Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Knoxville, Tennessee... What's it like there?

Knoxville, Tennessee... What's it like there?

Old Oct 29th 2007, 1:51 pm
In yonder hills

britex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Knoxville, Tennessee... What's it like there?

In my previous thread (my first) I mentioned that my US wife (currently in Texas) is looking to move to Tennessee next year to work (Knoxville). She doesn't know the ins and outs of that city yet and I plan to join her there for 3 - 6 months to help 'test the ground'.

Online Webs 'colour' all types of geographical landscapes, in which tourism plays a part (economy boost). Superficially, these are fine to some degree, as with practical pointers. Environmental benefits... Well, I guess that depends on the individual. I have already used Google Earth to Sat Nav the lay of the land.

Does anyone here live in Knoxville TN (or close by) or at any time, done so? I'd be interested to learn what appeals and what doesn't. In fact, anything useful in advance of my trip there, to assess things.

Mike
Old Oct 29th 2007, 3:30 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Knoxville, Tennessee... What's it like there?

how old are you?

i think knoxville is great if you are a student at UT or if you want to find somewhere to live out the rest of your days (retire)

very boring otherwise

my in-laws (who I really like) live there, but we still spend far too much time there for my liking

if you are outdoorsy there is amazing natural beauty in the closeby smoky mountains

knoxville is also very white, conservative and baptist...

they are trying a downtown revitalisation but I think this is becoming derailed due to the housing market decline...

the airport is small and has limited and expensive flights

housing is cheap

lots of urban sprawl

basically it is missing most of the things that are fun about nashville... but i'm in my twenties (just), so different things could well appeal to you...

edit: just seen you are from lincoln - knoxville could be your cup of tea if you aren;t a fan of larger cities...
Old Oct 29th 2007, 5:13 pm
Forum Regular

KentuckyYid is on a distinguished road

Tennessee is one of the few states still rising in value. I know this as three Realtors I work with have relocated there in the past 12 months from Florida. They all cited the same reasons that's it's an up and coming market and they wanted to be in on it at the start.

I'm sure there are some areas of it that aren't doing so well but by and large it's a good market to buy a property in right now.

Nashville is a great night out!!!!
Old Oct 29th 2007, 5:58 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KentuckyYid
Tennessee is one of the few states still rising in value. I know this as three Realtors I work with have relocated there in the past 12 months from Florida. They all cited the same reasons that's it's an up and coming market and they wanted to be in on it at the start.

I'm sure there are some areas of it that aren't doing so well but by and large it's a good market to buy a property in right now.

Nashville is a great night out!!!!
its certainly one of the better places right now, but as of beginning of september, house sales in nashville have fallen off a cliff

in my zip code that is one of the trendiest areas to live (i've come to the conclusion I'm not trendy enough to live there now) closings on houses 200k upwards have gone from an average of 25-30 a month down to less than 10

the job market still seems to be decent however so if/when there is a storm I think we should be able to weather it fairly easily...
Old Oct 29th 2007, 11:00 pm
In yonder hills

britex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
how old are you?

i think knoxville is great if you are a student at UT or if you want to find somewhere to live out the rest of your days (retire)

very boring otherwise

my in-laws (who I really like) live there, but we still spend far too much time there for my liking

if you are outdoorsy there is amazing natural beauty in the closeby smoky mountains

knoxville is also very white, conservative and baptist...

they are trying a downtown revitalisation but I think this is becoming derailed due to the housing market decline...

the airport is small and has limited and expensive flights

housing is cheap

lots of urban sprawl

basically it is missing most of the things that are fun about nashville... but i'm in my twenties (just), so different things could well appeal to you...

edit: just seen you are from lincoln - knoxville could be your cup of tea if you aren;t a fan of larger cities...
I'm older than you, BritGuy. Add another 30+ years - sunshine... ... Thereabouts, anyway.

I've lived cities and I've lived rural (still do). I prefer rural but I could cope with a cultural city, much like Lincoln here in the UK, or cities like Amsterdam (I lovee Amsterdam) which, of course, I wouldn't find anywhere in the States... ...

Outdoorsy? Yes, to some extent. I still ride horseback quite frequently, so I would enjoy exploring the smokies, trails and so on.

