British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   L2 SSN / Tax ID (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/l2-ssn-tax-id-768252/)

lj2 Aug 14th 2012 12:26 am

L2 SSN / Tax ID

V Quick one (limited online access as just moved over again):

My wife and kids are on L2s - To get them Tax ID numbers, is it the same procedure as it was for me on my previous L1 to get an SSN? Ie go to social security building, wait, see lady at counter and have it mailed to me?

My work online system is not letting me add dependents without SSN or Tax ID. I'm working on that with HR, but would like to get onto the numbers ASAP to avoid other inevitable difficulties.

Appreciate your help y'all!

Noorah101 Aug 14th 2012 1:38 am

Re: L2 SSN / Tax ID

Originally Posted by lj2 (Post 10226017)
V Quick one (limited online access as just moved over again):

My wife and kids are on L2s - To get them Tax ID numbers, is it the same procedure as it was for me on my previous L1 to get an SSN? Ie go to social security building, wait, see lady at counter and have it mailed to me?

My work online system is not letting me add dependents without SSN or Tax ID. I'm working on that with HR, but would like to get onto the numbers ASAP to avoid other inevitable difficulties.

Appreciate your help y'all!

Yes. L-2 visa holders need to go in person to the social security office and apply They should wait about 10 days after entry to the USA to give the system time to update their entry information so SS can see it.

If they go to the SS office, they won't be applying for a Tax ID number. They'll be applying for a Social Security Number. There is a difference.

Rene

lisa67 Aug 14th 2012 2:13 am

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 10226082)
Yes. L-2 visa holders need to go in person to the social security office and apply They should wait about 10 days after entry to the USA to give the system time to update their entry information so SS can see it.

If they go to the SS office, they won't be applying for a Tax ID number. They'll be applying for a Social Security Number. There is a difference.

Rene

I believe that's children on L2s cannot get SSNs but only tax ID numbers.

Bob Aug 14th 2012 2:53 am

Originally Posted by lisa67 (Post 10226118)
I believe that's children on L2s cannot get SSNs but only tax ID numbers.

Yup and these days, I think you get those when you do your taxes as they've stopped issuing them as generic ID numbers now.

Bayleaf_01 Aug 14th 2012 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 10226155)
Yup and these days, I think you get those when you do your taxes as they've stopped issuing them as generic ID numbers now.

I am a L2 dependent of a L1A visa. I got SSN issued at the same time as my husband - 2 weeks after entry. We have two kids, I tried to get tax ID numbers for them and was told this is only possible after tax filing.

Hope this helps

Bob Aug 14th 2012 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by Bayleaf_01 (Post 10226904)
I am a L2 dependent of a L1A visa. I got SSN issued at the same time as my husband - 2 weeks after entry. We have two kids, I tried to get tax ID numbers for them and was told this is only possible after tax filing.

Hope this helps

I thought that was the case.

Think they changed the ITIN thing a few years back, when you could apply for it when ever but now you can't till after tax filing.

Noorah101 Aug 14th 2012 3:36 pm

Thanks, I always forget about the kids not being SSN eligible.

Rene

MsElui Aug 15th 2012 9:56 pm

you actually have to submit the ITIN form (tax id request) WITH the first tax return that you want to claim the kids as dependants.

Read the form very carefully- they rejected ours (prepared by KPMG) twice before i took it on myself to fill in and sort out. This dealyed our tax refund by a month or two while we waited - its not a speedy process.

lj2 Sep 16th 2012 2:44 pm

Ok - Getting round to sorting this now, and strangely the advice here (which makes sense to me) seems to contradict the SSA website unless I am confused - The website states:

"In general, only noncitizens who have permission to work from the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) can apply for a Social Security number. If you do not have permission to work but need a Social Security number for other purposes, see “If you do not have permission to work” for further information." at http://www.ssa.gov/ssnumber/ss5doc.htm#o-a-n-work

Then, following that link, "If you do not have permission to work: Lawfully admitted noncitizens can get many benefits and services without a Social Security number. You do not need a number to conduct business with a bank, register for school, apply for educational tests, obtain private health insurance, apply for school lunch programs or apply for subsidized housing. You cannot get a Social Security number for the sole purpose of obtaining a driver’s license.

