Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Lack of outdoor clothes in Texas

Lack of outdoor clothes in Texas

Old Mar 19th 2007, 2:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Texas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Lack of outdoor clothes in Texas

Why is it whenever I go out, whether it be early in the morning, mid afternoon or early evening, whatever time of the day but predominantly on weekends, there seems to be certain people who choose to go out in public with their night clothing on????

These people can be toddlers (more often than not), pre-teens, teenagers - even 40 year old ladies.

A favourite seems to be slippers no matter where, no matter the weather.

Have they got no real (day) clothes to wear????
Is this just a North Texas thing? Or is it acceptable across the USA?
Old Mar 19th 2007, 3:08 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lack of outdoor clothes in Texas

up in maine, you see people puttering around to the local grocery store in pj's or slippers....and if you ever go to a drive in, families often have the young kids dressed for bed so they can sleep after the first movie...but that's about the only time it makes sense
Old Mar 19th 2007, 3:43 am
Just Joined

Macieo will become famous soon enough

OMG people in FL do this all the time they go all over the place in PJ's it is strange it started about 2 or 3 years ago in FL. I asked my babysitter for my daughter about this and she told me most of the girls go to classes in slippers and PJ's. I know some mothers that drop off the kids in them. I will admit that I do wear yoga pants and workout clothes out but I think your PJ's and slippers is just going to far.

Last edited by Macieo; Mar 19th 2007 at 3:49 am.
Old Mar 19th 2007, 1:18 pm
Pom tiddly pom

ali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Texas Mom View Post
Why is it whenever I go out, whether it be early in the morning, mid afternoon or early evening, whatever time of the day but predominantly on weekends, there seems to be certain people who choose to go out in public with their night clothing on????

These people can be toddlers (more often than not), pre-teens, teenagers - even 40 year old ladies.

I live in North Texas, and I cycle with my kids to see them over the street they have to cross on their way to school ... in my slippers!

I'm British, BTW :-))

In Yorkshire, it was common to go t'corner shop in your slippers. The old folks often didn't bother to put their teeth in, either.
Old Mar 19th 2007, 1:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ali_j View Post
I live in North Texas, and I cycle with my kids to see them over the street they have to cross on their way to school ... in my slippers!

I'm British, BTW :-))

In Yorkshire, it was common to go t'corner shop in your slippers. The old folks often didn't bother to put their teeth in, either.
I don't think my mother ever took her curlers out!
Old Mar 19th 2007, 2:24 pm
Forum Regular

britoutofwater is a name known to allbritoutofwater is a name known to allbritoutofwater is a name known to allbritoutofwater is a name known to allbritoutofwater is a name known to allbritoutofwater is a name known to allbritoutofwater is a name known to allbritoutofwater is a name known to allbritoutofwater is a name known to allbritoutofwater is a name known to allbritoutofwater is a name known to all

No, it's not just a Texas thing, I've noticed it in Oklahoma too. Particularly amongst frat and sorority types. I first noticed it during finals week and they seem to have just continued into the new semester.

Now I'm noticing it everywhere, flannel pyjama bottoms appear to be a favourite. Very odd.
Old Mar 19th 2007, 2:29 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

The only time I've seen it this side of FLoridy is at the healthfood store the other day when an old lady came in but she was wearing a house coat.
Old Mar 19th 2007, 2:38 pm
Just Joined

Macieo will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by TouristTrap View Post
The only time I've seen it this side of FLoridy is at the healthfood store the other day when an old lady came in but she was wearing a house coat.
Come to Gainesville it is the uniform for the college kids. It does not matter what time it is they will be wearing night clothes.
Old Mar 19th 2007, 3:25 pm
Forum Regular

robb-46 is just really nicerobb-46 is just really nicerobb-46 is just really nicerobb-46 is just really nicerobb-46 is just really nicerobb-46 is just really nicerobb-46 is just really nicerobb-46 is just really nice

I guess it all depends on where you live, in Maryland you don't see it very often, where I grew up the kids in high did it sometimes.
Old Mar 19th 2007, 4:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

gsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond repute

Don't see much of it in Tucson. At the university the uniform is flipflops for everyone, with basketball shorts for the guys and very short hotpants for the girls... No pyjamas anywhere...
Old Mar 19th 2007, 5:19 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

I wore pyjama bottoms, crocs and a fleece top the other day to check on a tenant. since I moved here my clothes expenditure has gone down tremendously

shoes especially, since I 95% from home, my old shoes from england should last indefinitely - only really coming out for weddings and funerals...
Old Mar 19th 2007, 5:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Texas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond repute

I have to admit that when I lived at home with my parents many moons ago my mum had a job working back shift and I used to pick her up whilst wearing my PJ's. I know I could have been in an accident or anything.