I know nothing of Nashville... What's 'fun' about Nashville? Is it far from Knoxville?

I like what you've revealed... Most helpful. You been there long?

Mike
Old Oct 29th 2007, 11:08 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britex01
I'm older than you, BritGuy. Add another 30+ years - sunshine... ... Thereabouts, anyway.

I've lived cities and I've lived rural (still do). I prefer rural but I could cope with a cultural city, much like Lincoln here in the UK, or cities like Amsterdam (I lovee Amsterdam) which, of course, I wouldn't find anywhere in the States... ...

Outdoorsy? Yes, to some extent. I still ride horseback quite frequently, so I would enjoy exploring the smokies, trails and so on.

I know nothing of Nashville... What's 'fun' about Nashville? Is it far from Knoxville?

I like what you've revealed... Most helpful. You been there long?

Mike
I've only passed through over the course of on day and thought it very run down. I to would love to live in the Smokys
Old Oct 29th 2007, 11:22 pm
In yonder hills

Originally Posted by Thydney
I've only passed through over the course of on day and thought it very run down. I to would love to live in the Smokys

Which 'city'? Nashville or Knoxville? ...

(Why on earth do they call little towns - cities? Gawd... )

What pics I've seen of the smokies make them look very inviting ...

M
Old Oct 30th 2007, 12:02 am
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

M
Knoxville
Old Oct 30th 2007, 12:19 am
In yonder hills

Originally Posted by Thydney
Knoxville

Oh, right.... Knoxville. Hmmm... You mean just short of a shanty town, bill boards quivering in the winds, smells galore, a town to avoid lest ye rot and pay the price at thy peril? Not really a cultural romantic sorta place then, eh? ...

Oh dear...

Mike
Old Oct 30th 2007, 1:38 am
Mr. Grumpy

Oh, right.... Knoxville. Hmmm... You mean just short of a shanty town, bill boards quivering in the winds, smells galore, a town to avoid lest ye rot and pay the price at thy peril? Not really a cultural romantic sorta place then, eh? ...

Oh dear...

Mike
its certainly not that bad!

knoxville like any place has poorer areas and more 'upscale' areas... its easy to get a negative opinion of anywhere is one visit

to be fair i think the whole place has improved a lot - certainly better than when I first went there 5 years ago...

its a big plus if you like american football (i do) the university of tn stadium makes wembley look like a shack and is bigger than the nou camp in barcelona...

theres many rivers and lakes in the area that make for good fishing and boozy weekends...

one of the main reasons I don't particularly like knoxville is that its not very urban - i like dense cities. if this is a non issue then my main bug bear with the place is eliminated...

if you like a more relaxed way of life it could well be right up your alley
Old Oct 30th 2007, 1:54 am
Not dead yet

Oh dear...

Mike
No not that extreme more in need of a bloody good wash
Old Oct 30th 2007, 11:53 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

M

In TN those are cities!
Old Oct 30th 2007, 1:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond repute

This one still makes me laugh .. ya know how somethings just blend into the background but, like 'erbs, I just can't not notice this one. Yea, yea, double negatives

We went hiking in the Lake district and Scotland this year for our UK holiday and he would still ask so what's the next city as we approached say, Luss.
Old Oct 30th 2007, 2:24 pm
In yonder hills

Originally Posted by Tootsie Frickensprinkles

We went hiking in the Lake district and Scotland this year for our UK holiday and he would still ask so what's the next city as we approached say, Luss.
In Britain, 'cities' are London, Manchester, Birmingham, Edinburgh, to name but a few... VAST urban sprawls. My wife, a Texan, lived in a small district of DFW, and called it a 'city'. When I first visited Texas a few years ago, I was confused until I learnt the difference between what you folk regard to be a city and what we regard to be a city.

It's just that I find it quite amusing, no more, no less...

Have a nice day ...
Old Oct 30th 2007, 3:26 pm
Mr. Grumpy

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
In TN those are cities!
the population of the city limits of nashville is greater than atlanta, miami, st louis, portland, seattle and has a metro population of about 1.6 million...

we're also getting the tallest building outside of chicago and nyc being built in downtown (apparently)

so its not all shacks...
Attached Thumbnails Knoxville, Tennessee... What's it like there?-sigad.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.