Knoxville?

Old Jul 31st 2011, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

fromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to all
Default Re: Knoxville?

Originally Posted by Brit In TN
Manor Born -
I see that your stomping grounds are Maryville nowadays. Making a number of assumptions here but where did you call home in the UK?

Oh, and do you still call it MARYville or have you slipped into local dialect and call it Murrvll now?
Tony, the reason I feel qualified to have banter with a Brummie is that I am a Black Country Boy. What were your assumptions? The monicker comes from the fact I was born in the Manor Hospital in Walsall. I have been here a little over 12 months now and have lapsed into a kind of hybrid Murr-iville. Where about in K-town are you?
Regards, Matt.
Old Jul 31st 2011, 10:02 am
Forum Regular

fromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Bob
Considering it was a comment on my personal choice...

It wouldn't be my first choice of location because I think the heat and humidity of Boston is more than enough and I'd rather not personally have more of it.

Secondly, there is absolutely no jobs in my industry down there. At all.

Thirdly, there's no family there, no friends and it's even more of a hassle to get back to the UK.

Anything else wouldn't be that important, but the thought of living in a place where I had to with absolute certainty, require a car and drive absolutely everywhere because there either isn't a public transport option, or because the weather, or any other reason meant I couldn't get around without the car kind of fills me with a bit of dread.

I also find the burbs of Boston has enough religion, and it's less in the face here, I don't know if I could put up with it in a more bible belt, happy location...and I can't stand country music.

So basically, for me to move to the middle of know where, it would have to be for a job, a very good one, with plenty of fall back options for the inevitable job collapse. Austin/Houston/Dallas would be the only 3 cities in the south that hit that for me, personally. Not even Orlando, Florida is a goer any more since the beginning of the year. Though Baton Rogue seems to be making a bit of an effort along with Atlanta, because of tax breaks.

Also, MIL had to spend a few weeks recently in TN, a few days in a couple of cities as well as in neighbouring states for various conferences. Sounded like a lovely holiday destination, but not somewhere I'd rather move to.
Thanks for taking the time to qualify your original response. However, let me respond with a few counter-points based on your (lack of) knowledge of East TN.
I'll give you it's hot and humid at the moment but probably no more so than the rest of the Eastern half of the United States.
There are no jobs in your industry down here.... Ahh, you are a fund raiser for an Irish terrorist group. See what I did there? Made an assumption based on your location.
No friends or family? This is an ex-pats forum, 99% of people have no friends or family here when they move. That is why they get comfort from logging on to a site like this.
The religion thing is a myth. Yes, there are a lot of people who attend church, but I have yet to find anyone who wants to ram it down your throat. And if by "happy" people you mean friendly and welcoming then bring it on. Country music is compulsory.... yeah, I went to Liverpool a couple of times and they tied me to a lamp-post and made me listen to The Beatles non-stop for 24 hours. Purr-lease!
So, if the OP is still reading, this middle of "know where" (sic) (hope your industry isn't teaching) backwater that is a 3 hour drive from Atlanta and Nashville, an 8 hour drive to DC or the beach resorts of N & S Carolina and the bit of Florida that's not on the pan-handle, or a short flight to much of the US, don't come... it's shit here.
Old Jul 31st 2011, 3:44 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Well that's the thing, if it's even as bad as the "rest of the Eastern half of the United States" I wouldn't really want to move there from where I already am.

And as for jobs, I know the job market of my industry and I know there isn't any jobs down there, never mind moving to a southern location with the one or two gigs.

As for friends and family, not all move to a random location for the sake of it, most move because of marriage, so yeah, there is a friends/family connection.

I also never said it was shit, you did. It's just not for me, on my personal circumstances, which you asked about. Also a 4+hr drive to a major location is the middle of no where, which of itself isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it's still the middle of nowhere.

It's fair to say you like the location, that's great. It's not a location that does anything for me, so why do you care? I wasn't trying to put the OP off, I just said personally it wouldn't be my first choice of location, and provided a good general site to find specifics to the location.

