relevant. Isn't it a bit strange she hasn't comeback to post on her thread? And yes it will take time and effort to get to a decent solution, I totally agree. So who should we start talking to first? Seriously? I'm an impatient person and I'm tired of waiting for answers.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 7:23 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by surly
Another one of your little tricks is to misquote someone and attribute opinions not expressed.

I did not say she was not qualified or even entitled.

I said doubted this was posted over concern for the country, since she has in the past often expressed her contempt and dislike of the America and can't wait to leave as soon as is convenient.
But that's what invalid argumentum ad hominem is! Somebody posts a position, and you then challenge that position solely by attacking the poster rather than their argument. That's what you did and my assessment of your argument fits precisely.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 7:23 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
It's something that's always puzzled me...now come on don't tell me you've never thought about it.
Blame it on the weather and in particular the amount of static electricity in the winter. The fluffy bits all stand on end, thereby making all the fluff less fluffy.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 7:24 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Elvira's background is relevant. Isn't it a bit strange she hasn't comeback to post on her thread? And yes it will take time and effort to get to a decent solution, I totally agree. So who should we start talking to first? Seriously? I'm an impatient person and I'm tired of waiting for answers.
Well we haven't heard from Kentucky or Florida either for that matter.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 7:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Blame it on the weather and in particular the amount of static electricity in the winter. The fluffy bits all stand on end, thereby making all the fluff less fluffy.
Hmmm you could be onto something, and maybe the humidity, I know it certainly plays havoc with me hair.
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nethead
So what do you suggest we discuss if nothing negative is 'allowed', it's not like this was another UK versus US thread? Shall we just chat about fluff constantly.
in a nut shell.
Guttural Brumerican

Titchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by surly
Another one of your little tricks is to misquote someone and attribute opinions not expressed.
Because of course, calling someone a "toffee nosed ******" is a much less derisory argumentative tactic
Old Jul 17th 2008, 7:26 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nethead
Hmmm you could be onto something, and maybe the humidity, I know it certainly plays havoc with me hair.
If we can find a solution to this all our worries will be gone.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 7:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Well we haven't heard from Kentucky or Florida either for that matter.
Ahhhh, the land of opportunity folks. Just smile and wave boys, smile and wave.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 7:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Titchski
Because of course, calling someone a "toffee nosed ******" is a much less derisory argumentative tactic
Oh dear! Was the "c" word used?
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, I think most people are aware of the narrowing ledge. I'm one of those that has a medical condition that will require me to have insurance coverage the rest of my life. It could easily bankrupt me if I have an attack. I'm under no illusion about that. I most definitely want a universal coverage so I don't have the worry, and because I believe that healthcare should absolutely not be a for-profit enterprise.

I'll admit that I only read the snippet that the OP copied, and not the full article so maybe there are points that I've missed. Based on what the OP snipped, though, this is nothing new to me. It's the same old crap, regurgitated another way.

As far as my saying "work your a$$ off", I had to work those $6, $7, $8 an hour jobs to make my through college. I am a whole-hearted believer that everyone has the potential to learn a skill that can earn them a decent living - whether it is a hands-on trade or requires book learning. From my perspective, I see too many people not wanting to take the effort to learn and apply themselves. They'd rather sit back and say 'the system let me down', 'it's too hard', "I'm being repressed'. The government can absolutely offer even more opportunities, but there would still be people saying the same things.

I don't think I have an "I'm alright Jack, let's not change anything" attitude. I see things that need to change, and I look forward to them changing. I'm doing all I can to help things change by voting for people that will help facilitate it.

I'm not going to lose any sleep over some agency rating us the 34th ranked mortality rank in the world. Without the background data, 34th means nothing to me. What's the difference between 1st and 34th? A 1% difference? A 2% difference? The difference of living 77 years vs. 76? Is the data readily available for us to disseminate?

Last edited by Bluegrass Lass; Jul 17th 2008 at 7:30 pm.
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

If we can find a solution to this all our worries will be gone.

Woohoo. I'll write a letter to Vidal Sasson right now.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 7:30 pm
Guttural Brumerican

Titchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Oh dear! Was the "c" word used?
By the process of elimination (as I believe "twat" gets through the anti-swearing-filtration-device), I believe it was, yes!

Last edited by Titchski; Jul 17th 2008 at 7:30 pm. Reason: Twat does indeed slip through the cracks, erm, as it were
Old Jul 17th 2008, 7:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Titchski
By the process of elimination (as I believe "twat" gets through the anti-swearing-filtration-device), I believe it was, yes!
Oh my, oh my indeed!
Old Jul 17th 2008, 7:31 pm
Septicity

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
I'm not going to lose any sleep over some agency rating us the 34th ranked mortality rank in the world. Without the background data, 34th means nothing to me. What's the difference between 1st and 34th? A 1% difference? A 2% difference? The difference of living 77 years vs. 76? Is the data readily available for us to disseminate?
The data is clear and pretty consistent -- it's also frightening. Google is your friend.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.