Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Land of the Free ??

Land of the Free ??

Old Jan 24th 2006, 6:12 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Land of the Free ??

Originally Posted by User Name
That's one of the points I am making ... at least we are compensated under this new U.S. Supreme Court ruling, so why do so many bleat on and on about this new ruling when in fact there is compensation given to those that lose their property under this ruling.
So just to clarify your point.
Because over the centuries people have been forceably evicted from their lands and homes then there's nothing wrong with that continuing.
Compensation is neither here nor there if people are being moved against their will to make way for a poxy hotel or walmart just so some millionaire can get his/her grubby hands on a few extra bucks.
Old Jan 24th 2006, 6:31 pm
Wind, earth, fire, water

User Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
So just to clarify your point.
Because over the centuries people have been forceably evicted from their lands and homes then there's nothing wrong with that continuing.
Compensation is neither here nor there if people are being moved against their will to make way for a poxy hotel or walmart just so some millionaire can get his/her grubby hands on a few extra bucks.
Nope. It is always fundamentally wrong to destroy a culture, that is a terrible act. Many Indian Tribes were not merely moved, but wiped out of existence, some under the colour of English law and the King of England. At least under the new U.S. Supreme Court ruling, folks are compensated and are certainly not wiped out of existence. Also, the same kind of rules and laws exist in the UK, the dockland redevelopment schemes being one example. The building of commercial office buildings and business parks on land taken (with compensation) from other property owners is a fact of life in the UK, not just in the USA.
Old Jan 24th 2006, 6:37 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Nope. It is always fundamentally wrong to destroy a culture, that is a terrible act. Many Indian Tribes were not merely moved, but wiped out of existence, some under the colour of English law and the King of England. At least under the new U.S. Supreme Court ruling, folks are compensated and are certainly not wiped out of existence. Also, the same kind of rules and laws exist in the UK, the dockland redevelopment schemes being one example. The building of commercial office buildings and business parks on land taken (with compensation) from other property owners is a fact of life in the UK, not just in the USA.
OK - maybe I should have made this point before - this law has NOTHING to do with american indians or any other displaced people for that matter.
Nor does it have anything to do with dockland regeneration schemes in the UK.
What many people are afraid of is the unholy alliances that exist in the US between big businesses and politicians and the potential that this law provides big business to exploit their political connections to line their own pockets.
If you thinks its fair that an under-priviledged community could potentially be swept aside to make way for a new mall then that's fair enough, but i can assure you that similar laws have not been abused in the UK - it appears that people expect that they will be abused in the US.
Old Jan 24th 2006, 6:45 pm
Wind, earth, fire, water

User Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond repute

Though there were some conflicts with indians in those days didn't the europeans mostly live in relatively small settlements and trade with the 'locals'.
There was certainly no organised genocide on the scale perpatrated by the US government in the late 19th century.
The point I am making is some of us see fit to bleep on about a new US court ruling, while ignoring the simple fact that the equivalent rule exists in the UK and has existed for decades.

But as to organized genocide ... so, the massive full-scale bombing in Iraq by the RAF from October 1922 and until 1932 don't count ... what happened in Scotland - the land clearances don't count ... neither does the British Army massacres in British controlled India ... the list is endless ... are you saying the great British Empire wasn't an organized effort to stretch British rule right around the globe (sun never set on the British Empire, etc.) simply never happened? That other countries just invited us in, that we used thousands of British troops to occupy these foreign lands and enforce British rule was merely an unfortunate coincidence?

I am only pointing to the duplicity here. We bleat about a new ruling like it is the end of the world, and ignore the awful things done in under the colour of British rule and/or occupation. The splitting of Ireland, the domination of Wales, the annexation of Scotland, the fight by the King of England to maintain domination in what later became the USA.
Old Jan 24th 2006, 6:51 pm
Wind, earth, fire, water

If you thinks its fair that an under-priviledged community could potentially be swept aside to make way for a new mall then that's fair enough, but i can assure you that similar laws have not been abused in the UK - it appears that people expect that they will be abused in the US.
Nope, I don't so thinks. The new ruling, imho, is fundamentally flawed. A large hotel group should not have the power to directly or indirect compulsory purchase land just to build a hotel to make more $$$ for said hotel group. But Tesco does similar things in the UK ... you do read the British press from time to time? Tesco has on several occasions worked through local authorities to buy land to build new Tesco stores. Are you saying you are not aware that this has been going on for quite some time back in the UK?
Old Jan 24th 2006, 6:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

The point I am making is some of us see fit to bleep on about a new US court ruling, while ignoring the simple fact that the equivalent rule exists in the UK and has existed for decades.

But as to organized genocide ... so, the massive full-scale bombing in Iraq by the RAF from October 1922 and until 1932 don't count ... what happened in Scotland - the land clearances don't count ... neither does the British Army massacres in British controlled India ... the list is endless ... are you saying the great British Empire wasn't an organized effort to stretch British rule right around the globe (sun never set on the British Empire, etc.) simply never happened? That other countries just invited us in, that we used thousands of British troops to occupy these foreign lands and enforce British rule was merely an unfortunate coincidence?

I am only pointing to the duplicity here. We bleat about a new ruling like it is the end of the world, and ignore the awful things done in under the colour of British rule and/or occupation. The splitting of Ireland, the domination of Wales, the annexation of Scotland, the fight by the King of England to maintain domination in what later became the USA.
The more I read the more sleepy I get.

Who cares what the UK laws have to do with it.

Give up Franky.
Old Jan 24th 2006, 7:02 pm
Thinking about it

Do you by any chance read the Guardian ??
Old Jan 24th 2006, 7:05 pm
Wind, earth, fire, water

Most days (some days the articles originate from its sister paper, the English Observer), but not to the extent I don't read other newspapers. I read newspapers published in Scotland, England and Wales, including the English Guardian newspaper.
Old Jan 24th 2006, 7:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Most days (some days the articles originate from its sister paper, the English Observer), but not to the extent I don't read other newspapers. I read newspapers published in Scotland, England and Wales, including the English Guardian newspaper.
Say no more then
Old Jan 24th 2006, 7:14 pm
Wind, earth, fire, water

... also, the Washington Post, the Chicago Sun-Times, and other U.S. newspapers, also fresh or slightly old copies of the WSJ and FT (usually in my lunch hour, I will scan-read just about any deserted newspaper - including local newspapers. I used to read the Sunday newspapers in the supermarkets, before filling up the shopping trolley, along with sci-fi paperbacks ... I'm a cheap bugger at times, never buy a newspaper, rarely buy a book, but have spent hours in Borders, other chain bookshops, or in chain supermarket reading standing up! I would never do that in a small bookshop. But I often wander around a large canteen looking for a table with today's newspapers (of what-ever-flavour) left sprawled over the table!