Reload this Page >

Lamp Shades!

Lamp Shades!

Old May 19th 2011, 5:39 pm
amm
Just Joined

amm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Lamp Shades!

This is a very strange question. but I am in the throws of starting a move from the UK to America and want to know if I can re-assure my daughter that we can bring her lamp shade from her bedroom. It is a standard UK light shade that attached to a ceiling fixing. Does anyone know if this will fit in America or if there are any fitting adaptors I can buy? I am pruely thinking of the shade so no electrics involved.
Thanks
Old May 19th 2011, 6:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Lamp Shades!

Does it go over a hanging light bulb? Don't quite know how else to describe it. If so you might have a bit of a problem. You may have to do some adapting as far as the ceiling fixture goes. I can't think of any houses I have been in that have a hanging light bulb fixture. I would reassure your daughter anyway as where there is a will there is a way!
Old May 19th 2011, 6:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

American houses (at least everywhere I have live in the northeast and midwest) don't have the same fittings for lampshades. In fact, they tend not to have any fittings at all for the ceiling type - all the ceiling pendents screw into the ceiling, there isn't the dangly wire type that you can unscrew to attach a lampshade to.

Completely confused me when I was trying to attach a lampshade, in the end I did a make-shift one using a bit of wire and a ceiling-blank. never seen anything like it in any stores.
Old May 19th 2011, 6:44 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Is it a light fixture or a shade? There is a difference. One is connected to the electrical source and the other just covers said fixture.

Originally Posted by amm
This is a very strange question. but I am in the throws of starting a move from the UK to America and want to know if I can re-assure my daughter that we can bring her lamp shade from her bedroom. It is a standard UK light shade that attached to a ceiling fixing. Does anyone know if this will fit in America or if there are any fitting adaptors I can buy? I am pruely thinking of the shade so no electrics involved.
Thanks
Old May 19th 2011, 6:46 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anian
American houses (at least everywhere I have live in the northeast and midwest) don't have the same fittings for lampshades. In fact, they tend not to have any fittings at all for the ceiling type - all the ceiling pendents screw into the ceiling, there isn't the dangly wire type that you can unscrew to attach a lampshade to.

Completely confused me when I was trying to attach a lampshade, in the end I did a make-shift one using a bit of wire and a ceiling-blank. never seen anything like it in any stores.

Hmmmm wonder what those fixtures in my ceiling are then? You can screw in a glass shade cover to hide the bulb and/or use a shade with the pronged wire clip that slips over the bulb itself. And, no, I don't live in a slum.
Old May 19th 2011, 7:22 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Hmmmm wonder what those fixtures in my ceiling are then? You can screw in a glass shade cover to hide the bulb and/or use a shade with the pronged wire clip that slips over the bulb itself. And, no, I don't live in a slum.
You mean the ones that my wife likes to call 'boob lamps' - a big frosted glass dome with a brass or painted metal protuberance in the centre? Whatever they are, they are superfluous - we've had 'em in every house we've lived in, including smaller versions without the 'nipple' in our current house.

To the OP - usually the only dangly type fixtures you will find are in living rooms or dining rooms where there is a raised or vaulted ceiling. Standard bedroom fare is the aforementioned 'boob lamp', sometimes with a ceiling fan above.

Now, you may have luck finding a desk lamp that it will fit on, if it is a shade that could be adapted to go on one of those, or else if you befriend an electrician he'll probably be able to knock up something that might work from the ceiling.
Old May 19th 2011, 7:44 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

You just need to meet some older homes.

OP needs to post a photo of this thing. Clearly we need to get to the bottom of this international mystery!
Old May 19th 2011, 8:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

This is what I was referring to:

Not seen them anywhere here, and there isn't even an equivalent available in any shops.
Old May 19th 2011, 8:48 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Ikea, Anian?
Old May 19th 2011, 8:49 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

This is what I was referring to:
http://www.homebase.co.uk/wcsstore/h...HBO111111X.jpg

Not seen them anywhere here, and there isn't even an equivalent available in any shops.
Totally different than what I was picturing in my mind. LOL

Rene
Old May 19th 2011, 10:07 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't it what is called a pendant light? Home Depot, Lowes's, online at places like this:

http://www.lightinguniverse.com/ceil...FUiK4AoduyrFRw
Old May 19th 2011, 10:08 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amm
Thanks
Just lie to her. She'll forgive you eventually.

Disclaimer: I am still quite new to this parenting thing.
Old May 20th 2011, 12:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I would be fascinated to see this lampshade.
Old May 22nd 2011, 2:56 pm
amm
Just Joined

amm is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks all. Think it might be a case of lets see and if not find a lovely alternative - the shade itself is not super special but she loves it! Anian the picture you posted is just what we have at home here so guess not seen in the US?
Old May 22nd 2011, 6:29 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amm
Thanks all. Think it might be a case of lets see and if not find a lovely alternative - the shade itself is not super special but she loves it! Anian the picture you posted is just what we have at home here so guess not seen in the US?
Nope, not really...most drop pendant lights, you clip the shade to the light bulb itself rather than screwing it into the socket...though there is always a way, just hack it apart a bit and cup in a clip.