British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   L2s Social Security Number delay (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/l2s-social-security-number-delay-944281/)

Itwillrain Jun 7th 2022 5:15 pm

L2s Social Security Number delay

Hello ..how long does it take now to get a SSN for L2S (spouse of L1)? Google search says 2-3 weeks. In our case, we have been waiting for more than 7 weeks now We have called SSN office few times, we are told that the case is with immigration and they are waiting.

Wanted to check with others if you have experienced such delays for receiving SSN for L2S?

Thank you so much

hannahjane86 Jun 12th 2022 3:27 pm

Re: L2s Social Security Number delay

[QUOTE=Itwillrain;13120511]Hello ..how long does it take now to get a SSN for L2S (spouse of L1)? Google search says 2-3 weeks. In our case, we have been waiting for more than 7 weeks now We have called SSN office few times, we are told that the case is with immigration and they are waiting.

Wanted to check with others if you have experienced such delays for receiving SSN for L2S?

We received our SSNs very quickly after the appointment ( if I recall correctly within a week). The actual appointment took quite a few weeks to book due to Covid delays. This was last September.

they do background checks Etc once you have attended the appointment so there might be a delay there??

it might depend on which state you are in.

Do you have a lawyer overseeing the process that can chase on your behalf?

hope that helps.

Rete Jun 12th 2022 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by Itwillrain (Post 13120511)
Hello ..how long does it take now to get a SSN for L2S (spouse of L1)? Google search says 2-3 weeks. In our case, we have been waiting for more than 7 weeks now We have called SSN office few times, we are told that the case is with immigration and they are waiting.

Thank you so much

It is not unusual. SSA is awaiting verification of her legal status from USCIS. It can take weeks,

S Folinsky Jun 12th 2022 5:15 pm

General reminder - it is not uncommon for “applied for” to be used in lieu of the SSN when the number is requested.

petitefrancaise Jun 14th 2022 2:37 am

L2S SSN applications have been a nightmare since January. Most of my clients were waiting 10-12 weeks since the applications required "manual" verification through the SAVE database. The staff at the SSA have told me that this is due to the L2S visa holders no longer needing an EAD to work and that the SSA system hasn't been changed to cope with this.
However, as of last week, they are now processing properly and the backlog is being cleared. All my clients that were waiting have received their cards in the last few days.
I would think that yours should arrive shortly and if it isn't with you by the end of the week, I'd get on to the SSA again.

Itwillrain Jun 14th 2022 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise (Post 13121712)
L2S SSN applications have been a nightmare since January. Most of my clients were waiting 10-12 weeks since the applications required "manual" verification through the SAVE database. The staff at the SSA have told me that this is due to the L2S visa holders no longer needing an EAD to work and that the SSA system hasn't been changed to cope with this.
However, as of last week, they are now processing properly and the backlog is being cleared. All my clients that were waiting have received their cards in the last few days.
I would think that yours should arrive shortly and if it isn't with you by the end of the week, I'd get on to the SSA again.

Hello ..thanks for that info. One question - in the last sentence you have mentioned that. 'I'd get to them again'. What does that mean? Does it mean to reapply ? Is that allowed?

petitefrancaise Jun 14th 2022 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by Itwillrain (Post 13121810)
Hello ..thanks for that info. One question - in the last sentence you have mentioned that. 'I'd get to them again'. What does that mean? Does it mean to reapply ? Is that allowed?

typo- was meant to be "I'd get back to them again"
no, you can't reapply. Just phone your local office and ask why your's hasn't been processed when you understand the problem has been resolved

newacct Jun 14th 2022 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise (Post 13121712)
The staff at the SSA have told me that this is due to the L2S visa holders no longer needing an EAD to work and that the SSA system hasn't been changed to cope with this.

L2 spouses have not needed an EAD to get an SSN for more than a decade. Here is an archived page from 2006 showing that L-2 spouses without EADs only need their L-2 I-94 and a marriage certificate to the L-1 to get an SSN. I see that it now has a note about L-2S, which I think no longer requires a marriage certificate. But it is really silly if L-2S is slower to get an SSN than before with just L-2 and a marriage certificate.

In any case, as mentioned, you can start working before receiving the actual SSN.

petitefrancaise Jul 7th 2022 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by newacct (Post 13121899)
L2 spouses have not needed an EAD to get an SSN for more than a decade. Here is an archived page from 2006 showing that L-2 spouses without EADs only need their L-2 I-94 and a marriage certificate to the L-1 to get an SSN. I see that it now has a note about L-2S, which I think no longer requires a marriage certificate. But it is really silly if L-2S is slower to get an SSN than before with just L-2 and a marriage certificate.

In any case, as mentioned, you can start working before receiving the actual SSN.

Just been in the SSA office with an L2S client and you most definitely DO still need the marriage certificate.