Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

L2 and employment for spouses.

L2 and employment for spouses.

Old Aug 13th 2009, 10:26 am
Forum Regular

_jon_ will become famous soon enough_jon_ will become famous soon enough
Default L2 and employment for spouses.

I am going to be the spouse with the wifes getting her L visa.

I understand that there is a 3 month wait for the work permit but how many of the 'spouses' on here found work and in there original field of work?
Old Aug 13th 2009, 10:36 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: L2 and employment for spouses.

Originally Posted by _jon_

I understand that there is a 3 month wait for the work permit but how many of the 'spouses' on here found work and in there original field of work?
Mrs tonrob did (Hotel Management).
Old Aug 13th 2009, 1:54 pm
Searching for contentment

ukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by _jon_

I would guess it depends on what the original field is. My husband came as the "trailing spouse" and he was a Police Officer in the UK, which he was unable to do here (US) as you need to be a citizen to do that. So, he's ended up doing University Campus security instead. Close enough, but not exactly the same.
Old Aug 13th 2009, 4:52 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

there is not a 'three month wait' for EAD. You cannot apply for it until the L2 steps into the country and they give a 90 day estimate for everyone - but clearly it can take a lot less than 90 days. i got mine in under 2 months or so earlier this year.
Old Aug 13th 2009, 10:04 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Find work just like you would anywhere...online, local papers, networking...as for original field of work, depends what it is, some need to get qualifications certified, some need to retrain, others are fine.

Might have to find who to send your email too rather than rely on HR as you might need to explain what an EAD is other wise they'll see an expiration date and that might be the end of that, even though your immigration status shouldn't be a factor.