Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

LA commute times

LA commute times

Old Aug 28th 2012, 6:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute
Default LA commute times

Wifey is looking at a position in Glendale, right beside the junction of 134 and 2. I know the 134 tends to get snarled up towards the west of there almost any time of day, but are there other directions which are bad for a 7am/7pm commute (both directions at both times of day as it's 12 hour shifts including nights)? Probably looking at areas to rent around half an hour commuting time away max. Thanks.
Old Aug 28th 2012, 6:26 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LA commute times

Originally Posted by GeoffM View Post
Wifey is looking at a position in Glendale, right beside the junction of 134 and 2. I know the 134 tends to get snarled up towards the west of there almost any time of day, but are there other directions which are bad for a 7am/7pm commute (both directions at both times of day as it's 12 hour shifts including nights)? Probably looking at areas to rent around half an hour commuting time away max. Thanks.
Glendale certainly isn't the worst area to commute to. I'd look at renting in Silver Lake, Echo Park, Toluca Lake, or Pasadena. Commute shouldn't be over 30 minutes from any of those areas, probably less at that time of day.
Old Aug 28th 2012, 6:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky View Post
Glendale certainly isn't the worst area to commute to. I'd look at renting in Silver Lake, Echo Park, Toluca Lake, or Pasadena. Commute shouldn't be over 30 minutes from any of those areas, probably less at that time of day.
Thanks - I had a feeling that the 210 wasn't too bad but wasn't sure further west.

Toluca Lake though? We always seem to get in jams when heading past there - admittedly more beyond, like 101/405 area, but thought we've left Universal more than once before and immediately got stuck.
Old Aug 28th 2012, 6:58 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks - I had a feeling that the 210 wasn't too bad but wasn't sure further west.

Toluca Lake though? We always seem to get in jams when heading past there - admittedly more beyond, like 101/405 area, but thought we've left Universal more than once before and immediately got stuck.
You can get straight on the 134 from Toluca Lake, avoiding the snarl of trying to get off the 101 onto it. It's clear then. The traffic further out is terrible, for that reason I didn't suggest Studio City.
Old Aug 28th 2012, 7:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ah ok. It would be convenient living near Universal Studios! :-)

Now the question is which of those areas we can afford without living in a skanky neighborhood, if such a combination exists!

Thanks.
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 5:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Now her friends want her to work at a hospital in Loma Linda / San Bernadino. However, we've been down there a few times and it looks really run down. Not ghetto but just poor - Victorville looks positively wealthy in comparison! Plus, it doesn't really help in being any closer to relatives.
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 6:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Now her friends want her to work at a hospital in Loma Linda / San Bernadino. However, we've been down there a few times and it looks really run down. Not ghetto but just poor - Victorville looks positively wealthy in comparison! Plus, it doesn't really help in being any closer to relatives.
Loma Linda is a good hospital and just like anywhere else, there are good areas and bad.
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 6:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by AmerLisa View Post
Loma Linda is a good hospital
That's good to hear independently -thanks.

Originally Posted by AmerLisa View Post
and just like anywhere else, there are good areas and bad.
I don't know if you've ever been to that area but we're talking vast swathes of run-downness, not just a neighborhood here and there! I know there are some nicer areas further west on I-210 so maybe a commute would be required - hopefully not too bad.

We're still considering the areas mentioned previously; this is just another to add to the list.

After over a year of waiting finally her papers have been produced in the Philippines allowing her to apply for NCLEX and California BON . As it'll still take a couple of weeks to arrive in the US, and whatever processing time CBON and NCLEX take, realistically it'll be 2013 before she starts working again.
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 7:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

That's good to hear independently -thanks.

I don't know if you've ever been to that area but we're talking vast swathes of run-downness, not just a neighborhood here and there! I know there are some nicer areas further west on I-210 so maybe a commute would be required - hopefully not too bad.

We're still considering the areas mentioned previously; this is just another to add to the list.

After over a year of waiting finally her papers have been produced in the Philippines allowing her to apply for NCLEX and California BON . As it'll still take a couple of weeks to arrive in the US, and whatever processing time CBON and NCLEX take, realistically it'll be 2013 before she starts working again.
Actually I've been to and around that hospital a few more times than I'd like. But there are some nice surrounding areas. I used to live in Corona and even that's changed drastically, but a very nice area to live in, just for starters and not that horrible of a commute.