I am still in PJ's just now and have just sent hubby out to collect the wheelie bins in as I wouldn't even run to the end of the drive in PJ's to get them.

Last night we went by the super market and a family of five came out as we were passing all but two in PJ's. I can understand kids in PJ's in the evening for convenience but Mom had her fluffy mule slippers on and totally outrageous flannel PJ bottoms.

I'm not a clothes snob by any means and since moving here my standards have gone down hill, only to the joggies and a t-shirt stage though.
I'm always getting comments for having smart cropped trousers with a nice top and some lippy, saying wow you dressed up just to come to the park to which I say no this is just normal every day practical comfortable clothes.

I think I just need more time to get used to the idea that anything goes around here. Who knows as I get into the third trimester of my pregnancy maybe I won't bother to get dressed and run to the store in my nightie!!!
I hope nobody reading this lives in the immediate vicinity of Fort Worth because that will be a sight to behold and not necessarily a good one.
Old Mar 19th 2007, 6:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

its the pink slippers that do me. Or it being minus 10 outside and flip flops!!

Joggers seem to be in and as long as the pjs are cheaper than abercrombies jeans i guess we will go with the flow as far as the bitches from hell are concerned.

girl last week came here, freezing her ass off in a skirt that barely covered her ass and a tshirt and the ever handy flip flops. My mother would turn in her grave.

Same as these tangas, they have to be showing above the jeans. They must be so far up the crack of their asses u would need an operation to get them out.

If i got to take the kids to some school thing where they need dropping off at 6 in the morning then i admit i go in pjs too, but last time got stopped for speeding which was embarresing as hell so wont be doing that again in a hurry. Piggy pants and slippers and hair look like a scarecrow. And a german driving licence. Oh went down a treat. No ticket tho. I must have made his day.
Old Mar 19th 2007, 6:22 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

I have to admit that when I lived at home with my parents many moons ago my mum had a job working back shift and I used to pick her up whilst wearing my PJ's. I know I could have been in an accident or anything.

I am still in PJ's just now and have just sent hubby out to collect the wheelie bins in as I wouldn't even run to the end of the drive in PJ's to get them.

Last night we went by the super market and a family of five came out as we were passing all but two in PJ's. I can understand kids in PJ's in the evening for convenience but Mom had her fluffy mule slippers on and totally outrageous flannel PJ bottoms.

I'm not a clothes snob by any means and since moving here my standards have gone down hill, only to the joggies and a t-shirt stage though.
I'm always getting comments for having smart cropped trousers with a nice top and some lippy, saying wow you dressed up just to come to the park to which I say no this is just normal every day practical comfortable clothes.

I think I just need more time to get used to the idea that anything goes around here. Who knows as I get into the third trimester of my pregnancy maybe I won't bother to get dressed and run to the store in my nightie!!!
I hope nobody reading this lives in the immediate vicinity of Fort Worth because that will be a sight to behold and not necessarily a good one.
I just find it so unsanitary. Getting into bed after wearing your PJ's out? Yuck.
Old Mar 19th 2007, 7:38 pm
thanks for all the fish !

Richardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud of

I used to get freaked out by this as when we lived in Hammersmith by the hospital you'd see lot's of people in their bed clothes in the corner shop, betting shop, pub etc, so I thought when I saw it in USA it was the same thing but then realised that it was everywhere and anyone.

Me and OH had a big discussion about this before. Don't think it's a Texan thing but it's a US thing for sure. People are more relaxed about letting others do what they like in the US I think. Us brits are very quick to judge people.

I'm used to this now, but still won't go out the house without "outdoor" clothes on... plus I can't shake the whole "Day of the Triffids" connotation !

R./

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.