British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   L2 to North Carolina, possibly pregnant at 42 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/l2-north-carolina-possibly-pregnant-42-a-872052/)

MilosMummy Feb 8th 2016 10:05 am

L2 to North Carolina, possibly pregnant at 42

Hi all,

I'm a rookie to all this so please be gentle !

Hubby is heading up a US arm of the company he works for and subsequently he, myself and our 5 year old son will be relocating. L1/L2 visas are imminent as our attorney is filing.

My biggest question is about insurance. What if I am pregnant before arriving on US soil, will insurance still cover me ? The company is going to give us a good insurance and details are being put in place but I saw a post from years ago saying insurance won't cover a pre-existing pregnancy. That's terrifying since I imagine it costs around $30k without. Please can you impart some of your wisdom, particularly those of you that may have experienced just what I am describing - turning up pregnant in the USA. It's still early days and I am 42 and it may not work out that I can carry a child at my age but I would like to have my facts straight anyway. Thanks in advance !!

Lion in Winter Feb 8th 2016 10:42 am

Re: L2 to North Carolina, possibly pregnant at 42

Originally Posted by MilosMummy (Post 11860991)
Hi all,

I'm a rookie to all this so please be gentle !

Hubby is heading up a US arm of the company he works for and subsequently he, myself and our 5 year old son will be relocating. L1/L2 visas are imminent as our attorney is filing.

My biggest question is about insurance. What if I am pregnant before arriving on US soil, will insurance still cover me ? The company is going to give us a good insurance and details are being put in place but I saw a post from years ago saying insurance won't cover a pre-existing pregnancy. That's terrifying since I imagine it costs around $30k without. Please can you impart some of your wisdom, particularly those of you that may have experienced just what I am describing - turning up pregnant in the USA. It's still early days and I am 42 and it may not work out that I can carry a child at my age but I would like to have my facts straight anyway. Thanks in advance !!

You should check the specific details of the insurance coverage and see if pregnancy is covered or not, and if covered what percentage of the costs are covered and what any deductible (what you would pay before the insurance kicks in) would be. Policies are different and there is no one answer - you must read the policy carefully.

MilosMummy Feb 8th 2016 10:46 am

Thanks in that case I guess we can 'shop' accordingly since it's not in place yet.

Lion in Winter Feb 8th 2016 10:52 am

Originally Posted by MilosMummy (Post 11861029)
Thanks in that case I guess we can 'shop' accordingly since it's not in place yet.

Sounds good.

Perhaps the company will just be adding you to their group plan? I imagine that would be the cheapest for them and would likely get you the best coverage. You also want to check how much of the monthly premiums you will be paying, and how much they pay.

Noorah101 Feb 8th 2016 12:09 pm

If the company is covering your health insurance, there isn't much shopping to do, except maybe between 2 or 3 various plans. You will need to get all that information from the HR Benefits representative.

Rene

kins Feb 8th 2016 12:26 pm

Read this, I think you'll find it reassuring. Obamacare changed so much about health insurance that any posts from before 2014 about health insurance are pretty much irrelevant. The article talks about 'qualifying events' - moving to the US or to a new state within the US is a qualifying event.

https://www.healthinsurance.org/obam...nity-coverage/

MilosMummy Feb 8th 2016 12:42 pm

Big thanks Kins !! Fwd it to hubby to to look it over, he's over there in the US for a few weeks so he can also pick up the phone and ask any questions to potential insurance providers but this doc you sent us will give him more confidence to do so. Feel like swimming in treacle in my head but we'll get there thanks to you guys and some support.

Nutmegger Feb 8th 2016 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by MilosMummy (Post 11861138)
he's over there in the US for a few weeks so he can also pick up the phone and ask any questions to potential insurance providers but this doc you sent us will give him more confidence to do so.

Why is he talking to "potential insurance providers?" As Norah 101 stated above, the person he should be speaking to is the HR person at his company, who can tell him all about the coverage the company provides and probably give him a descriptive booklet. In virtually every case, insurance from an employer is going to beat anything he could come up with in the minefield that is US health insurance. Good luck with the move (and your personal situation!).

Owen778 Feb 8th 2016 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by Nutmegger (Post 11861275)
Why is he talking to "potential insurance providers?" As Norah 101 stated above, the person he should be speaking to is the HR person at his company, who can tell him all about the coverage the company provides and probably give him a descriptive booklet. In virtually every case, insurance from an employer is going to beat anything he could come up with in the minefield that is US health insurance. Good luck with the move (and your personal situation!).

I'm wondering if "heading up the US arm" actually means "setting up the US arm"?

MilosMummy Feb 8th 2016 3:17 pm

Hi guys,

I think the confusion here is that perhaps I should elaborate on my earlier "Hubby is heading up a US arm of the company he works for" Hubby is the HR/ Director / general dogsbody - it's a US start-up arm of a UK based company. There are 2 employees stateside right now and is one of them. It will be 1-2 years before they have a full staff and anything other than a serviced office. The UK office are relying on info from the immigration attorney they employed and my Hubby and his colleague who spend a lot of time in the US already. This is a start up - and he's starting it.... hope that makes sense.

Nutmegger Feb 8th 2016 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by MilosMummy (Post 11861285)
Hi guys,

I think the confusion here is that perhaps I should elaborate on my earlier "Hubby is heading up a US arm of the company he works for" Hubby is the HR/ Director / general dogsbody - it's a US start-up arm of a UK based company. There are 2 employees stateside right now and is one of them. It will be 1-2 years before they have a full staff and anything other than a serviced office. The UK office are relying on info from the immigration attorney they employed and my Hubby and his colleague who spend a lot of time in the US already. This is a start up - and he's starting it.... hope that makes sense.

Thanks for the clarification! In that case, I would suggest that, rather than wasting his time calling HI companies, he have the staff member currently onsite find a local insurance broker who specializes in health insurance, and set up a meeting between your OH and that broker. HI is such a minefield, it would be far better to work with a professional -- the broker may suggest something individual for your family, or perhaps he can start a company plan.

MilosMummy Feb 8th 2016 3:39 pm

Thanks Nutmegger, sounds like a good plan. Actually there were some numbers for brokers on the link that Kins sent me. So between you, you've got us in the right direction and less wading through treacle ! Feel better already ! Anyone in the NC area ? How do you go about making new friends without befriending everyone, some of your stories about relocation would be great if you're happy to share ?

Nutmegger Feb 8th 2016 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by MilosMummy (Post 11861304)
How do you go about making new friends without befriending everyone, some of your stories about relocation would be great if you're happy to share ?

I always say that you go about it the same as you would if you moved to a different section of the UK -- find people with similar interests. That might involve volunteering at the dog pound, at a child's school, joining a reading circle at the library, a gym, or a cooking class. People here are far more outgoing than I ever was, and I learned to "go with the flow"! Don't expect everyone who becomes friendly to become a life-long friend -- some will fall by the wayside after initial enthusiasm, but the cream will rise to the top! All the best.

MilosMummy Feb 8th 2016 3:59 pm

Thanks for the advice and wishes. I just hope the visa interview comes soon, the attorney obviously knows his stuff but it seems such a waiting game, frustrating and exciting all at once. Thanks again !

rbackhouse Feb 8th 2016 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by MilosMummy (Post 11861304)
Anyone in the NC area ? How do you go about making new friends without befriending everyone, some of your stories about relocation would be great if you're happy to share ?

Where in NC will you be located ?