Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

LA married in a day service!

LA married in a day service!

Old Jan 18th 2018, 3:44 pm
Forum Regular

theroon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: LA married in a day service!

Originally Posted by 212
As above, a Confidential license is what you need.
For Los Angeles, and from personal experience, I can highly recommend Chris : www.officiantguy.com - no affiliation, just a happy prior customer, as are many celebrities.

It can be done anywhere in Los Angeles county, and yes the license once signed and notarized by him becomes the certificate of marriage.
You keep a copy, he files one for you, and you get another (county stamped) version of the same document in the mail a couple of weeks later, which he will forward it to you in the Uk via FedEx, but in the meantime you still have the original as proof. You (and only you, remember it is confidential) can request further copies at a later date if required.

No visits to court/city hall/wherever, no waiting around. A couple of emails with some details, you turn up wherever you like, say what you want, no witnesses required, sign, and done. He is also incredibly good value and a nice guy too, and will work on short notice (ie, same day) if you need to.

And yes, again, from personal experience (CR-1) it is acceptable for US immigration purposes.
Thanks! I've just written to him. I'm just worried about ensuring I get the certified copy delivered securely to London.
Old Jan 18th 2018, 5:11 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by theroon
Thanks! I've just written to him. I'm just worried about ensuring I get the certified copy delivered securely to London.

We obtained our marriage license from city hall, had our wedding the following week, the stamped and signed license was hand delivered to city hall where the license was obtained by my daughter, along with a self addreseds prepaid priority mail envelope. The registered certified copy was in our mailbox upon return our 5 day honeymoon.

If you are that anxious to start the I-130 process in London, send the copy you get after the ceremony and bring the registered certified copy to the interview. Remember the copy he gives you, even though he notarizes it (which means nothing btw) is not the official certificate. The certificate received from the county/state will show the filing marks and this is what is required.
Old Jan 18th 2018, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

theroon is an unknown quantity at this point

The service has just said we have to provide a prepaid envelope..33USD.
Does this sound about right?
Also, we take the marriage cert and the service goes to county hall to register it?
Thanks
Old Jan 18th 2018, 6:25 pm
Forum Regular

212 has a reputation beyond repute212 has a reputation beyond repute212 has a reputation beyond repute212 has a reputation beyond repute212 has a reputation beyond repute212 has a reputation beyond repute212 has a reputation beyond repute212 has a reputation beyond repute212 has a reputation beyond repute212 has a reputation beyond repute212 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by theroon
The service has just said we have to provide a prepaid envelope..33USD.
Does this sound about right?
Also, we take the marriage cert and the service goes to county hall to register it?
Thanks
Yes - they take their copy and have to file it within 10 days, and at that time they request a copy of the filed version, which is not automatically issued.
When that arrives to them, they will forward it to you in the prepaid that you provide. It is just a scanned copy of the hand signed version, slightly smaller, on fancy paper, and with a date stamp, and a seal.
You keep the original hand signed version(stamped customer copy) which is your original certificate.

Originally Posted by Rete
Remember the copy he gives you, even though he notarizes it (which means nothing btw)is not the official certificate.
Wrong.
This is a confidential license - specific to California - and the license IS the certificate once completed. It is not the same as a normal license or certificate. I have mine here as it happens:

It is hand filled, signed and the 'customer copy' becomes the certificate.
Another copy is retained by them, and that copy is required to be submitted (by mail or in person) to the registrar by the notarized person who issued the confidential license and performed the ceremony, but the parties are not automatically notified that the license is registered and no copy is sent. However, a stamped copy of the filed version is available if requested (as is sensible), which is just a scan of it, with a date stamp.

You can argue black is white all you want, but as I appear to be the one person on this thread who has actually done this, I may be - despite your ridiculously high post count- someone who knows a little more about this than you. Sorry about that.

Last edited by 212; Jan 18th 2018 at 6:38 pm. Reason: typo