Originally Posted by fromthemanorborn
Thanks for taking the time to qualify your original response. However, let me respond with a few counter-points based on your (lack of) knowledge of East TN.
I'll give you it's hot and humid at the moment but probably no more so than the rest of the Eastern half of the United States.
There are no jobs in your industry down here.... Ahh, you are a fund raiser for an Irish terrorist group. See what I did there? Made an assumption based on your location.
No friends or family? This is an ex-pats forum, 99% of people have no friends or family here when they move. That is why they get comfort from logging on to a site like this.
The religion thing is a myth. Yes, there are a lot of people who attend church, but I have yet to find anyone who wants to ram it down your throat. And if by "happy" people you mean friendly and welcoming then bring it on. Country music is compulsory.... yeah, I went to Liverpool a couple of times and they tied me to a lamp-post and made me listen to The Beatles non-stop for 24 hours. Purr-lease!
So, if the OP is still reading, this middle of "know where" (sic) (hope your industry isn't teaching) backwater that is a 3 hour drive from Atlanta and Nashville, an 8 hour drive to DC or the beach resorts of N & S Carolina and the bit of Florida that's not on the pan-handle, or a short flight to much of the US, don't come... it's shit here.
Old Jul 31st 2011, 8:25 pm
Forum Regular

Brit In TN has a reputation beyond reputeBrit In TN has a reputation beyond reputeBrit In TN has a reputation beyond reputeBrit In TN has a reputation beyond reputeBrit In TN has a reputation beyond reputeBrit In TN has a reputation beyond reputeBrit In TN has a reputation beyond reputeBrit In TN has a reputation beyond reputeBrit In TN has a reputation beyond reputeBrit In TN has a reputation beyond reputeBrit In TN has a reputation beyond repute

Matt,
My assumptions were that you were actually an ex-pat and not merely the long suffering spouse of one. Also assumed that you weren't too young to actually have had a 'home' back in Blighty.
I live in Karns now which is just barely outside of the Knoxville city limits towards Oak Ridge.
I can see the attraction of Murrivile for you, so similar to Walsall in oh so many ways.
As for the being a Black Country boy thing, yo know you'm a Brummie reely don'ya? (Just one in denial.)
Have you tried the Indian places in Knoxville yet? Both are good, I prefer Taj though.
As I said in one of my posts I have slowly come to like the Knoxville area. Especially now that I have fairly easy access to footie on the telly, English foodstuff in some grocery stores, Indian restaurants and Stella Artois in the bars. None of those things existed here for many years after I first moved here.
I like to think that Knoxville changed to suit my needs rather than I've gone native.
If the OP does end up here, and acclimatises to the general changes of living in the US, I think he'll quite like the place. Especially the reasonable cost of living here.
Tara a bit
Tony
Old Jul 31st 2011, 8:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Redwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond repute

Haven't heard some of those expressions since I moved here from Brummagem over 30 years ago.
Old Aug 1st 2011, 4:42 pm
Forum Regular

Owamya Tone,

Matt,
My assumptions were that you were actually an ex-pat and not merely the long suffering spouse of one. Also assumed that you weren't too young to actually have had a 'home' back in Blighty.
Just gone through the 2 year marriage barrier, so not that "long suffering". Especially when you take out the 8 or so months spent apart waiting for the visa. UK was home for over 40 years so you were right there.

I can see the attraction of Murrivile for you, so similar to Walsall in oh so many ways.
Hmmm, don't think the places are likely to be twinned any time soon.

As for the being a Black Country boy thing, yo know you'm a Brummie reely don'ya? (Just one in denial.)
NEVER, NEVER, NEVER. Doh talk saft. Yow know yow Brummies am jealous a
bein' born a few moiles tew fair South n East.

Have you tried the Indian places in Knoxville yet? Both are good, I prefer Taj though.
I have not been to Taj but have been to Sitar a number of times and thought it pretty good. Don't know when you last went back to the UK but Indian restaurants have come on leaps and bounds in the last 20 or so years, especially in our part of the world where the competition has driven the standard to exceptional heights. I had 3 top quality restaurants, offering differing styles of Indian cooking, within walking distance of where I lived in the North of Walsall. That's without venturing into the town centre or to Wolverhampton or Birmingham where there are national award winning establishments. Will give the Taj a try in the near future.

Especially now that I have fairly easy access to footie on the telly
Are you Claret and Blue or just Blue? I know Mr.Redwing to be a (lapsed) Bluenose. Shame they couldn't survive on that final day as it was good last season to have the big 4 WM clubs in the top flight. For the moment, that remains a dream for my lot...

