Reload this Page >

L2 Visa & L2 Status

L2 Visa & L2 Status

Old Jan 1st 2003, 11:36 am
Maltesers, Flake, Mars

kazzuk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default L2 Visa & L2 Status

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

We are moving over in April 03 on L1 & L2 visa's. We are taking a short trip over beg of March. When we enter the US in March, will this kick start the L status? Therefore, will my spouse be able to file for his EAD on our first trip, even though it will only be for about 7 - 10 days and then we will be returning to the UK until we move over in April?

Also, when an extension for an L1 visa is filed (new company), what paperwork is required, does this process usually run smoothly? Any feedback on your experiences greatly appreciated.
Old Jan 3rd 2003, 2:35 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation

When we moved over to the US on l1/L2 visas my husband was going to take a couple of days annual leave before beginning his new job, so he could arrange for a Social Security number, arrange for a new cheque book (we were given temporary bank cheques until our cheque book could be printed), find somewhere to live etc. I wasn't actually going to move to the US for another three months as our children were completing their academic year at school (we were living in Singapore at the time).

We were flying off to the US on the Monday morning. On the Thursday evening beforehand, the company's immigration attorney phoned us up in a panic and explained that the dates were wrong on our visa application (our passports were still on a desk at the US Embassy, and we had already had our interviews).

Apparently you can't enter the US for a "holiday" and then having the L1/L2 visas kicking in a few days/weeks later and we would have been refused entry into the US. The attorney was going to FedEx the petition again for us to submit to the US Embassy in Singapore with the correct date (ie. the job would now be amended to start with the date we actually were to arrive in the US, instead of a couple of days later).

The FedEx package didn't arrive the next day, and my husband informed the Embassy of our predicament. One of the consular officials there was really helpful, and in the end he phoned my husband at work; he had decided just to TipEx the original petition so our visas would have the correct date. He actually worked longer than his normal office hours and we were able to go down to the Embassy during the hours they were normally closed to the public, late Friday afternoon, to collect our passports with our new visas.

So, be very careful about your timing. Either have the L1/L2 visas dated for the time you actually arrive in the US on your first visit so the job "begins" on the date you arrive, or you will have to go in on the visa waiver just for a short visit - but *don't* let the Immigration Officer know that you are moving over soon after - he may think that you won't leave the US and overstay on a visa waiver, so could refuse you entry. Unfortunately, having a visa waiver only will mean that your spouse can't apply for a Social Security number (he needs to show his L1 visa in his passport at a Social Security office; we found one close to the United Nations HQ in Manhatten). The good thing about L1 & L2 visas is that you are free to come and go from the US as frequently as you wish, unlike many other types of visa.

I wouldn't worry too much about an extension for the L1 yet! They are valid for three years in the first instance....see if you like living in the US first before looking too far ahead!
Old Jan 3rd 2003, 4:14 pm
Maltesers, Flake, Mars

Our visas are valid from Aug 02 to Aug 03 - new company, INS will only issue visas for 1 year initially. What experiences have you had at the airport? Our visa will have been valid for around 8 months when we enter the US. The I797A did not get issued until December 02 so we were unable to move over before.
Old Jan 3rd 2003, 6:41 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up

No worries - your visas are current so you will have no problem at all entering the US. They just note the expiry date of the visa on the white I-94 form - part of which will be detached and stapled to your passport and removed by the airline each time you depart the US. Which airport will you be arriving at?

Strongly suggest that the Social Security office is your first port of call when you arrive so your husband can be quickly issued with a number - it's essential to have an SS number to get by in the States (even your medical insurers will want the no! Also needed to get a driving licence, Banks, DNV (driving licence) offices also need it, plus anywhere you apply for credit/loans etc.
Old Jan 3rd 2003, 7:55 pm
Maltesers, Flake, Mars

We will be coming into Orlando airport and driving to Sarasota.
Old Jan 3rd 2003, 10:43 pm

Lightbulb

Top Tip:

Get your employer to provide you with a mobile phone (called cellphones in the US) as soon as you arrive.

You would not believe how hard it is to get one if you don't have a credit reference!!! Pay-as-you-go phones are not as popular here and costs are high.

They are way behind the UK with technology; when I was there at Christmas there were constant TV adverts (with David Beckham) for the new mobiles with screens for instant photos. They're not advertised here at all and although I do believe they exist here, I've never seen any.