British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Lakewood Ranch, FL (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/lakewood-ranch-fl-670231/)

SuperOwls May 29th 2010 2:58 pm

Lakewood Ranch, FL

Hi all,

First time poster. My current employers are in the process of getting my L1-A visa for my move to our Sarasota offices. My wife and I have visited the area and were very impressed with Lakewood Ranch and the schools.

Any UK residents or other expatriates live there? Any comments, advice when moving.

My expected move date is August 1st

goldenstate31 May 29th 2010 3:02 pm

Re: Lakewood Ranch, FL

hi there:)
you can go onto city data forum there will be tons of floridians there!

SuperOwls May 29th 2010 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by goldenstate31 (Post 8598116)
hi there:)
you can go onto city data forum there will be tons of floridians there!

Great suggestion, thank you. As you said, tons of stuff on there

Dan725 Jun 1st 2010 5:02 pm

You might also do a search on this forum...I think Lakewood Ranch came up a couple of months ago. Nice, but a bit Stepford like was the general consensus I believe.

goldenstate31 Jun 1st 2010 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by Dan725 (Post 8604145)
think Lakewood Ranch came up a couple of months ago. Nice, but a bit Stepford like was the general consensus I believe.

yes but then not as Stepford as Celebration! but Celebration is absolutely fantastic:thumbup: IMHO of course!

im9907620 Jun 4th 2010 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by SuperOwls (Post 8598110)
Hi all,

First time poster. My current employers are in the process of getting my L1-A visa for my move to our Sarasota offices. My wife and I have visited the area and were very impressed with Lakewood Ranch and the schools.

Any UK residents or other expatriates live there? Any comments, advice when moving.

We have a property 'next door' just 5-10 mins away and we think its a nice modern community when we have passed through. I wouldn't say Stepford as such but it is all pretty well self-maintained. Good access for all roads and school, leisure, cinema and restaurants on tap. LWR school has been in the news for drug problems but you get that in the UK when you least expect it. Have an open mind. Good luck with the business.

Nicky0708 Jun 5th 2010 10:41 pm

We were in Sarasota in April and we viewed a view properties on Lakewood Ranch. Its a lovely area and is very well maintained, but we ruled it out simply because we felt it was very Stepford Wifes! They close the main street off I think its the last Friday of every month to have a parade for the kids, which sounds great. When we drove through the town centre it was like a ghost town with nothing but earry music playing in the background. But the houses we viewed were lovely. The schools looked great and I think the one that has the best name is Willis. We just felt that we would be happier being closer to the center of Sarasota and esp the beaches. Good luck :)

Andy GCPC Jun 8th 2010 5:36 pm

Hi

I'm an ex-pat living in LWR.

Like everywhere there are pro's and cons but all in all I am very happy here.

Please feel free to drop me a line when you make it into town and I will do my best to point you in the right direction.

Cheers

Andy

VivDee Jun 26th 2010 9:31 pm

Lakewood Ranch often gets a bashing but usually from people who can't afford to live there.

Jerseygirl Jun 26th 2010 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by VivDee (Post 8659356)
Lakewood Ranch often gets a bashing but usually from people who can't afford to live there.

I take it it's one of those oh so very familiar in Florida Stepford Wives communities.

VivDee Jun 26th 2010 9:47 pm

ROFL!

meauxna Jun 26th 2010 10:15 pm

meow! :lol:
Are you having a hard time finding current threads to participate in positively?

http://britishexpats.com/site-rules/
1. BritishExpats.com is an interactive site, and everyone who participates is "in it together", please treat others the way you wish to be treated.
...do so respectfully and thoughtfully ... without insult or personal attack.

fatbrit Jun 26th 2010 11:09 pm

Never heard of the place. Sorry!

Jerseygirl Jun 26th 2010 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by VivDee (Post 8659389)
ROFL!

You assume too much.

VivDee Jun 27th 2010 9:36 pm

I would delete this,if not thought appropriate but I don't see a delete button..