Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

L1 Move to LA Off - Slightly Relieved...??!!

L1 Move to LA Off - Slightly Relieved...??!!

Old Apr 9th 2014, 7:54 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: L1 Move to LA Off - Slightly Relieved...??!!

Originally Posted by N1cky
then we'll be in a position to make a decision based on what hubby and I want, and not just doing what's best for our daughter.
Dream on, our kids are 40, 34 and 32 this year and a lot of what we do still ends up being what is best for one of them. Or the grandson really. Plans to buy an RV and tour the US have been thwarted by another grandson being born on April 25 (if he waits until the doctors do the C section), because Mrs L says we missed the first 2 years of our first grandson's life and she wants to be around for this one. Actually I think that is just an excuse she doesn't want to buy an RV really.
Old Apr 9th 2014, 8:22 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
Dream on, our kids are 40, 34 and 32 this year and a lot of what we do still ends up being what is best for one of them. Or the grandson really. Plans to buy an RV and tour the US have been thwarted by another grandson being born on April 25 (if he waits until the doctors do the C section), because Mrs L says we missed the first 2 years of our first grandson's life and she wants to be around for this one. Actually I think that is just an excuse she doesn't want to buy an RV really.
Ooh! I'd definitely want to be close by if I have grandkids. But I figure I've got 10 years between daughter leaving high school and her having babies . I also assume, at this time, she will spend the majority of those 10 years living out of a smelly Jeep while travelling across the wilderness of the USA/Europe..., so it will make no difference where we live.

P.S. I'd do anything to avoid an RV, I don't blame your wife one tiny bit.
Old Apr 9th 2014, 8:27 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Ooh! I'd definitely want to be close by if I have grandkids. ....
My in-laws moved next door when little Miss P was a baby, but then upped and moved to the far end of the state when she was three years old, just about the time she was getting more mobile and independent. .... Now it is apparently our fault that they don't see their granddaughter often enough! /
Old Apr 9th 2014, 8:36 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
My in-laws moved next door when little Miss P was a baby, but then upped and moved to the far end of the state when she was three years old, just about the time she was getting more mobile and independent. .... Now it is apparently our fault that they don't see their granddaughter often enough! /
That sucks.

Moving our daughter away from her Grandparents, is probably the most painful thing we've done to either of them
Old Apr 9th 2014, 8:40 pm
Hoppity hop...

BunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond repute

That sucks.

Moving our daughter away from her Grandparents, is probably the most painful thing we've done to either of them
I'm dreading this too My son is the only grandchild (and my brother's dead set against having children) and my mum dotes on him. I hate that I'm taking him away from them but even my mum says that I'm doing the right thing, even though she'll miss him lots
Old Apr 9th 2014, 8:52 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

That sucks. ....
Yeah, well it ain't my problem. ..... We presented them with a deal that most grandparents would jump at - we bought that house, and rented it to them for the mortgage payment. We partially renovated it too, at their request, removing a closet, closing up a doorway, and installing very nice 3½" cherry stained flooring through most of the house. They abandoned it voluntarily and I have no interest in inconveniencing myself to solve the problem they created.
Old Apr 9th 2014, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by BunnyGirl
I'm dreading this too My son is the only grandchild (and my brother's dead set against having children) and my mum dotes on him. I hate that I'm taking him away from them but even my mum says that I'm doing the right thing, even though she'll miss him lots
It can be extremely painful, it's good that your Mum understands, and hopefully she'll be able to visit you often.

If my Mum had still been alive, when we moved to the US, I'm not sure she would have ever spoken to me again. She was bad enough when we moved 150 miles away in the UK.

My in-laws like to travel, and can afford to come out here fairly often. So they actually get to spend more time with my daughter, than they would if we had stayed in the UK. Around 20 whole days a year, compared to the odd day it would have been in the UK. I can cope with it when I think of it this way.

Sadly, my Dad, is in no fit state to travel, he did manage it once just after we had moved. But all in, he's probably seen her for around 16 days in the last 7 years
Old Apr 9th 2014, 9:19 pm
Hoppity hop...

BunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond repute

It can be extremely painful, it's good that your Mum understands, and hopefully she'll be able to visit you often.

If my Mum had still been alive, when we moved to the US, I'm not sure she would have ever spoken to me again. She was bad enough when we moved 150 miles away in the UK.

My in-laws like to travel, and can afford to come out here fairly often. So they actually get to spend more time with my daughter, than they would if we had stayed in the UK. Around 20 whole days a year, compared to the odd day it would have been in the UK. I can cope with it when I think of it this way.

Sadly, my Dad, is in no fit state to travel, he did manage it once just after we had moved. But all in, he's probably seen her for around 16 days in the last 7 years
Sorry about your dad Mine's kind of the same, he had a stroke 2 years ago so isn't great now. He's still ok to travel for a bit but I think, in a couple of years, he won't be able to. My OH has always said that potentially we could move to the UK to look after my parents if it comes to that - hopefully the stupid sponsorship rules will have eased by that point