Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Land of the free my arse

Land of the free my arse

Old Jan 28th 2007, 9:06 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Land of the free my arse

Ok - I've just had a rant about plug-holes on another thread. This one's about a stupid MA law (apparently) that means that the beer festival I'm going to next month in Boston only serves 2oz measures. 2oz!! That's 59ml, or one-eighth of a U.S. pint or just over a tenth of a proper pint!!

Of course I only realised once I'd shelled out 30 bucks for a ticket that entitles me to attend this event for 3 hours. I'll be lucky if i get to drink 3 pints. Not that I'm there to get pissed, but 2oz!!! I'll hardly be able to taste the stuff.

Goodness only knows what the numbskull who dreamt this one up was thinking.

Anyone else encountered any stupid rules recently that annoyed them?
Old Jan 28th 2007, 9:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

gsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Land of the free my arse

Originally Posted by tonrob

Too many to list!
Old Jan 28th 2007, 10:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

psb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond repute

My kid who is 17 got done last night for for driving after midnight.Law states you have to be 18 to drive after midnight,now he has to go to court,pay a fine,he got a ticket which means more insurance costs for the next 3 years.
Only a couple months ago the Army and Marines were after him to sign up and go to Iraq.
So they will send you to die for the country but you can't drive after midnight and can't buy a pack of fags and can't have a beer.
**** the USA and **** it's stupid laws
Old Jan 28th 2007, 10:55 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Given the obesity problem over here, I think it's more "The Land of the Free-My-Arse".
Old Jan 28th 2007, 11:02 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Ok - I've just had a rant about plug-holes on another thread. This one's about a stupid MA law (apparently) that means that the beer festival I'm going to next month in Boston only serves 2oz measures. 2oz!! That's 59ml, or one-eighth of a U.S. pint or just over a tenth of a proper pint!!

Of course I only realised once I'd shelled out 30 bucks for a ticket that entitles me to attend this event for 3 hours. I'll be lucky if i get to drink 3 pints. Not that I'm there to get pissed, but 2oz!!! I'll hardly be able to taste the stuff.

Goodness only knows what the numbskull who dreamt this one up was thinking.

Wouldn't it be better value to go to a bar and drink beer than go to a beer festival?

NC Penguin
Old Jan 28th 2007, 11:45 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Wouldn't it be better value to go to a bar and drink beer than go to a beer festival?

NC Penguin
Oh yes indeedy it would! I was just thinking i'd try something different. done most of the Boston brewpubs a couple of times so thought I'd go somewhere with a bit more selection. That'll teach me. Should've stuck to my bottle of meths...
Old Jan 28th 2007, 11:46 pm
Septic Sprout

Originally Posted by psb182
My kid who is 17 got done last night for for driving after midnight.Law states you have to be 18 to drive after midnight,now he has to go to court,pay a fine,he got a ticket which means more insurance costs for the next 3 years.
Only a couple months ago the Army and Marines were after him to sign up and go to Iraq.
So they will send you to die for the country but you can't drive after midnight and can't buy a pack of fags and can't have a beer.
**** the USA and **** it's stupid laws
Unbe-*****ing-lievable.
Old Jan 29th 2007, 1:39 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

ouch...samples up in maine were 5oz...if your in Portland, by the mall, the sebago brewing company...fantastic stuff
Old Jan 29th 2007, 1:42 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by psb182
they have those curfew laws up in maine, can't drive with passengers after 6pm I think, unless with a parent/guardian and other weird stuff like that...can't remember the details...but one weird one, if you move to the state and are under 21, you have to have a learners permit for 6 months before being allowed to switch to a full license, but you'll be allowed to drive on your own as if it were a full license...it just means if you get pulled, any infraction is an automatic 30 day suspension of your license....that's also true for anyone under 21, and you've got half the amount of penalty points to play with on top....not that it makes a difference.
Old Jan 29th 2007, 1:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin

