Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

L-1 renewal and drivers licence

L-1 renewal and drivers licence

Old Nov 17th 2009, 11:42 am
Just Joined

fodeltd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default L-1 renewal and drivers licence

I have just received a 2 year extension approval for my L-1. The last renewal letter I got was enough to get my drivers licence renewed ( PA ) i.e. without having to leave the country to get the visa stamped in my passport. When I look at the list of items required for a PA drivers licence it includes passport and I-94. Will they still accept the I-797A approval notice together with the new I-94 so I can continue to drive as I do not plan on going to the UK for a while to get the visa stamped ?
Old Nov 17th 2009, 1:29 pm
Account Closed

goldenstate31 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: L-1 renewal and drivers licence

I think (now I could be wrong) our friends in Florida had this problem, because they didn't actually renew, their L1 they did what you did which was apply for extension of status. They had to get immigration to fax over to the DVLA or whatever its called in the US with proof of valid status in the US. As they didn't want to go back to the UK either because of work commitments.
Again not sure?
Old Nov 18th 2009, 11:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Vimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond repute

Usually at the drivers licence office they will check your new I-94 attached to your I-797-A against the USCIS database and based upon verification that you are a legal nonimmigrant worker or spouse of a legal they should issue you a new driving licence without you having the physical visa 'stamp' in your passport (at least that what happened to me recently in Georgia)
Old Nov 18th 2009, 7:52 pm
Just Joined

fodeltd is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Vimto that is exactly what they did but it took about an hour of discussion between the officers at the Licencing Office because their written guidelines say they need to see passport and visa which I did not take with me. Not sure if they were wrong or if I was fortunate. They were very courteous and helpful though throughout the process.
In the end it has to be logical that if you are granted permission to continue to live and work with an L-1 approval that you should be allowed to continue to drive without having to leave the country first !
Old Nov 20th 2009, 1:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fodeltd
Thanks Vimto that is exactly what they did but it took about an hour of discussion between the officers at the Licencing Office because their written guidelines say they need to see passport and visa which I did not take with me. Not sure if they were wrong or if I was fortunate. They were very courteous and helpful though throughout the process.
In the end it has to be logical that if you are granted permission to continue to live and work with an L-1 approval that you should be allowed to continue to drive without having to leave the country first !
Glad it worked out well....I'm going in to tackle the DMV with my advanced parole documents <sigh> it's going to fry their brains
Old Nov 20th 2009, 4:18 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisa67
Glad it worked out well....I'm going in to tackle the DMV with my advanced parole documents <sigh> it's going to fry their brains
AP probably won't be enough to get you anything, lisa, but try your EAD (I think it's I-766?). Look on their list of docs they'll take.
Old Nov 20th 2009, 4:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
AP probably won't be enough to get you anything, lisa, but try your EAD (I think it's I-766?). Look on their list of docs they'll take.
I'm trying to extended my "temporary visitor" license which has the date of my (now irrelevant and about to expire) H4 on it...I'll take my EAD but they didn't take much notice of the date of that last time...ho - hum!!
Old Nov 20th 2009, 4:28 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I'm trying to extended my "temporary visitor" license which has the date of my (now irrelevant and about to expire) H4 on it...I'll take my EAD but they didn't take much notice of the date of that last time...ho - hum!!
EAD is usually sufficient proof of legal status... hmmm.
Would have to look at the Texas DMV webpage to see. The EAD shows that you're in a whole 'nother category.. not so 'temporary' any more.
Old Nov 20th 2009, 4:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

EAD is usually sufficient proof of legal status... hmmm.
Would have to look at the Texas DMV webpage to see. The EAD shows that you're in a whole 'nother category.. not so 'temporary' any more.
hmm...what I want them to do is stop my temporary license from expiring in January (when my defunct H4 expires) that's the document they used to determine the date last time ....we shall see...I'm taking a large coffee, as much paper work as I can lay my hands on, my immigration attorney's phone number and a good book (to read while they discuss what to do and photocopy all the paperwork/passport/ead etc. like they did last time!)
Old Nov 20th 2009, 5:46 pm

hmm...what I want them to do is stop my temporary license from expiring in January (when my defunct H4 expires) that's the document they used to determine the date last time ....we shall see...I'm taking a large coffee, as much paper work as I can lay my hands on, my immigration attorney's phone number and a good book (to read while they discuss what to do and photocopy all the paperwork/passport/ead etc. like they did last time!)
Take chocolates too, and bribe them.
Old Nov 20th 2009, 5:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Peter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond repute

Years ago I tried to get a New York license using my EAD as proof of status. What a palava, the DMV wouldn't accept it and I had to get my state assemblyman's office involved! The assemblyman's office sorted it all out for me thankfully!
Old Nov 20th 2009, 8:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Take chocolates too, and bribe them.
exellent idea