Reload this Page >

L2 visa - college/university

L2 visa - college/university

Old Aug 10th 2014, 2:15 pm
Just Joined

cannondaletroy11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default L2 visa - college/university

Hi british expats,

I'm new to the forum. My wife, daughter and I have been living is US for 11 months now on L1A/L2 visas.
My daughter is 17 and has just started her senior year. Next year... She will want to start college/university. She will have all of the necessary grades to graduate from her US high school. Does anyone have any experience for their child starting high level education on an L2 visa? We've made some initial inquiries... but as it's "not normal" it's not easy to get answers.
Will she be treated as a normal US student?
Or will she have to be an international student? (I think like a normal US student, right?)
Is she eligible to get a scholorship?
Would she be able to get a student loan?
Is there anyway that she could get some kind of part time job (this really is the most frustrating part of the L2 visa system. I can work. My wife can work. But my daughter cannot!!!)
Is there any benefit is trying to switch her to a student visa?

We're at the point of thinking about the green card system which would clarify a lot of the above questions. But... That relies on my company putting me through that process. And if I look at it from their point of view... why would they want to do that now when they already have me (and will have me for another 6 years). Their risk is that I get the green card and then immediately look for another job...

I'd appreciate if you could let me know your experiences...

Thanks

Brian
Old Aug 10th 2014, 2:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: L2 visa - college/university

Hi

I don't know if there is one answer for the whole country but my son's university definitely wanted his green card details.

For federal student aid you need to be a green card holder also or fall into some other narrow categories

https://studentaid.ed.gov/eligibility/non-us-citizens

You could ask your company about sponsoring you for a green card as this seems a legitimate reason, however it can take some time.
Old Aug 10th 2014, 2:41 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Will she be treated as a normal US student?

There is no national norm.

Or will she have to be an international student? (I think like a normal US student, right?)

If you mean a F1 Holder, no.

Is she eligible to get a scholorship?

That would depend on who is handing them out and their rules.

Would she be able to get a student loan?

Yet again that depends on who is handing them out and their rules.

Is there anyway that she could get some kind of part time job (this really is the most frustrating part of the L2 visa system. I can work. My wife can work. But my daughter cannot!!!)

You ask and answered your question

Is there any benefit is trying to switch her to a student visa?

Limited work opportunities, maybe. After 21 she would need one.

We're at the point of thinking about the green card system which would clarify a lot of the above questions. But... That relies on my company putting me through that process. And if I look at it from their point of view... why would they want to do that now when they already have me (and will have me for another 6 years). Their risk is that I get the green card and then immediately look for another job...

Usually included as an item for discussion before you make the move, especially with a child who will age out.

As an aside would she be better off going to Uni in the UK?
Old Aug 10th 2014, 3:23 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brianscottesp
My wife, daughter and I have been living is US for 11 months now on L1A/L2 visas.
With respect, since you are already in the US, this really isn't an immigration issue. Perhaps a moderator can move this to the general USA forum.

Ian
Old Aug 10th 2014, 4:59 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brianscottesp
Why was this not discussed before you took up the assignment? Especially if it was intended to be a permanent move.

It is normally straightforward for most L-1A holders to switch to a green card through employee first preference. You have two strong reasons, 1. college issues for your daughter (including her right to work, whether in-state tuition access is affected, as it probably will be, depending on state, etc.), and 2. if you leave it too late, your daughter may age out and have to go back to the U.K. anyway. (there's also 3. the possibility that any immigration reform could remove the relatively easy path to a green card for those transferred intra-company as managers).

So it's likely time for a discussion with your employer on that subject.

And you need to do some serious reflection as to what is your plan if they say no to sponsorship for a green card. Are you really intending to stay another 6 years anyway? Or would your intention be to leave the U.S. entity and return to your home company in the U.K. as soon as possible. Presumably, your contract has repatriation provisions - or does it?

Last edited by JAJ; Aug 10th 2014 at 5:01 pm.
Old Aug 10th 2014, 6:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

notonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond repute

Having started the college searches earlier this year I'd suggest you talk directly to the colleges your daughter is interested in.

We have now visited over 20 colleges and as green card holders don't have the same issues as yourselves. However you will find most private colleges have a "huge chunk of change" $$$ to distribute however they deem appropriate. This isn't the case for state colleges.

Some of the private colleges we have spoken to directly seem to like the fact my daughter is not a US citizen and have openly encouraged her to apply, one asking her to highlight on her application that she is a British citizen. This college has also sent her numerous emails asking her if she is still applying and she has a direct contact to the admissions office. One college went as far as to say she falls into a small unique group of kids who will add to their quota of international students even though she is resident in the US.

This may all be a crock of shyte, I guess we will see in the next 9 months when she starts to get her acceptance and denial letters.
Old Aug 10th 2014, 10:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute

I can only base my answers on our experience as you don't state where you are situated in the USA and as with everything in the USA, which state you reside it will determines the answers.
In Texas, she would be classed as an international student but pay fees as a resident as she has resided in the state for more than a year.
Apply for your green card as soon as possible. Once your application is received she will receive a EAD. As a L1A holder, getting a green card will relatively quick. No point in the FI visa.
Some universities will give scholarships - as my daughter went to a State school she didn't get any but friends of ours who had kids on the same visa went to private schools had several scholarships available to them. Obviously it depends on her grade average at High school.
For costs, consider a community college for 2 yrs and then transfer to a instate university. Far cheaper and most of the first 2 yrs of a US degree is spent doing core credits which are just as well done at a community college. (wish we had done than, would have saved us thousands!)
Old Aug 12th 2014, 3:54 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

also remember that they can only have you for 6 more years if they pay for the 2 subsequent renewal processes. getting a green card applied for now would prevent both those renewal fees. so you would pay once instead of twice. dont know the figures though.

Plus are they 'supposed to repatriate you at the end? if they go the green card route they could remove that clause if you agreed as yoiu would have the right to stay here (as opposes to having to leave if visa status ended).
Old Aug 13th 2014, 12:29 am
Forum Regular

Location: from Yorkshire, via Hampshire and Surrey to NC Triangle
mommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to all

In NC you'd be classed as an international student also, until you held a greencard. Your upside is she'll have American recognized certificates when you get one.
Old Aug 13th 2014, 5:04 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Most of those Q's are going to depend on the college you attend, so ask them what they consider for instate rates. If you go for F1 student visa, then you generally won't be considered for in state rates.

Funding, much the same as above.

L2 minor isn't allowed to work, but a F1 can work part time, after the first semester, on campus.

Really should have had the greencard in the bag before moving, daft not having it in writing for plan of action as they are under no obligation to bother now.