Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

A knock at the door

Wikiposts

A knock at the door

Old Aug 29th 2007, 3:34 pm
Greatly Missed. RIP

DollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A knock at the door

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I don't care what the odds are...it's my neck we're talking about.
Maybe you should think of getting another Doberman.
Old Aug 29th 2007, 3:35 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Would you be adverse to this on your roof ...

Old Aug 29th 2007, 3:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DollyLlama
Maybe you should think of getting another Doberman.
Sadly even a dobe is no match against a gun.

Anyway my little dogs could trip them up.
Old Aug 29th 2007, 3:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond repute

I can understand you being scared - terrified even. But to the point of buying a gun??

Why don't you get a doberman like you mentioned previously?

Just because half of Americans (or whatever the percentage is - higher probably) own a gun, doesn't mean to say we all need to go that route? Does it?

I only read today on the BBC News website how a 3 year old girl was found in a house in the UK after a shooting incident (2 men were murdered, she survived) .. actually, that's got nothing to do with this really other than it's so much more prevalent these days, and very much on my mind (and in my face on the news/net)
Old Aug 29th 2007, 3:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mandana
I can understand you being scared - terrified even. But to the point of buying a gun??

Why don't you get a doberman like you mentioned previously?

Just because half of Americans (or whatever the percentage is - higher probably) own a gun, doesn't mean to say we all need to go that route? Does it?

I only read today on the BBC News website how a 3 year old girl was found in a house in the UK after a shooting incident (2 men were murdered, she survived) .. actually, that's got nothing to do with this really other than it's so much more prevalent these days, and very much on my mind (and in my face on the news/net)
I'm jesting. As I previously said we are upgrading our security system and the local police are about a mile away. I still feel much safer than I did in the UK...there is not so much petty crime here. I'll also be enlisting Ray and Rushy as my personal security guards...Thyd will be back up and my friend Leslie would scare the most hardened of criminals away. Between you and me she could scare a pit bull at 100 paces.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Aug 29th 2007 at 3:49 pm.
Old Aug 29th 2007, 3:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond repute

I'm jesting. As I previously said we are upgrading our security system and the local police are about a mile away. I still feel much safer than I did in the UK...there is not so much petty crime here. I'll also be enlisting Ray and Rushy as my personal security guards...Thyd will be back up.
Fair enough.

It's a bit close to home for me (coming up to the first anniversary of a friend's son's murder). Feeling a tad sensitive on the issue.
Old Aug 29th 2007, 3:48 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Mandana
Fair enough.

It's a bit close to home for me (coming up to the first anniversary of a friend's son's murder). Feeling a tad sensitive on the issue.
Gun ownership is a very tricky area to get into on BE. Personally I have no wish to own one but if a violent crime happened to me or mine...well who knows but I am pretty sure I would use one.
Old Aug 29th 2007, 4:01 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

and you were the person I was thinking of who would be nearer.
By the time I got there to help the burglar couldve grown a beard.
Old Aug 29th 2007, 4:44 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Gun ownership is a very tricky area to get into on BE. Personally I have no wish to own one but if a violent crime happened to me or mine...well who knows but I am pretty sure I would use one.
that was the way i felt until my next door neighbour was murdered in an attempted carjacking at the stop sign outside my house

when i was in england in april a couple of friends came round to drop off some stuff for me after dark, apparently they both yelled out 'its *****, put the gun down!' since they knew my wife moved our handgun from my side to her side of the bed when I'm not in town and probably had it on her when answering the door (she did).

All I know is that if someone breaks in my door I have a few seconds warning from my dog which is enough to grab my handgun, if they come in the bedroom they get ventilated, if they are in the house i have some time to get orientated....
Old Aug 30th 2007, 1:28 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Hold on - so you live in a low-crime area, a guy knocked on your door, went away apparently peacefully when he didn't get an answer, was later arrested (you don't mention any violence) and you're thinking about buying a gun?

Scuse me if I missed any details - it's been a long thread.
Old Aug 30th 2007, 1:37 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

The last 'crime' we had in this area was around 20 yrs ago...so it is classed as a 'safe area'...but yes it does make you think. I hate to admit it but I am thinking of getting a XXX. See I don't even want to say the word.
and yet you say you feel safer living here than when you did back in the uk yrs ago. so did you consider owning a gun back then? lol you might now but i'm talking yrs ago when you lived there.
Old Aug 30th 2007, 2:09 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by TruBrit
and yet you say you feel safer living here than when you did back in the uk yrs ago. so did you consider owning a gun back then? lol you might now but i'm talking yrs ago when you lived there.
I had 2 mean dobermans...a better built house with stronger and secure windows, doors and door locks. We had IMO a much better security system too.
Old Aug 30th 2007, 4:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

I had 2 mean dobermans...a better built house with stronger and secure windows, doors and door locks. We had IMO a much better security system too.
A gun should be part of a layered system at home; consider spending the money on better doors and windows first.... then buy the biggest meanest "dirty harry" gun you can get.

Last edited by anotherlimey; Aug 30th 2007 at 4:06 am.
Old Aug 30th 2007, 4:15 am
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Thing is people could walk in through the walls around here...I miss brick houses....
Old Aug 30th 2007, 4:19 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

I'm jesting. As I previously said we are upgrading our security system and the local police are about a mile away. I still feel much safer than I did in the UK...there is not so much petty crime here. I'll also be enlisting Ray and Rushy as my personal security guards...Thyd will be back up and my friend Leslie would scare the most hardened of criminals away. Between you and me she could scare a pit bull at 100 paces.
Sometimes in the grocery store I like to make children cry when their parents aren't looking...... but only the ones that are being little shits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.