Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

L1 Visa - Step off the plane, now what?

L1 Visa - Step off the plane, now what?

Old Jun 19th 2017, 6:07 pm
Just Joined

sharprc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: L1 Visa - Step off the plane, now what?

Originally Posted by ScousePete
That looks about right for a nice apartment. There are some cheaper options - if you are looking to be thrifty.

All of the big banks are in Madison. If you think you'll be in WI for a while I would recommend a credit union. If you think you'll move around at some stage, then I'd go for one of the big national bank, Bank of America, Chase, etc.

Madison has a good public transportation system, so you could survive without a car, but it would be a challenge at times (It's not NYC!). If you decide not to drive, you'll want to get an ID card instead of a driver's license. Bars and clubs in Madison are very strict about checking IDs and you'll not want to carry your passport with you all the time.
I'll be working in Columbus so unfortunately I'm gonna have to get some wheels.
Old Jun 20th 2017, 11:54 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ScousePete
..... If you decide not to drive, you'll want to get an ID card instead of a driver's license. Bars and clubs in Madison are very strict about checking IDs and you'll not want to carry your passport with you all the time.
(For the benefit of anyone else reading this). Even if you don't own a car and/or plan to drive frequently, if you can drive you should get a drivers license because your UK/non-US license will not be valid after a few weeks (depending on the state, not more than three months, and as little as 10 days).

So if you rent a car, or are offered a car to borrow, or need to rent a small moving van, etc, you are going to need a US (state) drivers license. So even if you don't expect to get a car, put "get a drivers license" on you list of things to do in the first couple of months after you arrive.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 20th 2017 at 11:56 am.
Old Jun 21st 2017, 11:58 am
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
(For the benefit of anyone else reading this). Even if you don't own a car and/or plan to drive frequently, if you can drive you should get a drivers license because your UK/non-US license will not be valid after a few weeks (depending on the state, not more than three months, and as little as 10 days).

So if you rent a car, or are offered a car to borrow, or need to rent a small moving van, etc, you are going to need a US (state) drivers license. So even if you don't expect to get a car, put "get a drivers license" on you list of things to do in the first couple of months after you arrive.
Agreed. What I really meant to say was that you *at least* need to get a state ID, but a drivers license is much preferred.
Old Oct 17th 2017, 9:56 am
Just Joined

evanstim is an unknown quantity at this point

Ref finances: because you do not have a US credit record, getting a credit card will be difficult. We set up a Bank Account pretty easily when we moved over in 2015, which obviously had a Visa debit card, but the Bank wanted a huge deposit - to be held in "escrow" as they call it, not that I think it is held by a 3rd party - for a credit card to be issued. This would have been for 6 months, after which the deposit would have been refunded. We were not inclined to do this, and use of a debit card is not optimal in a lot of circumstances, so late one Wednesday evening when I was on business in Colorado City I phoned Amex, who were absolutely terrific. I had two Amex cards in the UK, and I spent 20 minutes on the phone with an "International Transfer" advisor, the end result being that on the Friday we were in receipt of 2 Amex credit cards with a $10,000 limit.

You'll know when you have a built a credit rating, as you'll start to get inundated - meaning multiple offers each week - with credit offers from Capital One and other bottom-of-the-barrel credit providers. After 6 months of paying the card of each month, Amex also offered me a Platinum card and upped the limit on my card to $17,000 (Note that we never spent anything like that - we averaged a spend of about $2,500 per month).

I cannot speak highly enough of my experience with Amex. It is also very widely accepted in the US, much more so than in the UK.
Old Oct 17th 2017, 11:21 am
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by evanstim
Ref finances: because you do not have a US credit record, getting a credit card will be difficult. We set up a Bank Account pretty easily when we moved over in 2015, which obviously had a Visa debit card, but the Bank wanted a huge deposit - to be held in "escrow" as they call it, not that I think it is held by a 3rd party - for a credit card to be issued. This would have been for 6 months, after which the deposit would have been refunded. We were not inclined to do this, and use of a debit card is not optimal in a lot of circumstances, so late one Wednesday evening when I was on business in Colorado City I phoned Amex, who were absolutely terrific. I had two Amex cards in the UK, and I spent 20 minutes on the phone with an "International Transfer" advisor, the end result being that on the Friday we were in receipt of 2 Amex credit cards with a $10,000 limit.

You'll know when you have a built a credit rating, as you'll start to get inundated - meaning multiple offers each week - with credit offers from Capital One and other bottom-of-the-barrel credit providers. After 6 months of paying the card of each month, Amex also offered me a Platinum card and upped the limit on my card to $17,000 (Note that we never spent anything like that - we averaged a spend of about $2,500 per month).

I cannot speak highly enough of my experience with Amex. It is also very widely accepted in the US, much more so than in the UK.
Capital One.. bottom-of-the-barrel???
Old Oct 17th 2017, 11:33 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
Capital One.. bottom-of-the-barrel???
You think Capital One are not? Interesting... They are big, certainly, but personally, I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole, due to their reputation. I do understand they fulfil a market need, but I do not see myself as in that space in the market.
Old Oct 17th 2017, 2:37 pm
i hate cabbage

Jack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond repute

Odd re-opening a 4 month old thread to throw numbers around

I've had capital one since day one of moving here and not had an issue.

You sir, are clearly above them with your dual $10k amex cards
Old Oct 17th 2017, 3:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

Capital One certainly do appear quite quickly when building a credit file in the early days, so I am guessing they are a bit more open to lower credit ratings is the point being made.
Old Oct 17th 2017, 5:27 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jack8602
Odd re-opening a 4 month old thread to throw numbers around

I've had capital one since day one of moving here and not had an issue.

You sir, are clearly above them with your dual $10k amex cards
Actually, I stumbled across this thread when searching the forum for an answer to a question I had. I thought my experience and the suggestion to try Amex may have been useful to the OP. I did not "re-open a 4-month old thread to throw numbers around".

I am sorry that you feel the need to use the forum to offend those who were merely being trying to be helpful.