If the OP does end up here, and acclimatises to the general changes of living in the US, I think he'll quite like the place. Especially the reasonable cost of living here.
Tara a bit
Tony
Once again you make an excellent point. The cost of living and indeed property prices, are both reasonable when compared to much of the US or to the UK. The lack of state income tax (tempered by a higher sales tax, granted) is also advantageous in my eyes.
Matt
Old Aug 20th 2011, 10:23 pm
Just Joined

cjwakefield is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello CJ,
I'm from Brum originally. Lived there for about thirty years, have lived in Knoxville TN for about twenty years now.
I never really intended to live here but have gradually grown to really like the place.

I'm assuming you are aware of and have taken care of all the required visas, green cards etc. Also assuming you're aware of the need for health insurance as there is no National Health over here.

Moving on -

A few pluses :
With the exception of July and August (very hot and humid), weather is generally reasonable. Warm and sunny most of the year, chilly in winter but not much snow.
For its size a fairly busy place. Lots of entertainment; live music, movie theatres, restaurants, bars etc.
Lots of parks, lakes for leisurely walks or boating (if that's your thing.)
A short drive from the Smokey Mountains and in particular Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge. (Both are tourist hotspots - Have a look on Google.)
Reasonably kid friendly with some good schools to be found, especially private ones.
Being located at the 'junction' of I-75 and I-40 means it is reasonably simple to drive from either Florida to Michigan or (almost) east coast to (almost) west coast.
Airport is not the busiest in the world but it is just a short flight to Atlanta, Chicago, New York and Washington DC. All of which offer flights to many major cities worldwide.
Very low major crime rate and not too much in the way of petty crime. Certainly not anything that keeps you locked inside your house at night. (With the exception of one or two small areas of town.)
A reasonable amount of British food items can be found at some supermarkets.
A couple of Indian restaurants exist.
Can't really talk about the job market as I've been fortunate enough to not have to worry about finding work.
Some minuses :
You MUST have a car. Public transport is almost non-existant.
With that in mind the road system around and through Knoxville is fairly good. Easily navigable (once you are used to it) and lots of free parking.
People will persistantly ask if you are Australian.
July and August are HOT and HUMID! Currently 95degF with heat index of 101degF ie. HOT (live somewhere with air-con, almost everywhere has it.)
Really no other minuses than you would likely find in moving to almost anywhere in the US from the UK.

Depending where you are moving from will dictate how 'easy' the transition is. If you are moving from a massive city or a tiny village then the transition will be more of a shock than if you were moving from, say, Coventry.
Either way you will be changing not only country but continent and there will be many minor and major differences to get used to.

Let me know if you have any questions.

All the best
Tony
Thanks EVERYONE for your time and thoughts (especially Brit in TN) - really helpful stuff. All the best to you all.

CJ
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 10:17 pm
Forum Regular

Brit In TN has a reputation beyond reputeBrit In TN has a reputation beyond reputeBrit In TN has a reputation beyond reputeBrit In TN has a reputation beyond reputeBrit In TN has a reputation beyond reputeBrit In TN has a reputation beyond reputeBrit In TN has a reputation beyond reputeBrit In TN has a reputation beyond reputeBrit In TN has a reputation beyond reputeBrit In TN has a reputation beyond reputeBrit In TN has a reputation beyond repute

Happy to help. If your move looks like it will be happening, feel free to get in touch either on here or by PM.
Old Dec 1st 2011, 12:09 am
Just Joined

UK2TN is an unknown quantity at this point

I just moved to Knoxville with my wife and 2 kids and so far we're doing well although have yet to start looking for work. We've been coming here for the last 10 years on holiday to visit family as my wife is a local and we've been living in Surrey so a bit if a change We finally decided to make the move so our boys could grow up around more family.

I could recommend the Hardin Valley area - its relatively new and upcomming and has a great new elementary school and high school and a bunch of new subdivisions with reasonably priced but nice homes.

Good luck with your move if you decide to make it. Life is good here and agree with most of the positive posts. People on the whole are friendly and whilst it is a city it has more of a large town feel to it (saying that it does have a big university with a 'football' stadium that seats >100,000!).