Government benefits or services: If you do not have permission to work, you may apply for a Social Security number only if:

•A federal law requires you to provide your Social Security number to get a particular benefit or service; or
•A state or local law requires you to provide your Social Security number to get general assistance benefits that you already have qualified for.
If you need a number to meet these state or local requirements, you must bring us a letter from the government agency. It must be on letterhead stationery (no form letters or photocopies) and:

•Specifically identify you as the applicant;
•Cite the law requiring you to have a Social Security number;
•Indicate that you meet all the agency’s requirements, except having the number; and
•Contain an agency contact name and telephone number."

So - Does this mean, in some way, that she needs to get permission to work before she gets an SSN (ie gets EAD?)? If so, then we have to wait 3 months to apply for that, right - and she cannot drive without a US license after 60/90 days etc etc so that's not good... how do we get the kids to school?!

It strikes me that perhaps the website is not entirely complete for an L2... but it would be good to be certain because, as you know, the counter operator at the SSA offices isn't always the most informed...

All help appreciated, and hopefully this thread will help someone else in the future too...

Bayleaf_01 Sep 16th 2012 3:11 pm

[/QUOTE]So - Does this mean, in some way, that she needs to get permission to work before she gets an SSN (ie gets EAD?)? If so, then we have to wait 3 months to apply for that, right - and she cannot drive without a US license after 60/90 days etc etc so that's not good... how do we get the kids to school?!

It strikes me that perhaps the website is not entirely complete for an L2... but it would be good to be certain because, as you know, the counter operator at the SSA offices isn't always the most informed...

All help appreciated, and hopefully this thread will help someone else in the future too...[/QUOTE]

OK, here is my experience. I am L2 spouse of L1A visa living in Michigan.
We arrived in May, waited 10 days and went in person to the social security office and got our SS numbers.
I immediately applied for Employment Authorisation (EAD) when I had my SS number. It takes 3 months from filing for the card to arrive.

Both my husband and I drove in Michigan on our UK driving licenses until we had signed a lease agreement - which was 10 weeks after arriving (company gave us apartment for 10 weeks, so we hadn't signed anything). We needed proof of residency in order to apply for a US license, and had to sit both written and road tests. I guess it depends on the state, how long you can drive on UK license. As I understand it, you should be able to apply for a license without a SS number. We leased cars and obtained insurance with UK licenses - although the price of insurance is higher because your license isn't your home state.

All I needed to register the kids for school was proof of residency for the school district. By law, they must accept any child living in their district whether you are here legally or not.

Hope this helps a bit, it's a big scary move and I know I spent hours researching things before we left.

Good luck!

ian-mstm Sep 16th 2012 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by lj2 (Post 10283598)
Does this mean, in some way, that she needs to get permission to work before she gets an SSN (ie gets EAD?)? If so, then we have to wait 3 months to apply for that, right - and she cannot drive without a US license after 60/90 days etc etc so that's not good... how do we get the kids to school?!

An L-2 is eligible to get a SSN because the L-2 visa, by itself, allows them to. That said, an L-2 does not need an EAD to get a SSN. The L-2 must have an EAD to actually work, though.

Ian

md95065 Sep 16th 2012 5:53 pm

I don't know the specific details for your state, but just be aware that the state regulations regarding when you need to get a driver's license and what documents and/or identification numbers you do or not need to produce in order to get one are completely independent of the federal regulations regarding how you go about obtaining those documents and numbers and how long it takes.

There is thus no reason to expect that your wife will necessarily be able to get a driver's license in the time frame that you need and want her to be able to.
Most people manage to find a way around this - precisely how depends on the state and your tolerance for risk (eg just continuing to drive on a UK license for a few months after the point at which you should have got a new license from the state).