Reload this Page >

L1 and dependant children

L1 and dependant children

Old Aug 27th 2005, 4:12 pm
Just Joined

markc will become famous soon enoughmarkc will become famous soon enough
Default L1 and dependant children

Hello all
my company has agreed to relocate my family and I to Virginia on a L1 Visa. I have three children aged 13, 15 and 17. Will my son still be eligible to be treated as a dependant once he turns 18 and does it make a difference whether he enters the US before or after his 18th Birthday? Also, would he be entitled to an L2 visa and, if so, would he be allowed to work in the US or is this entitlement limited to dependant spouses?

Regards

Mark
Old Aug 27th 2005, 4:59 pm
Vegas Baby

vegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: L1 and dependant children

We too came on L visas. Your Son would not be able to work on an L2 visa but your spouse can. If your son could get a job where the company would sponser him for a H1b then he could work with that. It is irelevant if he is 17 or 18 as it makes no difference and on an L2 visa he would have to return to Britain when he reaches 21. If you can get your company to sponser you for a green card then he would be able to get Employment authorisation based on a pending I485 and work but as he is 18 then you had better set this going pretty fast as he too would get a green card as long as he was under 21. Else he would have to return to the UK. I think that it would be wise for him to look at going to college and get a degree as you can't get any decent jobs in this country without one. Also it would be very hard to get a job as an alien on a temporary visa.

Last edited by vegas; Aug 27th 2005 at 5:06 pm.
Old Aug 27th 2005, 5:03 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vegas
If you can get your company to sponser you for a green card then he would be able to get Employment authorisation based on a pending I485 and work but as he is 18 then you had better set this going pretty fast as he too would get a green card as long as he was under 21. Else he would have to return to the UK.
Just wanted to add that as long as the I-485 (Green Card application) is lodged before the son turns 21, then his age is 'locked-in', i.e. he can remain in the US until the I-485 is adjudicated, even if this occurs after he turns 21.
Old Aug 27th 2005, 7:18 pm
Just Joined

Thank you both for your detailed response. He is intending to go to University either here in the UK or in the US anyway - the reason I asked about working was that he would like to have taken a part time job when not studying but this isn't the end of the world.

Is it possible to submit the green card application immediately or will I need to spend some time in the states before I can do this?

Thanks again for your help. Certainly makes the decision whether or not to move out there easier knowing that my son can come with us!

Regards

Mark
Old Aug 27th 2005, 8:33 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markc
Thank you both for your detailed response. He is intending to go to University either here in the UK or in the US anyway - the reason I asked about working was that he would like to have taken a part time job when not studying but this isn't the end of the world.

Is it possible to submit the green card application immediately or will I need to spend some time in the states before I can do this?

Thanks again for your help. Certainly makes the decision whether or not to move out there easier knowing that my son can come with us!

Regards

Mark

I don't know whether you need to spend some time in the states before applying for your green cards. Check the USCIS website.

One thing to bear in mind re. your son: to be charged UK fees, you have to demonstrate that he has lived in the UK for the 3 years prior to university entry. Otherless it's international fees! :scared:

However, all is not lost: if you can demonstrate that his stay abroad is temporary and continue to maintain close ties to the UK, they MAY accept him as a home student. Close ties could include keeping your house, paying NI contributions (a sensible idea anyway) etc. Check some of Englishmum's past posts; I believe her daughter lived in Singapore and was accepted as a home student.

Now, I don't know to what extent, if at all, a pending application for a green card would affect all this. We are going to be finding out in the next year or so, I expect (our son is planning to apply to UK universities...).

All in all, moving abroad with teenagers ain't easy - for all sorts of reasons...
Old Aug 27th 2005, 8:52 pm
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello all
my company has agreed to relocate my family and I to Virginia on a L1 Visa. I have three children aged 13, 15 and 17. Will my son still be eligible to be treated as a dependant once he turns 18 and does it make a difference whether he enters the US before or after his 18th Birthday? Also, would he be entitled to an L2 visa and, if so, would he be allowed to work in the US or is this entitlement limited to dependant spouses?

Regards

Mark

Hi Mark, me and the wife (Woodsey on here) can give you lots of adivice on moving with the 13 year old - we've been to hell and back in last year or so with ours - PM me
Old Aug 27th 2005, 9:16 pm
Vegas Baby

vegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond repute

You can submit the Green card application the first day you get here there is no minimum waiting time
Old Aug 28th 2005, 10:08 am
Just Joined

Thank you all for your advice - this is such a cool site - I expect I'll be spending a lot of time here over the forthcoming months....

Eskimo and Woodsey - I would like to take you up on your kind offer to discuss the problems you experienced. I'll try and set something up.

Regards

Mark