Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Land of the free?

Land of the free?

Old Aug 15th 2005, 12:35 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Land of the free?

Originally Posted by lionheart
Here in Southern California I am not allowed to take my dogs to the beach. I take them really early sometimes at 6 AM before the authorities are there. If caught I risk a ticket that is $150 or so??? One of the things I enjoyed on a recent visit to the UK was going to the beach with my BIL and his 2 dogs. You are also not allowed to smoke, go topless( females) and a list of many other things???????
Try Black's Beach in La Jolla near San Diego then. In the 30 years I've been visiting La Jolla it's been a nude beach, a gay nude beach, a mixed topless beach and everything in between!

Last time I was there it all seemed quite normal until I noticed that the couple just 20 feet down the beach had suddenly started a rather acrobatic sex session right in front of us (which was the whole point, I guess).

Dogs are allowed on the beach, as are horses and probably any other farm animal, although I imagine the police (who actually patrol the beach occasionally, mainly to stop people drinking from glass bottles or smoking dope) would draw the line at the animals being involved in the exhibitionist activities!
Old Aug 15th 2005, 12:40 am
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
Try Black's Beach in La Jolla near San Diego then. In the 30 years I've been visiting La Jolla it's been a nude beach, a gay nude beach, a mixed topless beach and everything in between!

Last time I was there it all seemed quite normal until I noticed that the couple just 20 feet down the beach had suddenly started a rather acrobatic sex session right in front of us (which was the whole point, I guess).

Dogs are allowed on the beach, as are horses and probably any other farm animal, although I imagine the police (who actually patrol the beach occasionally, mainly to stop people drinking from glass bottles or smoking dope) would draw the line at the animals being involved in the exhibitionist activities!

Appreciate your suggestion however that's a 100 mile drive to take my dogs to the beach. There is a closer designated 'dog beach' in Huntington Beach, which is about 40 miles from where I live. We go there a couple of times a year however usually I don't feel like an hour drive there and back. Seems kinda silly that I risk a major fine if I casually stroll to the beach which is 1/4 of a mile away with my dogs.
Old Aug 15th 2005, 1:17 am
Forum Regular

strim has a brilliant futurestrim has a brilliant futurestrim has a brilliant futurestrim has a brilliant futurestrim has a brilliant futurestrim has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by BlightyBoy
I realize I now miss the freedom of the coasts of Britain where beaches are not owned and you don't have to pay $10 to sit 3 inches from somebody else in the designated public section. I also miss not having Baywatch blowing the whistle for my every move! All this talk of freedom, I don't see it.
Is not quite the same sitting on a beach in England though. You need a good warm coat and an umbrella

....actually I agree with you. Drives me nuts having to pay and then get told I'm not allowed to play frisbee or wear a snorkel mask in the sea.
Old Aug 15th 2005, 1:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Here in Southern California I am not allowed to take my dogs to the beach. I take them really early sometimes at 6 AM before the authorities are there. If caught I risk a ticket that is $150 or so??? One of the things I enjoyed on a recent visit to the UK was going to the beach with my BIL and his 2 dogs. You are also not allowed to smoke, go topless( females) and a list of many other things???????
Fantastic, free, beach with life-guards here in Del Mar which is in San Diego. Dogs allowed. Some days the beach comes with dolphins too, like this morning when we were walking there and saw about 12 of them frolicking. There's also a specific beach for dogs just a little north...

.... dont know about the topless bit or the smoking here.....tho people were smoking on the beach this morning now that i think of it.

To the OP - really sorry to hear about the hassle!!! How depressing for you. Is the lake near your home? Can u get on any committee to change the rules?
Old Aug 15th 2005, 1:24 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

He informed me that if they had to do CPR on me the mask would be obstructing my nose!!!
Can't they just take the mask off? Is it nailed on?

