British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   L1A filling Tax for the first Time. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/l1a-filling-tax-first-time-598838/)

AnjLeicestershire Mar 20th 2009 2:17 pm

L1A filling Tax for the first Time.

I will be filling Tax return for the first time this week using H&R Block. I went to their office last week but the accountant could not complete the form because I have 3 children and they don’t have SSN. I have been given refusal letter for all of my children from SS Office. SSN can be issued to the children only after they become GC holders. Both my self and my wife have SSN.

I was also told that I have to apply for ITIN numbers for the kids so that I can show them dependents on my returns and all this has to be submitted together so I have to go back to H&R Block and see more experienced accountant.

I have been in US since Sept 08 (on L1A) so I am classed as none resident alien therefore I have to file tax return as none resident alien! I just wanted to know if any one else has been in the same situation! And if they had to pay back IRS!

Cheers

sambapink Mar 20th 2009 3:30 pm

Re: L1A filling Tax for the first Time.

HR Block should apply for the ITIN's on your behalf.. They will inform IRS (via the Tax Return) that they have applied for the ITIN's. Make sure that they fill out the applications correctly, and send supporting evidence for each child - believe me, you don't want it messed up!

AnjLeicestershire Mar 20th 2009 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by sambapink (Post 7401401)
HR Block should apply for the ITIN's on your behalf.. They will inform IRS (via the Tax Return) that they have applied for the ITIN's. Make sure that they fill out the applications correctly, and send supporting evidence for each child - believe me, you don't want it messed up!

I agree! this is new to me so I am concern.. Thank you for your help.

Sir Denis Eaton-Hogg Mar 20th 2009 4:37 pm

In exact same situation last week with ITIN's for kids and H&R B

Requested an H&R B advisor online who catered specifically, and had experience with aliens, she was previously one herself so knows the score, (much like Sambapink its an invaluable asset to H&R B having somebody that understands your situation.) She applied for the ITIN's on our behalf. It took 24hrs. We had to provide copies of our original UCIS certificates/recept documentation.

Filing as a non-resident in this first year as we are within the 180 timeframe for this year. However next year will be different. As such am not allowed to make any of the resident deductions there are personal deductions I can make. My advisor really knows her stuff

Having a W2 really helps. I am due a small refund, but am in CA so will probably get Michaels vouchers, monopoly money or a signed picture of Arnold :p

From what the advisor says these are relatively easy cases, there are a lot of Russian imigrants in the area of the office I chose so she sees this type of thing all the time.

Total H&R B charges $90

Hope that helps? Good luck

Sir D

AnjLeicestershire Mar 20th 2009 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by Sir Denis Eaton-Hogg (Post 7401621)

Requested an H&R B advisor online who catered specifically, and had experience with aliens, she was previously one herself so knows the score, (much like Sambapink its an invaluable asset to H&R B having somebody that understands your situation.) She applied for the ITIN's on our behalf. It took 24hrs. We had to provide copies of our original UCIS certificates/recept documentation.

Filing as a non-resident in this first year as we are within the 180 timeframe for this year. However next year will be different. As such am not allowed to make any of the resident deductions there are personal deductions I can make. My advisor really knows her stuff

Having a W2 really helps. I am due a small refund, but am in CA so will probably get Michaels vouchers, monopoly money or a signed picture of Arnold :p

From what the advisor says these are relatively easy cases, there are a lot of Russian imigrants in the area of the office I chose so she sees this type of thing all the time.

Total H&R B charges $90

Sir D

Thank you so much. This helps. I will post a message on Monday to let you know how I got on.

Cheers

sambapink Mar 20th 2009 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by Sir Denis Eaton-Hogg (Post 7401621)

Total H&R B charges $90

Sir D

Do you mean it took 24 hours to apply for ITIN's or to receive the ITIN's????

Sir Denis Eaton-Hogg Mar 20th 2009 6:04 pm

Uhh, honestly I am not sure.

The original appointment was on a Wednesday afternoon, after which I was told they could not complete the filing that day as I would need ITIN's for the kids, and that they would obtain them and that I should come back on Friday Morning. Which I did and the forms were filed...... I did not actually enquire into any specific details regarding the ITIN's

Sorry?

MsElui Mar 20th 2009 7:26 pm

i echo the advise about getting the itin application right. Our accountant stuffed it up and we had the application rejected twice. In the end I sent the applications in my self and we got them okay. We had hassle with the federal tax about it because they wanted us to lose the allowance for the kids as the ITINs took to long so we would have had to pay an extra $3k. got it sorted in the end tho.

(if you send NOTARISED copies of your kids passport - make sure it includes the VISA pages as well as thats what I think the accountnants did wrong for us- my bank photcopied and did the notarising on the spot for free).