Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

A knock at the door

Wikiposts

A knock at the door

Old Aug 26th 2007, 8:49 am
Twice half his height

Knight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A knock at the door

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
A few nights ago around 10.30 pm someone knocked at our door...we could see it was quite a large guy with long hair. There was no car to be seen so we didn't answer the door...instead my husband called the local police. They picked the guy up shortly afterwards in the woods nearby. He was a druggie who had escaped earlier that day and the police had been searching for him. There are only 3 houses on our road and it's quite rural...not the sort of place you would normally find people walking around. He is now back behind bars. Makes one wonder what could have happened if we'd opened the door.
That is pretty bad, does make you wonder.

Do you know if he'd come straight to your house, or had he tried the other 2 houses first?

There's only 4 houses beside each other where I am going, I'll have to remember never to answer the door (It'll be too hot in MS for me to want to open the door anyway!)
Old Aug 26th 2007, 8:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

The previous owner of our house in Chester used to invite them in for tea. They only knocked on our door once after we moved in. I don't like to beat about the bush...they soon realised they weren't welcome.
I have a friend whose family would invite them in, and then try to convert them. Must be interesting to have the tables turned!
Old Aug 26th 2007, 8:58 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Knight
That is pretty bad, does make you wonder.

Do you know if he'd come straight to your house, or had he tried the other 2 houses first?

There's only 4 houses beside each other where I am going, I'll have to remember never to answer the door (It'll be too hot in MS for me to want to open the door anyway!)
I don't know...the police have been a little cagey about the whole thing.

Apart from nearly getting involved in cop shoot out about 9 yrs ago...it's the first time we've encountered anything like this.
Old Aug 26th 2007, 9:10 am
Twice half his height

Knight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know...the police have been a little cagey about the whole thing.

Apart from nearly getting involved in cop shoot out about 9 yrs ago...it's the first time we've encountered anything like this.
Oh, I take it you're not close enough to the neighbours to go and ask them...

Shame you didn't qualify for a reward for helping them catch an escapee.
Old Aug 26th 2007, 9:15 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, I take it you're not close enough to the neighbours to go and ask them...

Shame you didn't qualify for a reward for helping them catch an escapee.
We are the first house on the road...so I guess he came to us first. The police then picked him up within minutes...he wouldn't have had time to get to the other houses.
Old Aug 26th 2007, 9:17 am
Twice half his height

We are the first house on the road...so I guess he came to us first. The police then picked him up within minutes...he wouldn't have had time to get to the other houses.
Not gonna change your mind and get a weapon then? Or maybe just put 911 on speed dial, heh.
Old Aug 26th 2007, 9:22 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Not gonna change your mind and get a weapon then? Or maybe just put 911 on speed dial, heh.
Nope...normally the only crime in this little area are traffic violations. Although wherever you live you have to becareful...it's very easy to all of a sudden find yourself in a bad area...especially after dark if you don't know your way around. However we are now expecting a visit from our security company next week...any new upgrades and we'll be getting them.
Old Aug 26th 2007, 9:52 am
Twice half his height

Nope...normally the only crime in this little area are traffic violations. Although wherever you live you have to becareful...it's very easy to all of a sudden find yourself in a bad area...especially after dark if you don't know your way around. However we are now expecting a visit from our security company next week...any new upgrades and we'll be getting them.
Is that not a bit knee jerk?

But, I suppose if something did happen again, you'd be better off with the extra security some one will probably try to come and sell you soon...
Old Aug 26th 2007, 9:54 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Is that not a bit knee jerk?

But, I suppose if something did happen again, you'd be better off with the extra security some one will probably try to come and sell you soon...
Nope I don't think so it's something we've been meaning to do for a while. Besides what if it is?
Old Aug 26th 2007, 10:04 am
Twice half his height

Nope I don't think so it's something we've been meaning to do for a while. Besides what if it is?
Nooo, sorry. I didn't mean it in a nasty way.

I've never been in a situation like that (thankfully) so I can't appreciate how it makes you feel.

I had meant it more in the way of do you think that security companies will try and play up on this and get people to buy security "stuff" they do not need for the area they are in. That just seems a bit unscrupulous to me.
Old Aug 26th 2007, 10:07 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Nooo, sorry. I didn't mean it in a nasty way.

I've never been in a situation like that (thankfully) so I can't appreciate how it makes you feel.

I had meant it more in the way of do you think that security companies will try and play up on this and get people to buy security "stuff" they do not need for the area they are in. That just seems a bit unscrupulous to me.
They will be on a need to know basis...and they don't need to know what happened the other night.
Old Aug 26th 2007, 10:09 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Do I need to give my advice ...
Old Aug 26th 2007, 10:13 am

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point

Glad your OK JG. I thought you had a dog? I hate my dogs when they demand walking, lay 'dog logs' in the back garden, sneak on the bed at 4 a.m., cover my truck in dog hairs, pee on hay bales at the barn, and the one that makes stinkies after she eats rawhides; but they help keep the undesirables away.

Thank you...there was a recent incident in Conn. where 2 escaped druggies broke into a house at night. That turned out to be an extremely horrific case. Makes one think about gun ownership. We do not own a gun and don't particularly want to but it does make one wonder.
Old Aug 26th 2007, 10:16 am
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DollyLlama
Whenever I see 2 young men in black suits with their little badges on,(mormon missionaries) I don't answer
We had them come around here once Bruno went ballistic trying to get at them they changed colour and left never been back since.
Old Aug 26th 2007, 10:23 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Ray
Do I need to give my advice ...
noooooooooooooo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.