Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Land of the free?

Land of the free?

Old Aug 14th 2005, 10:46 pm
Forum Regular

BlightyBoy is on a distinguished road
Default Land of the free?

Ok, I'm pissed off! I've just come back from the lake where I wanted to do some snorkel diving. When I got to the lake there was a tiny bit roped off for swimming with lifeguards watching over. I walked in the water with my diving mask and snorkel and was informed on the megaphone that masks were not allowed. Having had the same thing happen to me in the sea I went up to the lifeguard and asked him why. He informed me that if they had to do CPR on me the mask would be obstructing my nose!!! I told him that this was stupid, that I was an experienced diver etc. He said it was mainly for kids but they had to make a blanket rule, blah, blah... More likely they are worried about being sued or something! As I can't snorkel in the sea it seems like I can't do it anywhere in this part of America.

I realize I now miss the freedom of the coasts of Britain where beaches are not owned and you don't have to pay $10 to sit 3 inches from somebody else in the designated public section. I also miss not having Baywatch blowing the whistle for my every move! All this talk of freedom, I don't see it.
Old Aug 14th 2005, 11:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Land of the free?

Yes I bet you are bloody pissed off Now let's see if this thread take's off, because we do like a moan.
Old Aug 14th 2005, 11:16 pm

Neathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of light
Talking Re: Land of the free?

Originally Posted by BlightyBoy
Ok, I'm pissed off! I've just come back from the lake where I wanted to do some snorkel diving. When I got to the lake there was a tiny bit roped off for swimming with lifeguards watching over. I walked in the water with my diving mask and snorkel and was informed on the megaphone that masks were not allowed. Having had the same thing happen to me in the sea I went up to the lifeguard and asked him why. He informed me that if they had to do CPR on me the mask would be obstructing my nose!!! I told him that this was stupid, that I was an experienced diver etc. He said it was mainly for kids but they had to make a blanket rule, blah, blah... More likely they are worried about being sued or something! As I can't snorkel in the sea it seems like I can't do it anywhere in this part of America.

I realize I now miss the freedom of the coasts of Britain where beaches are not owned and you don't have to pay $10 to sit 3 inches from somebody else in the designated public section. I also miss not having Baywatch blowing the whistle for my every move! All this talk of freedom, I don't see it.
Just wondering where you live that you have to pay $$$ to sit on the beach. We have a beach up the road with free public access, lifeguards there during the summer season, and no ban on snorkeling (mind you, water's not always so clean, so probably not much to see ). I don't blame you for being annoyed though; the rule seems a bit extreme.
Old Aug 14th 2005, 11:17 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Come to Florida .... we let you swim in the lakes ....no problem ..Ignore the stupid Gator signs.....
Old Aug 14th 2005, 11:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Come to Florida .... we let you swim in the lakes ....no problem ..Ignore the stupid Gator signs.....
Ray= Florida's answer for "Tourist Guide For The Whingers" (smilies are for you Ray dear! )
Old Aug 14th 2005, 11:40 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Neathborn
Just wondering where you live that you have to pay $$$ to sit on the beach. .
Connecticut and also sometimes Rhode Island. The price varies, some places you are paying for the beach, some you just pay parking but I'm not going to be getting there any other way than by car here! The lake was $6 today. Maybe that was to pay bleedin Baywatch to treat me like a kid!
Old Aug 14th 2005, 11:43 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Connecticut and also sometimes Rhode Island. The price varies, some places you are paying for the beach, some you just pay parking but I'm not going to be getting there any other way than by car here! The lake was $6 today. Maybe that was to pay bleedin Baywatch to treat me like a kid!
You also pay $7 a visit to go the beach (Lake Michigan) in Evanston, Illinois, and the other suburbs north of here. They also have teenagers in orange swimsuits who keep you in 2 feet of water at all times.
Old Aug 14th 2005, 11:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

You should have offered him $20 more to look the other way.
Old Aug 14th 2005, 11:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
You also pay $7 a visit to go the beach (Lake Michigan) in Evanston, Illinois, and the other suburbs north of here. They also have teenagers in orange swimsuits who keep you in 2 feet of water at all times.

Yes, it was sad. Here was this great open lake with a little shallow area roped off. When I saw it I thought they were taking the piss!
Old Aug 14th 2005, 11:49 pm

Neathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of light

Blimey, makes me appreciate the free access to the beaches we have in Hampton Roads now.
Old Aug 14th 2005, 11:51 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it was sad. Here was this great open lake with a little shallow area roped off. When I saw it I thought they were taking the piss!
Of course people do drown in Lake Michigan - but usually because they take their little teeny tiny boats out without paying any attention to the weather service that says there's going to be a major storm, or because they get dead drunk and fall off, or, if they don't have boats, they get dead drunk on shore and try to dive in off the rocks instead of going in at the beach.

I, on the other hand, just swim - after six when the teenagers have gone home.
Old Aug 14th 2005, 11:52 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Here in Southern California I am not allowed to take my dogs to the beach. I take them really early sometimes at 6 AM before the authorities are there. If caught I risk a ticket that is $150 or so??? One of the things I enjoyed on a recent visit to the UK was going to the beach with my BIL and his 2 dogs. You are also not allowed to smoke, go topless( females) and a list of many other things???????
Old Aug 14th 2005, 11:52 pm

Blimey, makes me appreciate the free access to the beaches we have in Hampton Roads now.

Wonder what would happen if they tried to make people pay to swim in the Channel or the North Sea.
Old Aug 15th 2005, 12:10 am

Wonder what would happen if they tried to make people pay to swim in the Channel or the North Sea.
There'd probably be a riot
Old Aug 15th 2005, 12:22 am

There'd probably be a riot
I think they would be too helpless with laughter to actually riot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.