British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   L1A visa status - 1 month notice - Please help (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/l1a-visa-status-1-month-notice-please-help-727571/)

meghna Aug 5th 2011 3:21 pm

L1A visa status - 1 month notice - Please help

hello,

We moved to the US in Aug 2010 on L1A/L2 visa and all of a sudden HR at my husband's work gave him a month's notice. He is the main sponsor so as his L1A visa gets revoked, my L2 visa will as well therefore I will lose my job too.

It is so depressing we will have to move back to UK in a month's time and start all over again, sold house everything when moving last year. The company is not ready to pay for flights or any other expenses saying that they don't have a job for him in UK to come back too. With 2 young kids it will be tough for us.

Is there anything we can do? I am not sure I can apply for H1B visa? probably too late to apply for this year.

Many Thanks
Meghna

Englishmum Aug 5th 2011 3:37 pm

Re: L1A visa status - 1 month notice - Please help

Originally Posted by meghna (Post 9539794)
hello,

The company is not ready to pay for flights or any other expenses saying that they don't have a job for him in UK to come back too. With 2 young kids it will be tough for us.

Many Thanks
Meghna

Oh dear, I feel so sorry for you. This highlights the danger of expats who sell their properties back home before obtaining a Green Card; this has happened to so many expats, you're not the first and you won't be the last.

I think that the company does have to pay for your flights back to the UK; I'm pretty sure that it's one of the conditions when they applied for your visas that they have to repatriate you if the company terminates the employment, to ensure that visa holders won't become overstayers. Check the contract and seek legal advice if necessary.

Good luck.

N1cky Aug 5th 2011 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by meghna (Post 9539794)
hello,

We moved to the US in Aug 2010 on L1A/L2 visa and all of a sudden HR at my husband's work gave him a month's notice. He is the main sponsor so as his L1A visa gets revoked, my L2 visa will as well therefore I will lose my job too.

It is so depressing we will have to move back to UK in a month's time and start all over again, sold house everything when moving last year. The company is not ready to pay for flights or any other expenses saying that they don't have a job for him in UK to come back too. With 2 young kids it will be tough for us.

Is there anything we can do? I am not sure I can apply for H1B visa? probably too late to apply for this year.

Many Thanks
Meghna

Sorry about your situation, same thing happened to us last year so I can really sympathize. In summary advise that we gathered was that we could transfer to a B2 visa, which would give us time to sort out our affairs here and for hubby to find a new job and apply for a H visa. Obviously you would have to get a H visa in your own right.

We were lucky in that hubby works for a huge organization and he was able to find another position to transfer his L visa to, is that something that may be possible?

Companies do not have to pay for flights home unless specifically stated in your contract for L visas, they do have to for people on H visas.

It's a really tough time, hope everything works out for you:fingerscrossed:

Orangepants Aug 5th 2011 6:04 pm

I really feel for you. My husband lost his job Dec 2009 on a H1B and we scrambled to try and save the situation. He transferred to a B2 which gave him 6 months and during that 6 months got another job and the visa came through 5 days before D-Day. I would file the change of status to B2, gives you breathing space.
If you have a degree yes you can still apply for H1B this year to start Oct 1 as can your hubby.
Good Luck.