NC Penguin
Maybe sometimes, but not always and it's not as fun. 2oz does sound a little weak though. Last one I went to served 6oz samples and you got 20 of them for $25 plus a bunch of "free" stuff. That's 10 beers, $2.50 a beer over a 3 hour period. They put it up to $30 or $35 this year but when you can get cask ales, rare stuff and a lot of brews that you can't normally get I think it's worth it.

is i the extreme beer fest you're going to? I know that's in Boston next month but I thought the tickets were more. If it is, I've heard good things about it.
Old Jan 29th 2007, 10:32 am
Septic Sprout

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
Maybe sometimes, but not always and it's not as fun. 2oz does sound a little weak though. Last one I went to served 6oz samples and you got 20 of them for $25 plus a bunch of "free" stuff. That's 10 beers, $2.50 a beer over a 3 hour period. They put it up to $30 or $35 this year but when you can get cask ales, rare stuff and a lot of brews that you can't normally get I think it's worth it.

is i the extreme beer fest you're going to? I know that's in Boston next month but I thought the tickets were more. If it is, I've heard good things about it.
Yes, it's the Extreme Beer Fest. I went last year for the first time. Samples were 4oz then which I thought were tiny but at least it was a swig or two. Nowhere in the advertising did it mention that the previously-small samples had been cut in half. Went to a beer festival in Holyoke, MA about a year-and-a-half ago and they were selling beer in normal (American) pints and halves.
Old Jan 29th 2007, 4:22 pm
Illinois Rapscallion

Circus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond repute

When I first came here to Eureka Illinois it was still a "dry" town ....no alcohol to be found within the township (for sale that is). Coming from a place like Wigan I found this to be a shock to the system!!! 3 years on, the ban has been lifted. A recent vote saw the old law overturned 51% to 49% ....the Apostolic Christian community is in uproar...predicting all sorts catastrophic events. There is little doubt that once the AC's become the majority on the local council again that they will try to turn the clock back but until then I will happily walk the 300 yards to purchase my Sam Adams versus the old 2 mile trek. BTW we also have local laws on the length of grass in your yard ...no more that 4 inches .....teen's under 16 are subject to a curfew unless with an adult and no loud noises after 10pm .....
Old Jan 29th 2007, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

AvromShalom has much to be proud ofAvromShalom has much to be proud ofAvromShalom has much to be proud ofAvromShalom has much to be proud ofAvromShalom has much to be proud ofAvromShalom has much to be proud ofAvromShalom has much to be proud ofAvromShalom has much to be proud ofAvromShalom has much to be proud ofAvromShalom has much to be proud ofAvromShalom has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Circus-of-Power
When I first came here to Eureka Illinois it was still a "dry" town ....no alcohol to be found within the township (for sale that is). Coming from a place like Wigan I found this to be a shock to the system!!! 3 years on, the ban has been lifted. A recent vote saw the old law overturned 51% to 49% ....the Apostolic Christian community is in uproar...predicting all sorts catastrophic events. There is little doubt that once the AC's become the majority on the local council again that they will try to turn the clock back but until then I will happily walk the 300 yards to purchase my Sam Adams versus the old 2 mile trek. BTW we also have local laws on the length of grass in your yard ...no more that 4 inches .....teen's under 16 are subject to a curfew unless with an adult and no loud noises after 10pm .....

yeah land of the free alright! , We also have rules on Grass in the yard etc, drives me nuts but then I've always rebelled against any kind of authority whatsoever
Old Jan 29th 2007, 5:37 pm
Illinois Rapscallion

Circus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond repute

I just pay the kids to cut it when its 3.99 inches high
Old Jan 29th 2007, 6:03 pm
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute

My brother inlaw was working onthe engine of his dads jet ski, moored at their own jetty on the lake at their back door. While standing in the water next to it he hit the ignition and it flew forward two or three feet. A lake cop screamed up and he got a ticket for not wearing a life jacket and being under 18 without a permit to ride the jet ski. It cost him a couple of hundred dollars, desptite the fact that he wasn't riding the ski or intending to.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.