Only negative is there is still racism in some sections of the uneducated community - especially the older generations but so far its been a minority of people I have met over the years coming here.
Old Dec 1st 2011, 1:23 pm
Forum Regular

(saying that it does have a big university with a 'football' stadium that seats >100,000!).
Shame they don't have a team to match the impressive stadium. I was in Lexington last Saturday to see their first defeat to Kentucky since 1984. Embarrassing!

Last edited by fromthemanorborn; Dec 1st 2011 at 1:29 pm.
Old Dec 1st 2011, 2:04 pm
Just Joined

UK2TN is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh yeah not so good this year is it! Dooley seems a decent coach though both on and off the field with his guys....they might not win anything for a couple of years but I think you will see less scandals in the news! Its going to take that long for a new coach to build and there are some good signs this year at least with some players.

I think if you were to look back at many of the top coaches first few years they will have similar win/loss numbers and he was left with a mess to deal with after the Kiffin disaster.

Fingers crossed!
Old Dec 1st 2011, 2:53 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I was in Lexington last Saturday to see their first defeat to Kentucky since 1984.
I thought it was a fine game!

Ian
Old Dec 1st 2011, 4:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by UK2TN
Oh yeah not so good this year is it! Dooley seems a decent coach though both on and off the field with his guys....they might not win anything for a couple of years but I think you will see less scandals in the news! Its going to take that long for a new coach to build and there are some good signs this year at least with some players.

I think if you were to look back at many of the top coaches first few years they will have similar win/loss numbers and he was left with a mess to deal with after the Kiffin disaster.

Fingers crossed!
I completely agree with you and I think DD does deserve some time to turn around the mess he inherited. The schedule this year was brutal with games from Oct 8th reading Georgia, LSU, Alabama, SC followed by Arkansas two weeks later. However, that is SEC football and with a softer schedule next year (no LSU or Arkansas, I think) he needs to win 8 or 9 games minimum to say the team is progressing and maybe keep his job. He can't keep using the "young team " excuse.

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I thought it was a fine game!

Ian
I thought you might, Ian.
Technically, it was an awful game riddled with mistakes from two awful teams. The difference was that the UK team showed a hunger and desire to win that was sadly lacking in the UT boys. What makes it even worse from a Tennessee perspective is that Kentucky used a WR at QB. As I say, embarrassing.
On a positive note I did find Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale on tap in the hotel which is fantastic. At nearly 9% alcohol, its a sipper rather than a session but it is really good. Had to stop off at Liquor World in Richmond on the way back to pick some up for Christmas.
Old Dec 1st 2011, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

jukes is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cjwakefield
Hi everyone.

My wife and I are considering a move with our 3 kids to Knoxville, TN. Even though I'm half American we have lived in the UK our whole lives and are definitely more British than American.

Just wondered if you would recommend moving to Knoxville and if so could you recommend some good areas to live? What are the pluses & minuses about Knoxville?

Cheers

CJ
What is it about Knoxville that interests you as a place to live? Have you visited it? I am like you, half American but have always lived in England and my husband is English and kids too! We have decided to make use of my US citizenship and are moving to Asheville, NC. After extensive research and experience of holidays in other parts of the US too, we decided on Asheville as it ticks so many boxes for us. Our main concern is employment and healthcare! We are due to go in February if we can get the immigration interview out of the way. If you have to get immigration visas for your spouse/kids allow at least 7 months for it to be processed and lots of expense and paperwork!
We have decided to rent our house out in England, and give it a year, if all well then we will sell it and buy in US.
All the best.

Last edited by jukes; Dec 1st 2011 at 5:36 pm.
Old Dec 1st 2011, 5:31 pm
Forum Regular

Karen68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really nice

Tony, the reason I feel qualified to have banter with a Brummie is that I am a Black Country Boy. What were your assumptions? The monicker comes from the fact I was born in the Manor Hospital in Walsall. I have been here a little over 12 months now and have lapsed into a kind of hybrid Murr-iville. Where about in K-town are you?
Regards, Matt.
Hey, I was born there too! At work, in central Birmingham, we from Walsall were not Brummies or Black Country-ites but 'yam yams' as apparently it's a Walsall thing to say 'yam' instead of 'you are' (not that I ever said it in my entire life). My sister is the posh one as she was a home birth in Lichfield. Similarly, one of mine was born at the Manor and her posh sister was born at No Hope.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.