British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   L1 Move to LA Off - Slightly Relieved...??!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/l1-move-la-off-slightly-relieved-830874/)

SurreyMum Apr 9th 2014 12:46 pm

L1 Move to LA Off - Slightly Relieved...??!!

Firstly thanks to everyone who posted on my threads back in March and for the couple of PMs I exchanged. All the information was incredibly useful.

I won't bore you with the details but suffice to say office politics / reporting lines / job descriptions all came into play and hubby's potential intra company transfer fell into the "too hard" category. The budget holder rightfully announced that he didn't feel the board would justify the move if there was potentially a suitable candidate already in USA. Last I heard the job was still being defined....

Anyway, after weeks of getting our heads around the potential move, we were initially disappointed with the "no" decision. Then I have to confess I was actually relieved because the more I looked into it, the more I had concluded that we would have had to commit ourselves to 10 years in USA to avoid moving our daughters between USA and UK school systems at any critical point in their education. 10 years would be dependent on L1 visa renewals and/or GC application - none of which would be guaranteed, and 10 years is a long time to consider for someone who's only ever lived in UK.

The BE forums have provided a more "realistic" view into life in USA and enabled me to remove my rose-tinted spectacles. But you can't blame a girl for lusting after sunshine whilst experiencing the wettest winter in UK on record ;) But it's not as if it was "what I had always dreamed of...":) ;)

Not to say that hubby's company won't throw a USA transfer at him at some stage but I think I would be better prepared next time any discussions started. I will still lurk around this boards as I find the threads informative, eye opening and if I am honest hilarious at times.

Thanks again

SurreyMum

Englishmum Apr 9th 2014 1:00 pm

Re: L1 Move to LA Off - Slightly Relieved...??!!

What a lovely post! Do come back! :)

Actually the longest you can be in the US on the L1/L2 visas is 7 years (including 2 renewals) and then if you want to stay longer then you have to apply for Green cards well before your visas time out.

We initially left the UK to go to Singapore on an expat posting for approx 12-18 months......19 years later and 3 further international relocations later we still haven't moved back to England.....! My daughter ended up going to boarding school in Oxford for her 'A' levels and has remained as a UK resident....our son is still in New Jersey (with no intentions of leaving the US) and my spouse and I are currently in Switzerland.

It is all so complicated - I think you are wise to stay put in England for the time being! :lol:

delbitter Apr 9th 2014 1:20 pm

Finally got my L1 through yesterday and it was a long process!

Sounds like you have a lot of commitments to keep you busy here in the UK! :)

Pulaski Apr 9th 2014 2:00 pm

Thanks for the update! :) .....So many just come and go and we never know what happened? :confused: ..... I'm glad you find some things hilarious, sometimes we "do hilarious", other times it's just biting sarcasm, and you never know what you're going to get, we're like an internet bran tub! :rofl:

robin1234 Apr 9th 2014 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11211546)
.....So many just come and go and we never know what happened? :confused: ..... I'm glad you find some things hilarious,

Still others of us show up like bad pennies every day, and that's a pain in the ass too!;)

SurreyMum Apr 9th 2014 3:51 pm

Dear Pulanski

It is the sarcasm (along with the mild obsession with all things "bacon") that I enjoy..... ;)

MMcD Apr 9th 2014 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by SurreyMum (Post 11211706)
It is the sarcasm (along with the mild obsession with all things "bacon") that I enjoy..... ;)

AKA: "Chewing the fat" ;)
Glad you're pleased with how things have resolved themselves, for now.

N1cky Apr 9th 2014 4:31 pm

Thanks for coming back and updating us.

Sometimes I wish our L1 had never gone through. I look back at the turmoil we've been through the last 7 years, and it gives me a serious headache. The latest saga involving the GC was really all about my daughter and fighting to give her some stability, in a place she loves and she considers 'home'. We'll be here now until she's out of school, and then we'll be in a position to make a decision based on what hubby and I want, and not just doing what's best for our daughter.

I have some old school friends who I'm in touch through Facebook with, and they still live in the same area where we grew up, their kids attend the same schools we did. I used to think 'how boring', now I think 'how lucky'. It must be nice to be settled, and happy, with family and friends around. Moving to the other side of the world isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Enjoy beautiful England, and the easy access to Europe, 25+ days vacation, not worrying about healthcare, wonderful food, and mostly your family and friends. I never appreciated what I had until we left it behind.

SurreyMum Apr 9th 2014 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by N1cky (Post 11211754)

Sometimes I wish our L1 had never gone through.

Enjoy beautiful England, and the easy access to Europe, 25+ days vacation, not worrying about healthcare, wonderful food, and mostly your family and friends. I never appreciated what I had until we left it behind.

Oh Nicky......

For me, seeing my daughters so happy in their respective schools and facing swapping them to a totally different system (I am not going to comment on which one is "better" as they both have their + and - points) was something I was dreading. In some ways "now" is the best time to do a stint in USA cause in 2 years our eldest will be choosing her GCSE options but I am happy that for now, I know they will finish their education in the English system.

So we are cracking ahead with our house extension (planning permission came through on Friday) and as you put it - making the most of what we have!

Sally Redux Apr 9th 2014 5:05 pm

You dodged a bullet mate.

Orangepants Apr 9th 2014 5:30 pm

Sometimes I wish our L1 had never gone through. .

Sometimes I wish I'd never met my OH - I'd probably still be dipping my toes in the Caribbean Sea and getting drunk with my friends! :lol::drinkwine:

ned1983 Apr 9th 2014 6:29 pm

I sometimes regret my move to Los Angeles, particularly leaving a young lady back in Oxford where "life was good". But I think that I would live life with much more regret if I hadn't taken the opportunity when it presented itself.

Remember the cliches, nothing is permanent, life is what you make it, you can be just as happy anywhere as long as you keep perspective. :)

hungryhorace Apr 9th 2014 6:56 pm

Whilst I will +1 to all of the above, I have always found travelling within continental Europe significantly more expensive than within the United States. The food here isn't that bad either, though American chocolate leaves a lot to be desired!

lansbury Apr 9th 2014 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by SurreyMum (Post 11211706)
Dear Pulanski

That did it. I was saving my last packet of English bacon for my birthday. Now bacon has been mentioned I am going to have to open it and have a toasted bacon and HP sauce sarni for lunch. :rolleyes:

Bob Apr 9th 2014 7:37 pm

It's good to hear an update! :)