Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Land of the Free ??

Land of the Free ??

Old Jan 24th 2006, 3:46 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Land of the Free ??

Originally Posted by rushman
I believe i did do that once or twice...sorry Mac.
Paddy would be much closer, but even that ain't great
Old Jan 24th 2006, 3:46 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
You've let yourself down big time with that edit
I was responding to yours in alikewise fashion
Old Jan 24th 2006, 3:48 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Paddy would be much closer, but even that ain't great
Thats me f**ked then. My grandad was from Galway and to verbally spar with you on the subject would make me feel like i was letting the old fella down.
Old Jan 24th 2006, 2:20 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rushman
Why...is your arse oppressed?
Yeah, it's being held captive by my trousers!
Old Jan 24th 2006, 2:21 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, and iron brew and tom jones, what about them eh ???
You won't be so smug when they leave too.
mmmmm irn bru!

Last edited by Partystar; Jan 24th 2006 at 2:24 pm.
Old Jan 24th 2006, 2:32 pm

Elsie The Maid is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by User Name
It's pretty much true. We might moan at getting regular compensation if our abode is taken, but what of the Native Americans, this was their land and we took it largely by force of arms. Anyone planning to give their property to the Native Americans? Maybe they took it from someone else too. Come to think about it, when is Scotland going to get its full nation status back?

Oh FFS, people have been taking over other people's land since the dawn of ****ing time. Why were the American Indians so special? I don't get it.
Old Jan 24th 2006, 5:28 pm
Wind, earth, fire, water

User Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elsie The Maid
Oh FFS, people have been taking over other people's land since the dawn of ****ing time. Why were the American Indians so special? I don't get it.
... just begs the question why so much fuss over a certain U.S. Supreme Court decision. At least the owner of the property gets some compensation. In the UK there are plenty of examples of land taken under special Acts of Parliament, businesses forced to move or close down, etc. Most Indian Tribes were wiped out and their lands taken by force of arms with little or no compensation. We are pretty much all living on land that belonged to an Indian Tribe, anyone planning to give their property back?

All the same, I think the U.S. S. Ct. ruling was fundamentally wrong, but I do think it is a bit rich that we bleat about it so especially as there is a compensation element. Few Native Indians got compensation for being driven off their lands, with many tribes totally destroyed. The new Native Indian museum on The Mall in DC has an exhibit that shows the hundreds of tribes wiped out of existence. Their culture and languages lost from the world. It was very upsetting to see the savage way Europeans treated the Native Indians, and our lack of respect for their basic fundamental rights to exist. But how we bleat so over a new ruling that for the most part will not impact on any of us, and if by chance we were impacted, we would receive compensation.
Old Jan 24th 2006, 5:33 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

... just begs the question why so much fuss over a certain U.S. Supreme Court decision. At least the owner of the property gets some compensation. In the UK there are plenty of examples of land taken under special Acts of Parliament, businesses forced to move or close down, etc. Most Indian Tribes were wiped out and their lands taken by force of arms with little or no compensation. We are pretty much all living on land that belonged to an Indian Tribe, anyone planning to give their property back?

All the same, I think the U.S. S. Ct. ruling was fundamentally wrong, but I do think it is a bit rich that we bleat about it so especially as there is a compensation element. Few Native Indians got compensation for being driven off their lands, with many tribes totally destroyed. The new Native Indian museum on The Mall in DC has an exhibit that shows the hundreds of tribes wiped out of existence. Their culture and languages lost from the world. It was very upsetting to see the savage way Europeans treated the Native Indians, and our lack of respect for their basic fundamental rights to exist. But how we bleat so over a new ruling that for the most part will not impact on any of us, and if by chance we were impacted, we would receive compensation.
Let us take this lovely state of ours as an example. A small fishing village community lives peaceably as their ancestors have done for 100 years, on the banks of the Gulf somewhere down the coast. In comes big money one day, and decides they want to build luxury condos all along the beautiful ocean and the people have to leave their homes because they're not paying enough in PROPERTY TAX to satisfy the local county.

THAT is what this Act is about. Nothing more. Nothing less. More tax $$$ in the local fat politico's 'pockets'.
Old Jan 24th 2006, 5:33 pm

Elsie The Maid is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't remember the Romans compensating the English or the Soviets compensating the Polish....blah, blah, blah. Like I said, this has been going on for centuries, it's still going on in other parts of the world. No one "nicely" takes over anyone elses land.
Old Jan 24th 2006, 5:34 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

It was very upsetting to see the savage way Europeans treated the Native Indians
err, I believe that most of the butchering was done in the name of the United States of America so leave the rest of the world out of it please.
Old Jan 24th 2006, 5:37 pm
Thinking about it

Originally Posted by izibear
THAT is what this Act is about. Nothing more. Nothing less. More tax $$$ in the local fat politico's 'pockets'.
Very well put
Old Jan 24th 2006, 6:04 pm
Wind, earth, fire, water

User Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond repute

err, I believe that most of the butchering was done in the name of the United States of America so leave the rest of the world out of it please.

errr errr ... the Indian lands were initially invaded under the name of the King of England. There are plenty of counties along the East Coast named after Royalty.

Last edited by User Name; Jan 24th 2006 at 6:08 pm. Reason: added "initially"
Old Jan 24th 2006, 6:06 pm
Wind, earth, fire, water

Originally Posted by Elsie The Maid
I don't remember the Romans compensating the English or the Soviets compensating the Polish....blah, blah, blah. Like I said, this has been going on for centuries, it's still going on in other parts of the world. No one "nicely" takes over anyone elses land.
That's one of the points I am making ... at least we are compensated under this new U.S. Supreme Court ruling, so why do so many bleat on and on about this new ruling when in fact there is compensation given to those that lose their property under this ruling.
Old Jan 24th 2006, 6:09 pm
Thinking about it

errr errr ... the Indian lands were initially invaded under the name of the King of England. There are plenty of counties along the East Coast named after Royalty.
Though there were some conflicts with indians in those days didn't the europeans mostly live in relatively small settlements and trade with the 'locals'.
There was certainly no organised genocide on the scale perpatrated by the US government in the late 19th century.
Old Jan 24th 2006, 6:12 pm
Back where I belong!

That's one of the points I am making ... at least we are compensated under this new U.S. Supreme Court ruling, so why do so many bleat on and on about this new ruling when in fact there is compensation given to those that lose their property under this ruling.
Do you talk to a lot of sheep then?!?!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.