Know what you mean about the roped off areas. Yesterday the Mrs and I went to Spring Lake on the Jersey shore for a dip in the sea. They have lifeguards stationed every 100 yards or so, but the areas marked out for plain swimming are tiny and few and far between - maybe the length of a tennis court each, every few hundred yards. So they have about 100 people splashing about in each swimming area while the next lifeguard along is watching four people attempting to surf in the marked out surfing zone five times as big. And one of the swimming areas was right up against a rock groyne - the lifeguard was constantly whistling at people who strayed towards the edge of the swimming area closest to the rocks. So why did they mark out this swimming area so close to the rock groyne if they are obviously worried about people being swept onto it? Not saying we had a crap day out - we didn't (although I don't enjoy paying $7 each to set foot on the beach), but I just think they could organize things a little better.
Old Aug 15th 2005, 1:44 am
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, I'm pissed off! I've just come back from the lake where I wanted to do some snorkel diving. When I got to the lake there was a tiny bit roped off for swimming with lifeguards watching over. I walked in the water with my diving mask and snorkel and was informed on the megaphone that masks were not allowed. Having had the same thing happen to me in the sea I went up to the lifeguard and asked him why. He informed me that if they had to do CPR on me the mask would be obstructing my nose!!! I told him that this was stupid, that I was an experienced diver etc. He said it was mainly for kids but they had to make a blanket rule, blah, blah... More likely they are worried about being sued or something! As I can't snorkel in the sea it seems like I can't do it anywhere in this part of America.

I realize I now miss the freedom of the coasts of Britain where beaches are not owned and you don't have to pay $10 to sit 3 inches from somebody else in the designated public section. I also miss not having Baywatch blowing the whistle for my every move! All this talk of freedom, I don't see it.

We have town beaches.....for locals only......$20 a year for the parking stickers.......not that many rules there.....nice beaches too..if you like that sort of thing........
Old Aug 15th 2005, 1:46 am
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Our dogs have their own lake and park walk......they can even use it topless...while having a smoke.......
Old Aug 15th 2005, 1:49 am
Re vera, potas bene.

Appreciate your suggestion however that's a 100 mile drive to take my dogs to the beach. There is a closer designated 'dog beach' in Huntington Beach, which is about 40 miles from where I live. We go there a couple of times a year however usually I don't feel like an hour drive there and back. Seems kinda silly that I risk a major fine if I casually stroll to the beach which is 1/4 of a mile away with my dogs.
Once the season is over.....the dogs here can go on any beach.....its also free parking on all beaches again.....dogs can't use the beaches from June 21st....till Sept 6th......but most towns have dog lakes.......
Old Aug 15th 2005, 1:52 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

My City has been designated a section of a city park for dogs and the section is further divided into subsections based on the size of the dog.

Apparently, this scheme has taken off so well that the City plans to designate another park in the City for the same purpose.

NC Penguin
Old Aug 15th 2005, 2:02 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, I'm pissed off! I've just come back from the lake where I wanted to do some snorkel diving. When I got to the lake there was a tiny bit roped off for swimming with lifeguards watching over. I walked in the water with my diving mask and snorkel and was informed on the megaphone that masks were not allowed. Having had the same thing happen to me in the sea I went up to the lifeguard and asked him why. He informed me that if they had to do CPR on me the mask would be obstructing my nose!!! I told him that this was stupid, that I was an experienced diver etc. He said it was mainly for kids but they had to make a blanket rule, blah, blah... More likely they are worried about being sued or something! As I can't snorkel in the sea it seems like I can't do it anywhere in this part of America.
Hell, it ain't like that in Tennersee.....go down the lake have 30 bud laights, go tubin' and have a good 'ole taime..... reaaal naice....
Old Aug 15th 2005, 3:35 am
ImHere

Originally Posted by Ray
Come to Florida .... we let you swim in the lakes ....no problem ..Ignore the stupid Gator signs.....
<Snort>

Hey you can swim in the sea with a mask on here too....dont worry bout all those shark attack stories on the news, they're just trying to scare tourists away to keep the beaches free for us residents.

Old Aug 15th 2005, 3:37 am
ImHere

Originally Posted by krizzy
Once the season is over.....the dogs here can go on any beach.....its also free parking on all beaches again.....dogs can't use the beaches from June 21st....till Sept 6th......but most towns have dog lakes.......
Season over? No thats not a term Im familiar with down here....

Old Aug 15th 2005, 3:44 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by krizzy
Our dogs have their own lake and park walk......they can even use it topless...while having a smoke.......
You have naked beagles?
Old Aug 15th 2005, 3:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
My City has been designated a section of a city park for dogs and the section is further divided into subsections based on the size of the dog.

Apparently, this scheme has taken off so well that the City plans to designate another park in the City for the same purpose.

NC Penguin

We have plenty of dog parks here too- or paw parks, to be precise. They're great Dogs aren't allowed on the beaches, although I think a few beaches allow them on in Winter,which is stoopid because Winter is the busy season
Old Aug 15th 2005, 4:28 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

You need to move to Oregon, BlightyBoy. All beaches are public property by law in OR. Of course, you'll also need your wetsuit to snorkel there.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.